Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this month we finally decided to cancel Bell satellite after many years. What I want as a replacement is an IPTV service. I have fast internet with no data cap through Sasktel so I’m not worried about usage and Sasktel has something called Max Stream which is kind of what I’m after except one small detail, in order to receive the service I have to purchase their Android boxes which I don’t want as the last thing I need is another box. I use Apple TV 4K and Fire Stick 4K on all our TVs so I want an IPTV service that I can simply download(or side load) the provider app directly to my streaming devices with full functionality and cloud DVR. Depending on what I find if nothing else I might go through the hassle of setting up a VPN router and try YouTube TV service. I’ll have to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look good but service is unavailable when I ran my address. It’s looking like YouTube TV or Sling TV might be my only option it’s just they are such a pain to set up for

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
IPTV services in Canada like start.tv, vmedia, zazeen and others
1) Require you to use their equipment and
2) generally you are required to use them as your ISP as well.
The reason for 1) is probably part of the agreement that the IPTV services have with all the channels they carry that the tv service can't be offered through an Android/Appletv app and possibly the CRTC night have regulations as to how the service is carried
and for 2) I believe it is a CRTC requirement that the internet and TV service have to linked.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It must be like how the Bell app works. I could watch most of my subscribed channels on my phone or computer but in order to watch on a streaming device not going to happen unless I had Bell home internet which I don’t obviously. I was hoping we would have a IPTV provider that would launch in Canada that is available coast to coast and work on any streaming device and isn’t owned by any ISP.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
The catch with Bell Fibe TV and similar IP based CATV services is that the home location must match for TV service and streaming devices. That's to prevent account sharing and similar forms of piracy. (It's still not impossible but is more difficult.) All stations appear to place restrictions on how they are streamed but some have more than others. That's why some stations can be watched on portable devices but not on streaming devices or only at home but not away from home, etc.

Pure IPTV services face similar service agreement restrictions, which may vary from service to service, but have the additional CRTC restriction that IPTV must be tied to internet service from the same provider.

Another provider that supports Apple TV 4 and a few other devices is Bell. I believe Telus uses the same technology. They require that a proprietary PVR is used for recording. Not sure if that can be waved for basic TV service.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I’ve been using YouTube TV for 2 weeks now and I’m very impressed yes it’s a pain to get it setup initially but afterwards it’s all good. I think I’ll keep it going for now while I wait for a comparable Canadian service that is not tied to hardware and is available coast to coast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts