Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Will the pictured proposed method for mounting the GH10 1/4-inch reflectors perform electrically or not? I have been working on ways to mount 1/4-inch copper tubing reflector rods for GH10. The method pictured puts the rod inside 1/2-inch CPVC, with split PEX as a spacer, the ends of the metal rod crimped to space it off the plastic along its length. I know that having the plastic surrounding the metal rod will modify its effectiveness in the performance of the antenna. Would it be disastrous? Is there an estimate of how much the antanna's performance would be affected? Could the presence of the plastic be compensated for by changing the spacing of the elements? I have worked out a way to keep the copper tubing from migrating lengthwise within the PEX and the PEX from migrating lengthwise within the CPVC. The PEX could fill the entire length of the CPVC pipe, or it could consist of just short pieces at two or three spots along the length of each rod. Otherwise, if it would help the antenna perform better, I believe I could eliminate the PEX spacers and suspend the tubing inside the CPVC by other means. It seems to me that this easy method would make the reflectors streamlined and weather-resistant, though it could make the antenna weigh more and have more wind resistance than using bare metal rods or tubes.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/album.php?albumid=647&pictureid=3376

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I didnt see the photo in either of your two albums. :confused:

A lot, if not most, build the GH10 using some variant of a H frame. Some good ideas here : http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=104207&highlight=contest

Also, keep in mind that it plainly says on typical PEX tubing that its not sunlight resistant (or to keep it away from sunlight), so it must be protected in some fashion outdoors.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
300 ohm, photo link now seems to work. As the image shows, the PEX would be completely enclosed inside the CPVC and, therefore, protected from direct sunlight. I can also do the job without the PEX. The metal tubing rod would be suspended inside the CPVC by small insulators, would touch those insulators in only a couple or three small spots, depending on the length of the rod. Question is, is surrounding the reflector rod with just the CPVC plastic in this way detrimental to the performance of the antenna, and if so, is there an estimate of by how much? Is there a way to compensate for the effect of the plastic surrounding the reflector rod, such as changing the spacing of the various elements? Thanks for any thoughts along those lines.
Thanks for

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Very little of the metal is touching the plastic, so it should be fine. CPVC also isnt UV resistant. The cheaper gray electrical PVC is UV resistant.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Would Ready-made GH10 Reflector Rods Work?

I stumbled upon a product that seems to be ideal for GH10 reflector rods. Google stanley 74-8264 for photo and description, 42" brace for aluminum storm door. Sold at home centers and hardwares, offered online for U.S $4 and up. Two ferrous round rods each flattened on one end which is also punched with two mounting holes. Rods are 0.218" diameter, but there might be heavier-duty ones that measure 0.250" dia if that is essential. I have had two of these mounted outside my house for 35 years, and they are in excellent condition, rusted only on the ends where the rods were threaded to accept the turnbuckle. Reflector rods could be made by just cutting to length and bolting onto antenna framework, which could be a single spine, rather than a ladder having two siderails. For long one-piece NAROD reflectors, the flats of two rods could be bolted on together, overlapping at the center. Would it be necessary to seek these items in the 0.25" diameter for GH10 reflector rods, from the point of view of antenna performance, or would the 0.218" diameter probably be OK?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Would it be necessary to seek these items in the 0.25" diameter for GH10 reflector rods, from the point of view of antenna performance, or would the 0.218" diameter probably be OK?
.218" would be close enough not to make a significant difference.
I have had two of these mounted outside my house for 35 years, and they are in excellent condition, rusted only on the ends where the rods were threaded to accept the turnbuckle.
That of course was true of the old stuff. But do you think the quality is the same and not farmed out to China ? Zinc plated / galvanized stuff from China is very variable, Ive found. Sometimes they over do it, and a lot of times they skimp badly, heh.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts