Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this antenna installed in my attic above my garage:

The auto scan picked up 30 channels. It doesn't pick up fox which is a vhf broadcast which I'm still trying to figure out. My antenna is currently mounted very close to the roof in the attic, I'm going to try lowering it as much as I can next time I go up there but it's only going to move about 1'-1.5' at most. If that doesn't work I'm going to try making a bigger vhf antenna with copper tape or copper pipe to see if that works.

I own two of these antennas:

This morning, I put one of the amplifiers that came with the Monoprice antennas in front of my splitter and the auto scan now picks up 45 channels and the signal improved on all of the other channels. Of the new channels that were added, there are maybe 8 or 9 that have a signal of about 60-70% but the channels keep freezing briefly, it's borderline watchable. Some people might be ok with it but for me I can't watch something like that. The 8 or 9 channels are all on two different channels, for example: 31-1, 31-2, 31-3, 31-4 and 38-1, 38-2, 38-3, 38-4, 38-5. Would adding the second amplifier I have right after the first amplifier be a good or bad idea? I don't know if adding the second amplifier could potentially cause damage to my tv's so I'm hesitant to try it.
At the moment the antenna is simply attached to a 2x4 in the attic and the actual antenna itself is not grounded. I don't know if adding a ground is necessary or would be beneficial at this point. I intend on grounding it next time I go up there. There is a 3 way splitter in my basement that is grounded, so I assume that is a sufficient ground for the coaxial cable? I only use two of the outputs on the splitter so I ordered a new 2 way splitter which I'm waiting for still. Again, I don't know how much of a difference that will make but it might help.
The cable from the antenna to the splitter is maybe 30' and I'm pretty sure it is a rg6 cable. One of the existing cables in the house(not sure what type of cable it is) is maybe about 40-50' to the one tv and the other cable is maybe about 15-20'. The channels come in pretty much the same on both tv's.

Hopefully I explained that well enough that it makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
No using two amplifiers is not a good idea.
Your best bet would be to improve the coverage of your existing antenna by installing it outside, above the roof unobstructed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I'm aware an outside installation will always be best but I'm trying to avoid that route if I can help it. There is no easy place to install the antenna without putting holes in my shingles or a lot of extra work and added expenses. I know you can install a mount right on the shingles but I don't want to do that, and if I have to buy more than a few dollars worth of supplies I'll have to listen to my wife which I'm also trying to avoid

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
:rolleyes:
Don't expect optimal performance from an antenna that is not installed in an optimal manner.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You should never try to avoid listening to your wife. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
This morning, I put one of the amplifiers that came with the Monoprice antennas in front of my splitter and the auto scan now picks up 45 channels and the signal improved on all of the other channels.
The best place for an amplifier is at the antenna. They are usually called preamplifiers and are designed to improve reception. It sounds like you are using distribution amplifiers which are meant to prevent losses from signal splitting, not improve reception.
It doesn't pick up fox which is a vhf broadcast which I'm still trying to figure out.
VHF channels are often difficult to pick up due to lower transmitter power levels and higher environmental noise levels.
Of the new channels that were added, there are maybe 8 or 9 that have a signal of about 60-70% but the channels keep freezing briefly, it's borderline watchable.
That could be due to electromagnetic interference (EMI.) I had a similar situation here for a long time on a VHF channel. The source of EMI can be difficult to find and will affect weak stations. It could also be caused by a non-stationary object that is occasionally blocking or reflecting the signal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts