Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an existing way to manage my recording outside of my livingroom ?

For example I know I will be stuck at work but I would like to have my PVR record a show at 8pm but fist I have to erase an existing show ...? The PVR has an IP address, is there an existing web interface for it ? or may be a software exist to remotely connect to it.

If not, are you aware of any plans to support such a feature or is it too much to ask ....

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Curious, is there anyway to find out the IP address of a box inside your home?

Don't think it would have any value, just curious.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
I believe it's on page 4 of my 8300HD as well - bottom left. If you've got an 8300(SD), then it may be on a different page. If it says "unavailable" that's weird...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
thanks 57!

·
Registered
715 Posts
beleu said:
The PVR has an IP address, is there an existing web interface for it ? or may be a software exist to remotely connect to it.
While I think it would be exceedingly cool if that was the case, I think you're out of luck for a couple reasons:

1) It would be too big of a security issue to allow (can you imagine the problem they'd have trying to keep people from hacking into other people's STB's?)

2) While the box does have an IP address, I'd be just about certain that the box is _not_ connected to the Internet. It's working over Internet _Protocol_, but not connected to the Internet itself, but rather to Rogers' proprietary network. This is the same as how VoIP is/will be handled by fixed-service VoIP providers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's definately possible, I currently have an HTPC w/ Snapstream's BeyondTV installed. I can connect to their .net site and administer my recordings from there. There's no reason why Rogers/SA couldn't do the same.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
lagerlvr,
pjreid didn't say it was impossible, only that it was unlikely it would be made available. I see many security reasons why its prudent to keep it under wraps not to mention expensive.

The IP range 47.0.0.0 - 47.255.255.255 is registered to Nortel Networks.

Tried to ping mine and connect but connection was refused or timed out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
may be rogers can add a phone interface that is voice driven like their tech support :D

Anything allowing me to manage the PVR away from home would be welcome. Anyway thanks to the HDD extension it is now less of an issue...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hmm ok here is a suggestion have not tried

You will need a computer with an infrared port and a web cam or a VIDEO in port and some IRDA software lke http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA005810/remocon/remocone.htm and something like VNC destop remote control

option 1 Plug web cam into PC. Point camera at TV or option 2 plug video out from rogers 8000 into video in port in your pc. So you now have an image of the Television screen on your PC.

Then use VNC or an internet accessible web page to view the screen and remotly control the remote control software. Yeah sounds a little bit like a fudge but in theory would take a couple of hours to set up and would probably work well.

If you have a HTPC that is internet connected you maybe able to link it to your 8300 this way and you may not need any extra hardware.

·
Registered
751 Posts
beleu said:
Anything allowing me to manage the PVR away from home would be welcome.
- Get a PC and install an IR transmitter, a webcam or video capture card, and an internet connection.

- Point the IR transmitter at your STB.

- If using a webcam, point it at your TV. If using a video capture card, hook it up to a video ouput on your STB.

- Write or obtain software to allow the IR transmitter to send STB control codes. You will also want to send TV control codes if using a webcam.

- Install webserver software.

- Write or obtain a CGI script for the webserver that displays the output of the webcam or capture card and allows you to control the IR transmitter.

You now have your wish. (Well, you did say "anything" ;) )

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's funny we both had the same Idea (beat you by a last edit update of 5 minutes so I get the patent :)

Anyway this opens up a lot of possibilities depending on the refresh rate / bandwitdh etc (damm that rogers 60gb limit) you could theoretically set up a system to do exactly what that sony product does and watch TV over the internet when you are at work.

gosh I just had an ICRAVETV.COM flash back...

·
Registered
751 Posts
TVJunkie said:
It's funny we both had the same Idea (beat you by a last edit update of 5 minutes so I get the patent :)
Yes, I must not be able to type as fast as you :) . Actually, I was interrupted by having a conversation with a co-worker while I was composing, or I may have beaten you.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I don't even think you'd need the webcam really. As long as the HTPC's time is sync'd with Rogers (and Rogers apparently uses NTP to set it's time, since my HTPC's time is to-the-second with the 8300HD), you'd just need it to send a certain batch of IR codes.

I can see it being a pain, but doable. (though not at all %100 percent accurate 100% of the time)

All you would need is a web interface (which I already have), a tv schedule grabber (which I also have thanks to zap2it's datadirect service), the IR blaster, and you tell it the time, and channel you want to record. Since the HTPC would know what time the Rogers box is set for, and which shows *SHOULD* be in the guide, it'd just need to send a string of IR codes to it. Obviously there'd be no way to handle errors, or 'missed' IR codes without the webcam. But still.

So for instance, you log in, tell it to record something Friday at 8PM on channel 531.
It sends:
<Guide>
<531>
<B>
<appropriate down arrows to get to the proper date>
<appropriate right arrows to get to the proper time>
<Rec>
<Enter>
<A>
Done.

On my system at least I already have the TV Guide data in a mysql database, apache, and php and/or perl up and running...interesting. Now you've got me wondering.

The only other annoyance is the lack of discreet on/off codes on the 8300, but I guess if you turned it off before you left for wherever, you could have it send a power on before doing the above, and a power off when it's done.

Again, there'd be no way to manage conflicts, or missed IR codes without the webcam...but...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Wow, and don't take this personally, but that would be one of the most geekiest projects to undertake. Reminds of a Rube Goldberg painting

Maybe we should have Digital Home Canada prize for something like this (similar to the $10 million for the first private space flight) except the prize would be more like a Digital Home Canada calculator! ;)

Rube Goldberg site in case you're wondering

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nathan said:
I can see it being a pain, but doable. (though not at all %100 percent accurate 100% of the time)
I am sure that would still be more accurate than asking the wife to do it ;)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
hugh said:
Wow, and don't take this personally, but that would be one of the most geekiest projects to undertake.
I take no offense to having interests and posessions that might be construed as 'geeky'. Now 'nerdy'...there's an insult. Think about it, when the apocalypse comes, who are they gonna need to rebuild society? Technology geeks? Or someone who can speak Elvish and/or Klingon? I think I've got my bases covered. ;)

hugh said:
Digital Home Canada calculator! ;)
Is it a high definition Calculator? ;)

I wonder how much IR blasters are? I'd probably have to brush up on my PHP and mysql skills. Hmmm...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Did a quick google here is how to stream your live TV over the internet using any old video capture card (again did not test) http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225049

This looks like a pretty good IRDA remote package works with myblaster tira2 and actisys. http://www.wdpsoftware.com/

With both of these and a copy of tightVNC to use the code remotely as well as an internet attached PC.

I am pretty sure snapstream with beyond tv link will actually do all of this stuff out of the box and from memory it has myblaster etc support but the guys in the HTPC forum would know best.

Honestly I could not imagine this is dificult, complicated or if you would have any technical issues I am sure many people have done this before.

The other option is go hack the bios of the PVR and build in web interface capabilaties and turn off bios flash updates from rogers (this will take a good assembler programer six months to work out so I think the first option is easier.

Not sure why you would need any special PHP CGI and especially MySQL??? skills this is all cots and off the shelf stuff.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts