Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying the Epson 8350, currently have about a 10' throw so I can manage around an 80" screen. Might be moving this year and may have a much larger room (bigger home). Are there any serious drawbacks to a 80" picture projected onto a 120" screen for the sake of future proofing?

·
Registered
845 Posts
An 80" image projected onto a 120" screen may have a small drawback.

The light from the 80" image could illuminate the surrounding screen somewhat.
The result might bother you and then again it might not.

You could 'frame' the image with a little black out cloth and some ingenuity.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Do you have a fully light controlled room? If so, you may just want to consider going with no screen at all for now and just project directly on the wall. You'd be surprised at how good the image can look, even without special "screen" paint. A proper screen will ultimately give you a better image but for a temporary setup you may find it perfectly adequate.

The reason I suggest this is unless you know for sure what you will have to work with in your new house it would be safer to just hold off on purchasing anything until you're in the new house. A 120" screen is quite large and can be difficult in a basement with lower ceilings and duct work. In my basement theater the largest screen I could do was 110".

·
Registered
15 Posts
largest i could fit was a 110" as well. i painted mine, just make sure your wall is perfectly flat (mine wasnt, so i used a sheet of mdf trimmed with some door jam molding painted flat black). i went with a light grey, you want to find what they refer to as a munsel grey. in my case i used benjermin moore sidewalk grey.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts