Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of irrelevant to Telus but maybe is, just curious on other IPTV providers like Bell, MTS, Sasktel all use MR 2.0 but including Telus use different hardware. Telus uses mostly SA or Cisco although I believe boxes have same specs, how do they compare to the Motorola's used by Bell? Does MR possibly run smoother? Just a thought.

·
Registered
577 Posts
SaskTel Max uses Motorola boxes. I don't know if its just their infrastructure or the boxes themselves, but I find it to be rather laggy on an HDTV.

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
Cisco/SA and Motorola STBs use Sigma Designs SMP8630 processors. Cisco took over Scientific Atlanta several years ago.

I don't know if there are any differences between the various models or not. If there are, they will be minor.

Motorola VIP1200 uses the SMP8630LF processor. The VIP1216 PVR uses the same circuit board with the disk drive header installed for PVR functionality.

The biggest issue is probably the software version. Bell and Aliant use 1.6; Telus, MTS and Sasktel use 2.x

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Do any systems allow PCs to be used as an IPTV tuner, in that way that you can (theoretically) use a CableCard as a digital cable tuner in a PC to facilitate using a PC based PVR system such as Windows Media Center or SageTV?

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
That's why I said paranthetically said "theoretically". But I would be willing to switch from cable to phone company based IPTV if I could get IPTV streams directly into my SageTV server, assuimng that there was enough bandwidth that I could simultaneously get multiple HD streams. I could then control the playback with TiSageTV!

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
It's a sad fact but no large cable provider in Canada will allow cablecards as they want to maximise revenue through receiver rentals or purchases. Similar thing with subscription satellite. The only way to change this is to get the government involved to stop forcing customers to get their receiver for service as most European countries are doing.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
This is getting somewhat OT but I question that premise since I question whether selling cable hardware provides much profit for Rogers, especially when they sell the boxes, or at least used to, for $100 and give you $100 off your cable bill over 10 or 20 months.

The best reason I can think of for not allowing CC is that it is complex to configure and support. Reading stories of people getting CCs for TiVos or MCE PCs shows that many of them had long, painful experiences.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So to compare providers to use MR 2.x, which would include Telus, MTS and Sasktel, difference being MTS and Sasktel use Motorola vs Telus using Cisco\SA, do they run MR just as effciently on one than the other?

Viper550, what do you mean by laggy on HDTV?

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
@merve04, both Telus and MTS customers reported performance was sometimes sluggish and inconsistent after upgrading from 1.6 to 2.0. Overall, the response is still better than the Shaw PVR I had a year ago, but not as consistently crisp as it used to be.

Current status (I've just posted the core version since the last suffix is for service provider use):

Telus:2.0.26478
MTS: 2.0.26496
Sasktel: started at 2.0.25625 and upgraded to 2.0.26496 (Viper550 reported that performance was slightly better after the upgrade)

As far as I can tell, there isn't any difference between the 2 manufacturers, but I don't know anyone in Canada that has used both.

AT&T U-verse, which uses Mediaroom 1.6, started with Motorola VIP1216 (160GB), then used VIP1225 (250GB) and finally Cisco (320GB). I'm not aware of any differences other than disk size, but I haven't read their forums for quite a while.

@Wayne, Mediaroom 2.0 supports integration with Windows Media Center 7, but I'm not aware of anyone that offers this feature yet.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I haven't heard of PCs being allowed to directly interface with IPTV, until now when I heard the possibility of WMC7 capable of it, which means the content will be locked into the WMC "sandbox", which includes secure playback over HDMI. The Xbox 360 can also work with participating providers who use MediaRoom. Unless Sage can prove to have WMC level security, I doubt they will be allowed direct access to IPTV.

Otherwise, you need to integrate your IPTV provider the old fashioned way, with an appropriate capture card and the provider's STB.

The reason for the Cablecard horror stories, as I understand it, is because the cable providers are somtimes intenonally making it hard, if not working at making it easy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It was possible to use an ethernet card to record stream directly to the PC from Sasktel. Details for setting up with MythTV can be found here. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sasktel_IPTV

After Sasktel upgraded to Mediaroom 2.0, I believe that recording the IPTV streams no longer worked. More specifically, the streams that were recorded, couldn't be recognized. I've searched around a bit, but all I could find out was that some users were able to grab some streams, and were hoping to get them analyzed so they could be recognized by some media viewer or player.

·
Registered
577 Posts
So to compare providers to use MR 2.x, which would include Telus, MTS and Sasktel, difference being MTS and Sasktel use Motorola vs Telus using Cisco\SA, do they run MR just as effciently on one than the other?

Viper550, what do you mean by laggy on HDTV?
The buttons took a little longer to respond, the UI animations aren't as smooth, it's a little slower to navigate the guide, etc.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Viper550, i know what your talking about, i guess maybe for the better since i never experienced MR 1.6 i cant compare. If i compare TTV to Bell, yes the menus are indeed slower as well as playing recording on 330's have a delay when fwd vs when i watch recordings on the 430, its smooth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts