Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

My girlfriends birthday is coming up in a few weeks and she is dying for an iPod touch. I talked to her about dumping her blackberry for an iPhone but (1) who knows when iPhone 4 will be out in Canada, (2) she doesn't want to get locked into a new 3 year contract by Rogers and (3) she doesn't want to lose her blackberry messenger.

Unless at the last minute I change my mind and upgrade, I plan to purchase the 32GB iPod Touch for her. However, a few questions;

1. With HST coming down the pipe in a few days in Ontario, will it make a difference in the total cost of purchasing an iPod touch? Should I go out of my way to do it before July 1 or can I wait?

2. I notice that Futureshop and Best Buy has the iPod listed at $298.98, while Apple Canada has it with the educational discount at $329.00. Can someone give me a reason I should go to the Applestore and spend the extra $30 compared to going to Best Buy or Futureshop?

3. Is there any store in Ontario from Oshawa south (all the way down to Windsor, east to Niagara Falls, north to Barrie) that has a better price on this right now?

4. Applecare. Is it worth buying on this? Can I get it at any store or only from Apple?

Big thanks to all who reply!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Usually BB/FS have the best price and will beat the price by 10% if you find it cheaper somewhere else within Canada.

Applecare I believe is only offered through Apple store but FS/BB offer a Product service Plan, not exactly sure of the cost but probably comparable to Applecare. Some people swear by this others think it is a way for the companies to make money(there is NO margin on ipods). The greatest bonus to Applecare/PSP is the headphone replacements over the counter. If she likes the Apple headphones may be something to look into, if she doesn't like the head phones then I wouldn't worry about it.

Like Dr Dave said HST will not effect the cost. it will be 298+13% whether you purchase before or after HST. There may also be an EHF (Environmental Handling Fee) of a certain amount (not sure exact but shouldn't be more then $10).

If you are looking into the iPhone 4 it is to be released at the end of July in Canada.

Cheers and happy searching

·
Registered
182 Posts
--------
2. I notice that Futureshop and Best Buy has the iPod listed at $298.98, while Apple Canada has it with the educational discount at $329.00.
--------

As far as I know there is no educational pricing on iPods. It is the same price at the regular store as the educational store.

You should check that the ipod at FS or BB is the latest generation (probably).

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both sites say its a 3rd gen... so BB or FS is the best play then over apple? Could I buy the iPod at BB or FS then go to Apple Store and get Applecare or am I better with the FS or BB warantee?

·
Registered
88 Posts
It doesn't matter where you buy it - you can get Applecare regardless (it only provides an additonal year of coverage .. in my opinion, not worth the price)

I bought my iPod Touch at Wal Mart - knew someone who worked there, so got an additional 10% off.

If you want an even cheaper price - get a Refurbished iPod from the Apple Store online. (I bought my MBP from there - it was brand new, and I saved $250)

As for the Blackberry vs iPhone - I know MANY people who have switched to the iPhone and love it. I plan to replace my iPod Touch (which I've had for a year and a half) with the iPhone 4.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sometimes you can find applecare on clearance at places like thesource and Walmart. I got 2 x ipod applecare for $15 at thesource awhile ago. You can also try ebay, but be sure to use a reputable seller.

I believe the FS/BB warranty does not cover the battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts