Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been paying 15$ for Fairchild for many years. I picked up an International Programming pamphlet (French version dated 1 Mar 2010) and it has Fairchild at 9$. The English version online dated 1 Feb 2010 has the same thing.

When I called customer service, they said that this was a limited time offer for new customers only. The thing is, the pamphlets don't say that anywhere, even in the fine print. They offered me the "special" price of 9$ for 12 months only.

Does anyone know what the real price is?

·
705 Posts
I'm definately not a new customer and i've been getting international channels turned on and off for the much lower price in that menu for quite some time now. They could be promotions for people who are just adding a new international channel and not for existing subs to the channel but if after your year at 9$ runs out and the price goes back up, i'd say drop the channel for a few weeks and re-add it. They'll likely give it to you for 9$ again. I'm not sure exactly what the rule is but i've always been able to add and remove stuff from the international menu at the advertised lower prices.

·
Banned
296 Posts
The real price, we'll never know for sure! It's about negociations between the broadcaster and the cable/satellite company.

According to the CRTC's documents, in december 2009 Fairchild had 379 541 subscribers and made 14.6 Millions in subscriber revenues that year, which means they receive 3.20$ in average per subscriber per month, plus local and national advertising revenues.

In comparaison, commercial-free The Movie Network receives 8.87$ in average per subscriber per month while the majority of BDUs are making their subscribers pay between 11$ and 18$ for this channel suites.

By the way in comparaison:
Rogers asks 15$ for Fairchild (Toronto+Vancouver) everywhere.
Shaw Cable asks 19$ for Fairchild in Vancouver area only.
Videotron asks 20$ per month for the Toronto feed alone

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the price goes back up to 15$, I will definitely call them to change it.

By the way, on Videotron they carry the Vancouver Fairchild instead of the Toronto version, which makes no sense.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The promotional price for international programming is for new customers. If you hear about the promo price and call to get the deal, you can get it for two years. The promo's ending next January (to sign up for it), but you should be able to get it for two years, not one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts