Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got Rogers Lite internet service and a wireless router. Periodically (sometimes very frequently) the internet connection on my laptop goes away. The wireless utility icon in the sys tray still shows that I'm connected, but any HTTP access results in a time out. Typical "solution" is to toggle the wifi on my laptop off/on (it's a convenient button).

So is it the router (an inexpensive D-Link WBR-1310) or the cable modem (Motorola SurfBoard 5100)? My initial guess is the modem is doing something stupid (since it appears that my wireless connection is still good to the router); unfortunately I didn't think until now to try login on to the router when this happens to confirm that part. The reason I am not 100% convinced it is the modem is that every once in a while, it takes a significant time to establish the wireless connection. Typically it takes just a few seconds, but every once in a while it will sit there trying continually, for 2-3 minutes.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, another reason to suspect the router is that my desktop is connected to one of the router ports (wired), and I never had this issue with the desktop. So it would appear that the connection between the router and the internet (through the modem) is fine.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
One of the WiFi routers I own is that D-link WBR 1310 and I have noticed the same behaviour. I just pull the power on it for a couple of second and power it up again to clear the problem.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a bit of googling, and at least one "solution" was to update the firmware. It was a different h/w rev of the model but I thought I'd give it a try. I was running something like 4.0 and the latest firmware was 4.13 (I've got a rev D1 unit). I also enabled the auto channel scan -- I *think* that may help with the intermittent slow connect times, doubt it will make a difference with dropped connections.

·
Registered
333 Posts
That router is a piece of garbage. I had the same problems and tried a lot of 'fixes' and nothing helped. Replaced it with a Linksys wrt54gl and problem solved!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny, I had a Linksys (different model, though) and replaced it with the D-Link. The D-Link would not work with my kids' DSs.

By the way, so far, so good. It hasn't been very long, though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used to have a WBR 1310, most useless pile of crud I've ever seen for wireless connections and no amount of firmware updatres fixed it, dropped connections on a regular basis, also wired connections got broken....just sad it got to the point of it got deep six'ed, replaced by a Linksys WRT64G v8 and it worked fine until I got a new laptop with N and dual band card, so it was a step up to a WRT-610N, I still use the WRT54G as a basic wired switch and B access for an extremely old laptop....both units work magic still.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been having the same problem the last month or so and was wondering whether it was my Rogers Motorola 5100 modem or with my D-Link router DIR615. Should I upgrade my router?

·
Registered
47 Posts
But will that also affect the desktop connectivity even though that particular unit is connected through an ethernet cable.

In either case, I have switched the wireless channel and hopefully that will solve the problem. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See if you have an auto channel scan feature. That may have had something to do with my improved results the last couple of days. Possibly the fact that my son (and his laptop/iPod) have been away at camp might also have something to do with this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm still having drops in my connection. How could I go about in finding out what the issue is? I tried the auto channel scan and that didn't work. I tried to setting it in one of the manual channels and that didn't work. Before I spend money on a router with more range (which is going to cost me more), I want to make sure that the router is the culprit and not the modem. Should I bother calling Rogers?

I have the DIR 615 router and we have the following devices connected: desktop, two laptops, a PS3, two iPod Touch. We do a lot of streaming, surfing and gaming so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
Does the problem also occur with ethernet connected computers? If no, the problem is with the WiFi portion of the router. If yes, the problem could be in either the modem or router.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you for the response. Yes, the problem also occurs with the ethernet connected computer (desktop). Will the newer Rogers modem might help solve the problem? I still have the original Motorola 5100 that they first gave me when I signed up for their services.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
It might also be something outside your home. I had a problem last year. It turned out to be the cable coming into my building from the street. Do the modem lights show you're still connected when the problem occurs?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I'm *almost* convinced my issues had to do with the auto-scan. Although I had checked to see what channels were in-use around me and picked on that appeared free, it's quite possible that others are also using auto-scan. I have a feeling my router doesn't have the strongest transmit power.

Earlier today I thought I had dropped the connection -- could not find google. I was just about to turn off/on my laptop's wireless to fix it when the connections came back up -- took maybe about 10 seconds or so. Maybe that was auto-scan in action?

·
Registered
47 Posts
It might also be something outside your home. I had a problem last year. It turned out to be the cable coming into my building from the street. Do the modem lights show you're still connected when the problem occurs?
No, it reboots itself and in a few minutes the connection goes back up again. It roughly happens every hour or two hours at a time.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
If it reboots, then it's likely a modem problem. If it's Rogers' modem, have them replace it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts