Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I watched a show I had recorded from TLC. It was very annoying to see all the crap they put on over the show. First of all, the "bug" (it's now very obvious why it's called that) was huge, covering about 1/8th the screen an in bright red & green. It was on for almost the entire show. Then, they had huge text blocks over the bottom 1/4 or so of the screen, to the left of the bug. At some points, they were covering up the English captions of what people were saying. What do they hope to accomplish with such irritating behaviour??? If they keep up with this, I will be cutting back my viewing of TLC even further. They've certainly come down a lot from when they were a decent channel, a few years back.

·
Registered
361 Posts
TLC is in a race with A&E to see which one will take the crown of "Garbage Rerun Reality Channel"

It's too bad that we don't have a free market in Canada so that Canadian suppliers could drop these 2 dogs and replace them with TNT and USA.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re: TLC and A&E

I read Donnybrook's comment and thought to myself "I used to watch both channels quite often". Then I had to go and check to see if I still subscribed. I do, and I receive them in HD. Obviously their programming and my interests have changed to the point where they are unimportant to me.

I wonder if others feel the same or if they are still quite popular?

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^^
They have both dropped considerably in program quality. This latest thing with all the crap on the screen makes them even less desirable to watch. They seem to be forgetting that while the sponsors pay the bills (in addition to subscription fees) it's the viewers that make it possible for the advertisers pay for the ad spots. If they drive away viewers, then the advertisers will follow.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I know how you feel about the "bugs" on TLC. I also can't stand them, especially now when they advertise upcomming shows as a bug. I say "Let me watch the show I have on now first! Geez!!!"

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^^
As far as I'm concerned, those "bugs" should be nothing more than the station logo and only on briefly, so as to meet ID requierments, limited to a small area in a lower corner. Nothing, other than emergency notifications, weather warnings etc., should be allowed in the program area. There should never, ever be advertising while the show is in progress. You'd think the advertisers would complain about all that self promotion that's being done at their expense.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I can remember the good old days on C-band when the "L" in TLC actually stood for LEARNING and they had great documentaries, educational content, etc along the lines of Discovery Channel. Now it's shows like say yes to the dress, cake boss, john and kate, toddlers in tiaras, and littlest people. I can actually feel my IQ dropping when I watch this channel...

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
TLC is not the only channel with giant bugs and annoying on screen information. On screen graphics are a standard feature of new programming equipment. It seems like some programming managers are like 6 year old kids with a new toy. Maybe they should grow up and respect their viewers by taking that crud off the screen.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Re: TLC and A&E

I wonder if others feel the same or if they are still quite popular?
Not on my TV. I quit watching them when they quit real DIY stuff on TLC.

My Heyday of TLC was 1998 to 2002 or so, when afternoons were DIY, and evenings were science/history type programming.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I remember back in the early nineties when TLC was an amazing channel. Lots of people were talking about it. There were great history shows like Connections, and that operation show that I didn't have the stomach to watch.

Now it is complete garbage. And the sad thing is that Discovery and History aren't much better. I like smart documentaries. Unfortunately I haven't seen one in years.

Mark

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I refuse to what the bunk they put on this channel now. Just browsed through Sat. and Sun. schedule.

A half day of Half Ton Man.
2 hours of Freaky Eaters.
10 hours of Sister Wives (Fun with Polygamy)
Sun. morning 3 hours of Say yes to the Dress
Throw in a Cake boss for something different,
and then all day two year old rehashes of 48 Hours Mystery all building up to the new "hit" Sarah Palin's Alaska for 5 freakin' hours.

Completely useless, they should have renamed it to TFC. (The Freaks Channel) years ago.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I agree completely with the comments re programming and rarely watch the channel.

I would like to add National "Geographic" to the irritating channel list with it's fondness for prison and motorcycle gang programs. :rolleyes:

I also don't understand the moronic insistence on scrolls during the programs which cover up subtitles or other info from the program itself! :mad:

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I just dropped the last remaining specialty channels from our subscription. IMHO, none of them have any redeeming programming and not worth paying for. As mentioned, that was not always the case but people keep paying for them due to the way they are packaged. It's a giant con game foisted on the Canadian public. Broadcasters know the stuff they are airing is cheap garbage but also know most people will not bother to unsubscribe. Meanwhile, specialty channel prices and profits are soaring.

·
Registered
405 Posts
...but people keep paying for them due to the way they are packaged.
And perhaps out of a desperate desire for any kind of hd programming, something I'm certainly guilty of to a degree. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
First post! I just had to register to say I have to agree with all of you. I too watched a lot of A&E and TLC in the mid to late 90s but the last 5 or 6 years these stations show nothing but reality overmade drama tv.

And they wonder why 18 - 45 males are not watching much tv these days.

·
Registered
182 Posts
As a former C Bander from the 80's and 90's, I will attest to what others have posted. Used to be great, now just wastes of bandwidth. Shaw Direct always claims that they are bandwidth starved. They could drop these 2 HD feeds anytime - and replace with services that have some value to some.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts