Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to give Netflix a try even though I'm not happy with the sparse selection. I can only hope it will get better. It works fine on my PS3 and computer, but I installed the Netflix app onto my iPod touch and it doesn't work. I click "Play" and the screen turns all red and it appears to be loading. Then the screen switches back to the icon list of shows. Nothing ever plays! I've shut down the touch a few times. It still doesn't work. Are any of you having issues with the iPod and Netflix?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Have you jailbroken your ipod Funky? What revision is it and have you got the latest IOS release on it?

That's the usual behavior of an app that is either running on an unsupported version of iOS or hardware without enough ram.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No my iPod touch is not jailbroken. It's the latest version 4.1 of the OS. It's the 32 Gb version. I bought it new Dec 2009. So it's not a year old yet. Everything else works. It's just the Netflix app that doesn't. I just tried again this morning and it's a no go.

I just deleted the app and reinstalled it - still no luck.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Weird, I've run it on my old 3g iphone running 4.1 and it's fine.

Have you tried rebooting to see if that helps? Normally when I encounter this I just plug it into xcode to see what the crash message is, I'm not sure if there's a non-devtool from apple that will show the crash log.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I've rebooted but unfortunately that doesn't help. I went to settings and reset Netflix 3 times. Each time it asks for my email and password again. I still cannot play any show on my iPod. I just googled this and I see others are having the same trouble. Some say it's working for them. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this netflix iPhone/iPod app.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the exact same iPod Touch (32GB, 4th gen) that I just got a month ago, but the Netflix app worked for me the first time I installed it - very strange. Sorry if you've already mentioned this, but I assume your account works normally at netflix.ca from a PC?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Pedro,

Yes, I have a Mac Pro and can watch Netflix on that as well as on my PS3. I was really hoping to use my iPod too as I use it now to watch shows from iTunes. It is a 4th gen iPod touch.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Install the iphone configuration app and look at the console for your ipod when it's crashing. That should give you a better idea what's going on.

I received shipping confirmation for my wii disk after signing up the first day.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The iPhone configuration tool doesn't seem to be available. I did call Netflix an hour ago. They looked at my account and said they can see the several attempts at trying to watch shows. They even mentioned which shows I was trying. They could see I was trying through an iPhone or iPod touch, but the bytes are at zero which is unusual. The lady said when someone's speed is too slow usually she would see some amount of data was transferred but mine is showing zeros for all shows that I've tried.

She asked me if I'm able to access Netflix from my home on other platforms and I confirmed that I could. She asked if I was at my bandwidth limit. I get 100 gb per month and I've only used 31 gb so far this month. She asked if my wifi strength was at 2 or 3 - it's consistently at 3 in this house. I can watch iTunes videos and previews. Netflix has no idea what's causing it and suggested that I contact Apple.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. Yes I do have a Mac Pro. I hope this utility will uncover the issue with Netflix and my iPod.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried playing iTunes on my Touch at work today which is in Ottawa. Still no luck. So it's not my connection. It has to be my iPod. So if I restore it won't lose my music or anything else like contacts?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
faston said:
Also FunkyTown, my daughter was having all kinds of problems with her ipod Touch this weekend. I have the full ipod connectivity in my car and it was not connecting with that at all and when she plugged it into her home system it wasn't reading it either. I suggested she restore her ipod through itunes and after she did that it worked fine. You should try that.
I just performed a restore to my iPod Touch using iTunes and then tried Netflix with high hopes - it's still the same behavior. The screen says it's loading, but then returns to the Home menu of the Netflix application without playing the show. The process takes less than 2 seconds. Did your daughter wipe all of the contents from her iPod out first? I didn't do that. The restore was very fast - only 2 minutes.

I'm now trying to figure out the iPhone Configuration Utility that someone suggested yesterday. Maybe that will shed some light if I can figure it out.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Did your daughter wipe all of the contents from her iPod out first? I didn't do that. The restore was very fast - only 2 minutes.
She didn't wipe it out first; just selected restore from the main itunes screen. It used a stored backup and took about 45 minutes or so.

PS: I called the customer service number with my 2 questions regarding availability on the Xbox and Tivo Hd and the guy had absolutely no idea. He was obviously in the US (I could tell by his accent).

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought I should share with you an update on my iPod Touch issue where it is unable to play Netflix movies/shows. I took it to a friend's house and it was not working there either. After trying lots such as restoring my iPod touch, uninstalling and reinstalling the Netflix App, finally I think I've found something. This morning I was at work and logged on to our D-Link wireless router and low and behold I could play movies/shows through Netflix on my iPod Touch. So there has to be something wrong with the router that I have. My friend has the same model router. It's the WRT610N, but both of us have loaded DD-WRT firmware into our routers.

The odd thing is I can play movies/shows from the PS3 and on my computer screen which is why I did not believe it could be the router. It's possible that the iPod Touch is using a different port. Now I'm on to finding out what port, and then configuring the router to allow access to my touch through it. I turned off QoS, and that didn't help. I also placed my iPod Touch in the DMZ, and that did not help either. It's very odd that the DMZ still rejects specific ports to a device. Those familiar with this would realize I'm not very good with port forwarding stuff as I have not had to deal with it before, so it will be a learning curve. I may first see if I can find something in a router log to determine why the iPod touch is being blocked from watching shows. Once I figure this out I will let you guys know in case someone else has the same issue. I will also call Netflix because the help I got from them did not lead me in this direction at all.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jake said:
Funky, Try setting the router to G only.
Hi Jake, My router has always been set to G only because my iPod touch is the only wireless device I use on the router. Everything else is hard wired. I'm not at the router at the moment, but tonight when I get the chance I'm going to look through the error logs to see if I can find something.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I thought I should share with you an update on my iPod Touch issue where it is unable to play Netflix movies/shows. I took it to a friend's house and it was not working there either. After trying lots such as restoring my iPod touch, uninstalling and reinstalling the Netflix App, finally I think I've found something. This morning I was at work and logged on to our D-Link wireless router and low and behold I could play movies/shows through Netflix on my iPod Touch. So there has to be something wrong with the router that I have. My friend has the same model router. It's the WRT610N, but both of us have loaded DD-WRT firmware into our routers.

The odd thing is I can play movies/shows from the PS3 and on my computer screen which is why I did not believe it could be the router. It's possible that the iPod Touch is using a different port. Now I'm on to finding out what port, and then configuring the router to allow access to my touch through it. I turned off QoS, and that didn't help. I also placed my iPod Touch in the DMZ, and that did not help either. It's very odd that the DMZ still rejects specific ports to a device. Those familiar with this would realize I'm not very good with port forwarding stuff as I have not had to deal with it before, so it will be a learning curve. I may first see if I can find something in a router log to determine why the iPod touch is being blocked from watching shows. Once I figure this out I will let you guys know in case someone else has the same issue. I will also call Netflix because the help I got from them did not lead me in this direction at all.
FunkyTown,

I have that same router at home but with the stock Linksys firmware and netflix works fine with my Ipod Touch 4G (as well as my PS3 over wifi and laptop).

I've also tried it on an older 802.11g Motorolla router (WR850G) running DD-WRT and the playback is fine.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After a lot of searching around on the net I finally got my Netflix working through my iPod Touch.

The DD-WRT firmware version 14896 has some sort of added security that was rejecting the iPod Touch's request to access Netflix over WiFi. I could still watch over my computer or PS3 which is odd. It seemed to be WiFi only. So I don't know if that is a firmware bug or intentional. I downgraded to DD-WRT firmware 14311 and it works fine now.

Hopefully this will help someone else who has the same issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts