Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Is a Radeon 6770 the same as a Radeon 5770?

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 ·
Looking at the specs for a computer for a friend and it has the AMD Radeon HD 6770 graphics card.

Hard to find much information about this but from what I can read, the 6770 is simply an OEM version of the 5770.

Is that correct?

The reason I ask is that I thought I had read about AMD rejigging the naming convention and was worried the 6770 may actually be a rebranded 5750.

Thanks in advance

#4 ·
It looks like they did some minor revisions to increase performance. The 6770 GPU is clocked faster and memory bandwidth is increased, along with a decrease in memory speed. Chances are it's still the same basic graphics engine. The 6770 also has a 20%-30% increase in power consumption. For most apps, the differences will be insignificant. I would be looking for a 5770 on sale.

the 6770 is simply an OEM version of the 5770.
I don't think ATI/AMD would let a third party bump the major revision like that. Most Radeon cards are made by third parties these days. I find that brands like eVGA make a better card than ATI.

#5 ·
I think there is some confusion. I found this quote:

"Interestingly, the ATi-Forum report goes on to explain the move as a simple name reshuffling by AMD. The product that was previously supposed to launch as the Radeon HD 6770, code-named Barts XT, will now appear in stores as the 6870. The former 6870, Cayman XT, will now be dubbed 6970, and the top-of-the-line offering will see the light of day as the Radeon HD 6990, the report says."

So info on the 6770 related to BartsXT is likely the original branding. Now they intend to shuffle the names so that the 6770 is really just a 5770, and the intended 6770 becomes the 6870.

So I would read the specs on the box before you buy.

#6 ·
My reading is its the same as Larry except that its HDMI 1.4a.

From what I understand Post #3 and chart are false as it was rumour based on some bloggers that ended up being wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.