Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was not able to read the article, website paywall blocking me.

This years broadcast network programming has a lot of the same boring shows on it that i did not watch last year.

Maybe some of the new stuff will be worth watching ?

The last five years i gave up watching network tv and just watch streaming apps and my dvd collection.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I'd have to agree that that Fall TV is dying but it's much more than that. Scripted network TV is on its last legs. There was also a notable absence of scripted shows this Summer. Those are often shows that are deemed not good enough or with ratings too low for the main season and then delayed for Summer airings. They are now being punted to streaming services.

The networks created their own downfall with their restrictive policies. Yes, network shows are also available for streaming but they do extremely annoying things like making them available for a couple of weeks, with annoying self serving ads, and then yank them. They may or may not show up on another streaming service up to a year later. Meanwhile, independent streaming services typically leave their shows on for years, without ads, making them available for catching up or binging. They often drop the whole series at once as well, making it easier for viewers to watch at their own pace. Unfortunately, the trend for some streaming services is to release episodes weekly in order to keep customers longer. That may work for episodic series but not as well for non-episodic series. Even the networks realized that and often aired mini-series in under a week.

Meanwhile, Canadian broadcasters are actively working to defeat the new streaming model by licensing shows that are exclusively streamed in the US and airing them on specialty channels with obnoxious ads and the usual linear broadcaster restrictions. Why does it feels like Canadians are getting shafted by their broadcasters?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
How about 39 weeks of new episodes from about Sept. - May and 13 weeks of selected reruns in the summer? i.e The series never went off the air. (1950's - mid 1960's).
You're right there were reruns during the summer otherwise we got a new ep every week. Not all the off and on we see now when they try to stretch 18 or 20 eps for a whole season.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Back in 1990 to 2000 we had ITV Edmonton , the Western International Communications network.
Which is now Global Edmonton , they used to run summer movies from 8 to 10 pm.
Reality tv had not been invented yet.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Reality TV is now taking over network TV. With only a few exceptions, all the new shows were reality based. The worst trend is that many of the reality shows were either direct spinoffs or thinly disguised copies of existing shows.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If we're talking the 4 major US networks, I don't care as I only watch a couple shows per year on them, if we're talking everyone else { Neflix, Prime etc) then that's a good thing, I like them spreading out new show premiers throughout the year so I have something to watch.

·
Registered
208 Posts
In the next 10 to 20 years you will see lot's of cable channels closed and removed from cable tv, if it still exists in 20 years.

OTA channels are already in bad shape and have a hard time vs , FAST internet channels like Tubi.tv and Pluto.tv .

For a new tv viewer why put up an antenna ? , when you can steam it all off of FAST channels that offer complete seasons on demand and endless free movies .

I took the effort to install a OTA antenna in 2010 , but frankly the quality of OTA content has been lagging the last 12 years.

If you look at old OTA tv schedules from 2010 you will see we lost CTV late night movies , all CBC late night movies gone , All movies from CITY TV gone except for some holiday movies and a few romance movies , all the late night movies from ACCESS tv gone , RDTV had some late night movies and usa syndicated programming that station was closed by GLOBAL tv.

I could care less what happens to cable tv, but will OTA tv still be around in 20 years in Canada ?
The tv network owners have put in great effort to weaken OTA programming and sink the OTA channels.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Movies were one of the first things to disappear from broadcast TV. The rights were purchased by specialty movie stations like AMC and TCM. I remember when some local stations had afternoon, evening and all night movies. Now they almost all have cheap talk shows or reality shows, and infomercials in those time slots. A similar thing happened with sports programming which once dominated weekend broadcast TV. The latest trend is for scripted dramas and syndicated shows to be moved to OTT streaming services.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I don’t think it’s dying or dead, I think it’s being murdered by media corporations who don’t want you recording shows, but instead paying them directly to ’stream’ when they make them available. But I’m in the minority - I’d much rather savor a good show over a number of weeks, as opposed to downing the whole bottle in a night…..

·
Registered
344 Posts
In the next 10 to 20 years you will see lot's of cable channels closed and removed from cable tv, if it still exists in 20 years.

OTA channels are already in bad shape and have a hard time vs , FAST internet channels like Tubi.tv and Pluto.tv .

For a new tv viewer why put up an antenna ? , when you can steam it all off of FAST channels that offer complete seasons on demand and endless free movies .

I took the effort to install a OTA antenna in 2010 , but frankly the quality of OTA content has been lagging the last 12 years.

If you look at old OTA tv schedules from 2010 you will see we lost CTV late night movies , all CBC late night movies gone , All movies from CITY TV gone except for some holiday movies and a few romance movies , all the late night movies from ACCESS tv gone , RDTV had some late night movies and usa syndicated programming that station was closed by GLOBAL tv.

I could care less what happens to cable tv, but will OTA tv still be around in 20 years in Canada ?
The tv network owners have put in great effort to weaken OTA programming and sink the OTA channels.
Your problem is that you are watching Canadian channels. I get 58 channels reliably in Windsor/Detroit, tons of sports, first run programming. If you are in Central Canada somewhere not near the border, you have to deal with 22 Minutes and reruns of Corner Gas, that's if you get that many channels.

OT is dying in Canada, as there's really not much to watch other than if you live near the US border or a major city like Toronto or Montreal, then you are still trying to get American programming. The CRTC will let Media giants kill their towers and not care about Free TV anymore. And most Canadians don't care... as they'll gladly pay for mediocre Cable/Satellite or stream everything.

I've used Tubi and Pluto TV, it's basically junk re-runs of stuff I don't care about. Free streaming is really limited and I don't believe they have any Local US OTA channels on there, as they have to pay them fees to do so.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your problem is that you are watching Canadian channels. I get 58 channels reliably in Windsor/Detroit, tons of sports, first run programming.
You might also get the NextGen TV channels when they come to Detroit providing your tv supports it. I imagine it will be years if ever that NextGen tv comes to Canada and I don’t see any of the Canadian broadcasters supporting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts