Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
For most of human history, being able to see the stars has been an important thing. Even now, my son looks up at it in awe. Having that changed to "oh there are some stars up there but here's 40,000 satellites we threw up there willy-nilly without considering the consequences in the way" doesn't really elicit the same kind of reaction.

It's like most things businesses do: they care not one whit about the consequences or damage caused by anything they do so long as there's profit to be had. In that regard, things never change.
I also remember seeing a lot more stars in the sky. I grew up on the east edge of Oakville, behind us was bush, and there weren't any streetlights back then. I also worked up in Northern Ontario, for CN, and on occasion would be riding at the tail end of a freight train, with no lights at all, within miles, other than on the locomotive, over a mile away. The Northern Lights were quite something then.

BTW, there's an area, near Gravenhurst, called the Torrance Barrens, where there are excellent conditions for stargazing.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
For most of human history, being able to see the stars has been an important thing.
The damage is already done. I can see about a dozen stars on a clear night. Ancient mankind could see millions. Modern man also can in some locations but few live there. I doubt I will be able to see the SpaceX satellites either. I agree that it's a loss but thousands of satellites just won't make any difference here and it's not a particularly large city.

... here's 40,000 satellites we threw up there willy-nilly ...
Not quite. Their orbits are carefully calculated, not that it really make much difference. There are much more important issues to be dealt with than starlight pollution. But then it could be argued that launching that many satellites is part of the problem. Just how much pollution and greenhouse gases will that produce anyway?

I also remember seeing a lot more stars in the sky.
I remember a lot more birds in the sky, and fish in the oceans, rivers and lakes, and more animals of all kinds, and cleaner air, and a lot less noise pollution, and fewer cars on the road, and more accessible, less crowed green spaces such as conservation areas, and less rampant consumerism. It's estimated that between 60% and 70% of wild animals on Earth have disappeared since 1970 and many will never come back due to species extinction. My memory goes back farther than that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That’s one of the conundrums of life, though, isn’t it? For every step forward, something must be given up and/or left behind. It would be better, I think, if our lives weren’t so long, to live much more in the here and now than the future or the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
I don't agree. It's possible to have progress without destroying the planet. As long as individuals, companies and countries profit from engaging in destructive practices on a massive scale, it will not happen. With 70% of wildlife destroyed and a similar amount of life supporting environment, I've got to wonder if mankind will be next. Living in the present and only looking for short term gains instead of engaging in long term business, social and environmental planning is a very large contributor to the problem. How are you planning on shortening everyone's lives? Oh, wait, I already just answered that. One thing for sure is that focusing on Starlink's satellites and starlight pollution is not the answer.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Which would you rather see added to the earthscape? Miles of poles draped with extra cables that end up strewn all over the place due storms? Or dim lights in the night sky that you have to look for and are dimmer than aircraft lights?

To me this is like people who complain about wind turbines ruining their view despite the obvious benefit. Bird kills and health concerns are just cover for their nimbyism.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Most new data cables are buried. That's a big factor in the high cost of deployment, especially for remote areas.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
@Jake

Or dim lights in the night sky that you have to look for and are dimmer than aircraft lights?
It's not about what people can see, it's about interference with astronomy. Many observations take hours and several satellites passing through mess up the image.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Nova Man , Hope you are right ! but I Remember what they did to Direct tv. I have not heard about anyone in Canada on bata test. I signed up but have heard nothing since
How about YOU ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nova Man , Hope you are right ! but I Remember what they did to Direct tv. I have not heard about anyone in Canada on bata test. I signed up but have heard nothing since
How about YOU ?
I’m guessing they check to see where in the range of latitudes your address is, and if you’re outside it they won’t respond. Similarly, you won’t hear your neighbours talk about it because they’re outside the zone too. The beta is pretty specific, and I’m just a fraction of a degree outside it, so I know I won’t be contacted until coverage includes me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Hope, you are right !!
I am @ 49.8 Lat &99.9 longitude
Should be what they want?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hope, you are right !!
I am @ 49.8 Lat &99.9 longitude
Should be what they want?
Yup, between 44 and 52 degrees north latitude is the zone from what I recall. You are smack dab in the middle, basically. You’re near Brandon, the 100th meridian...where the Great Plains begin.

·
Registered
966 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
On Starlink's official page they have this statement: "Starlink is targeting service in the Northern U.S. and Canada in 2020, rapidly expanding to near global coverage of the populated world by 2021. " This is the information that has been reported already.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts