Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought my smartphone, bought my sim card, and told Rogers I wanted the data plan only

I can do anything you can do on the internet which includes VoIP, voice mail to email, SMS-email etc. I use Gmail and it works great

Paying for any SMS plan is ridiculous if you ask me. Paying for voice is worth it if you use it enough. VoIP works great for me

·
Registered
115 Posts
Could the telco's repackage services in a way that reflects actual costs more rationally? Sure, but it would mean some services would go up in price and some would go down with the net revenue having to remain equal or better (or investors will go elsewhere).
This is somewhat true however the Cdn telco oligopoly makes a killing (I own most of their stocks).

My data does email and you can do email-txt with mobile email or a email-txt app for free. You can also do MSN-txt etc. I'm not paying nickels and dimes for every short sentence thank you. I also do voip over data which works for me, but it isn't the best for people who need a lot of voice or aren't tech savy

My total iPhone bill is just over $30 and I should have taken the $25 plan as I never use 1GB (there's free WiFi everywhere)

What high octane appears to have arranged - a "data only" plan for a smartphone - isn't supposedly officially available from any of the cell cos. Every one that I'm aware of forces you to have a voice plan along with a data plan. There are work arounds, (e.g. putting a SIM card from , for e.g. a Rocket Stick into a smart phone), but doing this arguably puts you in breach of the TOS of your plan.
It's quite available. Back in the day they used to say dry DSL wasn't available either (heaven forbid you want DSL without a phone line?). You just have to buy your smartphone and then ask for a data plan or you go to the next company willing to take your money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts