Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I have been reading through the threads for a few hours. I cannot find many people discussing my problem so I am starting my own thread.

We have a BEV 9200 for 5 years. Worked great, loved it .. had only minor problems (jump to live, no HDMI etc.).

Anyways, the power was out because of a storm this week for 245 hours.

Turned on the tv and the 9200. Only TV1 would work.

I call Bell support, she tells me to hold in the Mode button for 10 seconds. I do it .... .and the 9200 has not worked since. I can hear the HD trying, a single green light on the front comes on for 30 seconds then goes off, repeating this process for hours on end. Call support again, they say my 9200 is likely dead and they are selling me a refurb 9242.

So a few questions for the wise techies here:

1. has anyone been able to get past this green light/endless boot problem?

2. the 9242 .. .please tell me you can operate 2 tv's with it and can both access the same HD?????

Our 9200 is a 5 year old unit. I realize these things die and hard drives have a short life. I was completely prepared to upgrade to a brand new unit and pay big bucks for the privledge. UNTIL I FOUND OUT THAT YOU CANNOT OPERATE 2 TELEVISIONS FROM ONE PVR ANYMORE.

Why the heck would BEV take a technological step back?

Any help or comments appreciated.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
1. No, although I have never in all my time dealing with Bell heard of a CSR telling someone to hold in the 'mode' button, that makes zero sense. Holding in the 'power' button will force a re-boot, so will removing the Card and re-inserting after the screen shows "system Info".
2. Yes, it is effectively an MPEG4 version of the 9200 with the added advantage that you can use an External Drive for increased recording capabilities.

You are correct that the last HD PVR released by Bell, the 9241, is just for 1 TV.

Another option for you, depending on the price Bell wanted for the 9242, is to get a replacement 9200, around $150, you then ship yours back to them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Pinza. I have read a lot of your posts in the last 24 hours.

The support person was trying to fix the issue of the TV2 not getting a signal. We had TV1 working perfectly before we tried the Mode button. Since holding in the Mode button, the 9200 has not come back up.

Yes, they are selling me a refurb for $150. They say they are trying toget a 9200 for me but the only available unit today is a 9242. Which does not sound like a bad deal.

Glad to hear the 9242 can use the second TV ... and I can add a 2nd HD!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more question.

Because my problem started with an extended period without electricity. Is it a good idea to purchase a battery backup for the 9242?

Dont want this to happen again.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
A UPS is always recommended for PVRs, however, usually people purchase a relatively small one - say 500-750 VA and plug only the PVR or other small draw devices into the battery protected side, and plug the large users like a TV into the surge only side. This will typically provide 1-3 hours of backup for the PVR, however, not for "extended" periods. Since PVRs draw a fair bit of power even in standby, if you expect an extended outage, you would turn the PVR off, then unplug it. Plenty of UPS have been discussed in this forum.

Sample thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131302

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Yes, they are selling me a refurb for $150. They say they are trying toget a 9200 for me but the only available unit today is a 9242. Which does not sound like a bad deal.
Take the 9242. That's a very good deal. The 9242 is an upgrade from the 9200. Don't confuse it with the 9241 which is a downgrade.

As 57 said, get a small UPS for the PVR. Anything from 350VA on up will do just as long as nothing else is on the power backup side. It will virtually eliminate problems caused by voltage spikes, surges and dropouts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New development.

After unplugging the unit for 24 hours. I started up.

However, I am back to the origonal problem of the TV2 not working. The light is on the front suggesting it is on 2 tvs. But cannot get reception on the second tv.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Has the TV2 out channel changed?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If has gone back to default settings it will be on Ch 60.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nah, not on 60. I looked thru every channel.

Later today when I get some free time I will bring a small tv and a short piece of coaxial by the 9200 and try to see if I can get that tv to work.

Where can you see the 2nd tv channel settings on the menus?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Menu, 6, 1, 5.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Make sure the band matches on the 9200 and TV as well, either Antenna or Cable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
>>>>>Menu, 6, 1, 5.

thanks, and it is on channel 73 & cable

which is what it was on for the last 5 years

Now, we just realized that we are not getting any of the HD channels above 800.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
All HD is above 800, if I recall correctly.

What about doing a Check Switch;

Menu 6, 1, 1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks, it looks fine

I have 2 other non-pvr boxes (3100's) running off the same dish, they have not had any problems and are working perfectly .. which figures because I dont own those ones :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow, have not touched it in 24 hours ... it is working perfectly!

so the moral of this story ...unplug it for a day .. plugged it in then leave it for another day

drink a couple ceremonial beers

and its fixed

go figure

1 - 17 of 17 Posts