Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a technician in my back yard today to disconnect a neighbour. During our conversation he said that Chatham is now offering all channels digitally. I had not heard this, and therefore called Cogeco. They said that as of June 10 the conversion had been made and all channels including 2 -70 are now digital provided you have an STB. Is this correct? In my home the lower numbered channels do not have the clarity of the higher digital channels. In fact my 2 TVs connected to boxes are no clearer than those strictly using analog without boxes. The channels are sometimes even "snowy", I thought digital would either be pixilated or lose the picture all together.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
not sure how cogeco operates but it seems like the stb has an analogue tuner and when you tuned 2-71 you were using the analogue tuner, thus it would show snow if signal dropped, all digital means they have re-mapped those on your stb so they will be digital qam signals crystal clear, but the analog are still there just not mapped to your stb, you can verify this by connecting an analogue tv, if you still get analogue chanenls, then your not all digital, your just overlayed digital and analog on the same line. which is what rogers had for 2+years already

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Nick, that is incorrect we are not providing those channels in a digital format in the chatham area at this time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do you know of a time frame when we may find these channels in digital? I always wonder when Chatham area will be catching up in terms of what is offered in HD.........

·
Registered
326 Posts
Is Burlington "all digital?"

This isn't exactly a reply, but a question. I am wondering if Burlington (Cogeco) is "all-digital". A cable tech told me five moths ago it hasn't been upgraded yet, but this makes no sense, considering we have the 9xx channels on our DCT 1800. Does anybody know what is going on??

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I moved from Windsor to Chatham 3 years ago I was told that Chatham would be upgraded by the end of the year (2007). 3 years later and nothing but false promises I finally cut ties and moved to Bell. It is pathetic what Cogeco charges for the services provided in Chatham.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
even if its not all digital, should not impact you at all, just tune into the digital assignments on your digital STB. the only difference if it becomes all digital, would mean your anaogue tv wont work anymore with no stb.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paolo - the point is that there no digital alternatives for the analog channels located in the 1 - 70 range. We have no choice but to watch them in analog format, which is normally inferior quality.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Paolo - the point is that there no digital alternatives for the analog channels located in the 1 - 70 range. We have no choice but to watch them in analog format, which is normally inferior quality.
Really? thats quite odd. One of my friend lives in Cogeco territory and showed me his STB, he said its Digital Only, ie no analogue tuner, its a very small box, and it picks up channels 1-70 just fine the quality is impressive

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well that is not true. I live in Chatham and the channels form 1 to 70 are not in digital and are at times less then impressive.

·
Registered
326 Posts
In response to Nick44 and his questions about channels 1-70, and whether or not they are digital or analogue. I live in Burlington and have a digital STB. Channels 1-99 are digital. Channels 902-999 are analogue. I am asuming as Burlington and Chatham are both serviced by Cogeco, it would be the same in both cities.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
bingo, burlington is also where my cogeco friend lives, he also confirmed his 1-70 are digital tuning. but there is analog if you connect an analogue tv to the cable outlet, it will still work, which means its not all digital just yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There is a difference between saying an area is all digital and an area is digital only...

It doesn't mean that because an area is "all digital" that Cogeco doesn't also send analog signals (versus "digital only" when they only send digital). Anyways, the "digital only" areas are under way and the whole network should be "digital only" by end of 2012 (when they are supposed to pull the plug on analog) then again, some areas might need a complete rebuilt so I wouldn't hold my breath for 100% completion...

I'm sure a preliminary list of the areas to come exists somewhere amongst those involved in this project but don't you go and think that every employee out there will have access to this list; they'll prolly only send the updates one at a time when an area is almost ready and not a few months in advance... That being said, I'm sure a few employees (especially those roaming the boards) could have access to the information.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
ratatosk,

do you truely believe cable companies have to comply with the the analog OTA shutdown? i highly doubt that, they have their own mandate, so i would not be holding my breath to see analogue cable signals shut down when the over the air shutdown happens.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I guess I just don't get it. I want my TV's to tune TV channels directly, with no ugly cable box (hard to mount it behind the TV on the wall). Either that or have my computer do it.

I can't get a cablecard for my PC. Analog will be gone.

I am seriously thinking of going to OTA. I use it already, and HD reception is clear and outstanding. No converter, easy to record in Media Centre, free, crystal clear.

Isn't Coegeco in the dark ages? Where is the integration with Internet TV (my current TV is web enabled). Aren't Canadians getting shafted and behind the times?

How is this progress, or is it just to continue the oligopoly?

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
See the following thread on the analogue shutdown. Some cable providers may continue to offer some analogue channels for a while. No one knows who, how many channels or for how long. One thing is sure. Analogue will die pretty soon for most people and a digital STB will be required. Some smaller providers have already gone "digital only" in certain areas.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=90621

Please don't confuse all channels digital (which means analogue signals can still be present alongside the full digital selection) with digital only, which means no analogue signals. Satellite has always been digital only and Cable is heading that direction.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly, once a BDU reaches 85% digital penetration (subscriber base), they can then apply to the CRTC to drop the analogue carriage of channels. One red herring, in Cogeco's case, is that DV (descriptive video) currently works correctly via analogue using the SAP subchannel on the analogue channels when it's carried. We have 2 DCT-1800's and a promo DCT-6200 HD box, and NONE of these produce a DV voice output when set to Descriptive Video via the audio menus when a DV program is broadcast. Phone calls to Cogeco about this result in long calls ending in total confusion as no one has a clue what's being discussed. This technical blunder could slow down a migration to a completely digital distribution topology if the CRTC demands DV work before allowing analogue removal.

Cameron

1 - 20 of 27 Posts