Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the most previous generation 4 GB iPod nano functioning perfectly with iTunes 7.0.2.16, but a new 8 GB iPod nano has necessitated the installation of iTunes 8. :mad:

I installed v8.0.2.20 and everything seems to be working fine with the one major annoying exception that I cannot sync the new iPod with the music library on the computer. (Again, :mad:.) The option to do so is greyed out in the menu and the only way I could get the songs on the new iPod was to manually drag them. I assume this annoyance has to do with the installation of the new version of iTunes, but I can't tell if it may be because of the new iPod itself because the old one is no longer here.

I've tried searching the web for advice and have tried all the suggestions found there, but the syncing option is still greyed out.

Any help and/or insight from the iPod/ITunes gurus here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BTW, the computer that has iTunes 8.02.20 installed on it is running XP Pro with SP3 if that makes any difference.

·
Super Moderator
17,019 Posts
I'm running XP SP3 with iTunes 8.0.2.20 with an iPod Video, Nano and Shuffle. I'll assume that this iPod is not synced with any other computer. I don't normally use auto-sync, but here are a couple of suggestions.

1. When the iPod is plugged it, click on the specific device and check each tab for the content you want to sync.
  2. Uncheck Edit, Preferences, Devices, "Disable automatic syncing..."

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No sir, this iPod is not synced with any other computer, but here is one other piece of info I forgot to mention:

When the iPod is plugged in, it shows up under Devices as being present, but I am unable to click on it in order to select any tabs for any content to sync because it won't let me. The only option it presents me with is Eject. Also, if you look at the iPod under Windows Explorer (by going into WE itself, not through iTunes as the Show in Windows Explorer option is greyed out too), the device itself shows up and the Calendars, Contacts, iPod_Control, Notes and Recording folders and the .metadata_never_index file are present. All the songs on the device are listed under the Music sub-folder of iPod_Control.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is the iPod locked? The new Nanos have a lock feature that allows you to lock them and that might prevent your synching.

I am just spitballing here...

·
Super Moderator
17,019 Posts
Does your old iPod still work?

Have you tried a different USB port - preferably one you haven't used before?

When you first plugged in your new iPod, it should have gone through a setup process like naming the iPod. Did that happen?

Here's a related support article from Apple. Their support site is decent for troubleshooting. You could try searching there.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1363

I think Apple still offers free phone support, although after Christmas is probably the worst possible time.

By the way, I don't think you can play music by dragging it with WE. How did the songs get to the Music sub-folder?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Castorfache:

As far as I cannot tell, the iPod is not locked.

Dr. Dave:

I don't know if the old iPod still works because it was lost about two months ago. :(

I have tried all four available USB ports as well as the USB cable that came with the new iPod and the one I had for the old one. Still no luck.

I wasn't the one who initially plugged in the iPod, so I don't know if any type of setup screen appeared. All I know is a message appeared stating that iTunes had to be upgraded to version 8 or higher in order for the new device to work. Whenever you plug the iPod in when iTunes is running, a screen pops up in WE that shows it as another drive with a listing of all the contents of what is currently on the device. Also a nag screen pops up in iTunes asking me if I want to register the iPod now, later or never.

Thanks for the link you provided. However, iTunes sees the iPod when it's connected, it just won't allow me to do anything but eject it when I click on it. AFAICT, iTunes works exactly like it should with the one terrifically aggravating exception that the sync option is greyed out in the iTunes menu. In any case, should I try this resolution anyway? If I remove iTunes, will this remove all the music and folders that have been accumulated over the past two years?

I was thinking about calling Apple as a last resort, but I just figured this problem would get resolved much quicker and easier here. ;)

Finally, I didn't drag any of the music onto the iPod through WE, I used iTunes instead. I had to drag the songs I wanted on the iPod individually or in batches from where they are listed in the music section to the iPod listing under Devices. Since there were a total of 741 songs, I was not very happy about this.

·
Super Moderator
17,019 Posts
I'm a little confused. It sounds like you can click on the music folder of the iPod in iTunes but you can't click on the iPod name itself.

You should see see the following in iTunes
Code:
\/ DEVICES
  \/ [your iPod name]
      Music
      Movies
      etc.
If any of the triangles aren't pointing downward, click them to expand the content.

Click on [your iPod name]. On the right side of your screen you should see tabs across the top - Summary, Music, etc. Click on the "Music" tab and check mark "Sync Music".

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not in front of that computer right now but here's what I can tell you.

The music that I can see using iTunes is the music that is currently stored on the computer. I cannot see the music that is stored on the iPod itself, but the iPod is listed under Devices. When I try to click on this iPod listing under Devices, the only thing it will allow me to do is eject it. There are no triangles present to click on to allow me to expand the menu any further.

This is what's driving me bananas about this. iTunes sees the iPod, but it will not allow me to do anything with it except eject it and manually drag files to it. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
17,019 Posts
Try reading this again when you are at the iTunes computer. It will make more sense.

There should be a little grey triangle in front of the word "Devices" and one in front of [your iPod name].

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here Are Some Screenshots

There should be a little grey triangle in front of the word "Devices" and one in front of [your iPod name].
And herein lies the problem. There is no grey triangle in front of the iPod as can be seen from the following screenshot:

As you can see, the only option available to me when the new 8 GB Nano is hooked up to the XP Pro SP3 computer running iTunes v8.02.20 is to Eject it. :eek:

Also, here is a screenshot of the greyed out options under the File menu:

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I set up two Nano units for my employer's kids last week and had the same issue.

I believe the problem went away when the kids registered their units (and set up iTunes accounts) but I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I set up two Nano units for my employer's kids last week and had the same issue.

I believe the problem went away when the kids registered their units (and set up iTunes accounts) but I'm not 100% sure.
Thanks for the tip mark.

If this is the case then I'm not very happy about it. Does this mean that if I was to click on the never register option I would never be able to use this unit with iTunes? AFAIC, you shouldn't be forced to register any type of a portable media player with a company in order for it to be able to function properly for personal use.

What's even worse is the thought of being forced to setup an iTunes account. That seems pretty drastic to me especially if you're someone like me who would never have any use for anything from there. Really, all I want to be able to do is to sync the music from the computer with the iPod and that's all. I guess to be able to do a simple, straightforward task such as this is too much to expect from "the latest and greatest" (and even more bloated) version of iTunes. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
17,019 Posts
What happens when you do a normal left-click on the "IPOD" under DEVICES? You should get a screen that looks something like this:

If not, I would try registering the iPod. I've always registered mine right away, but I've never signed up for an iTunes account.

You probably don't want to check "Manually manage music" as I have. You should be able to click on the "Music" tab and check "Sync Music".

·
Registered
863 Posts
Auto syncing music only works if the iPod memory is larger than the music collection. With a Nano it's better to pick and choose playlists.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Same problem

I have recently set up my daughter's new Ipod Nano 8g (4G). The problem I encountered was that it downloaded all the music I had on my computer before I figured out to manually select the songs I wanted it to save. Now I can't get it to delete any songs on it and unfortunately she has a lot of heavy metal music on her Ipod that she doesn't have any interest in.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have recently set up my daughter's new Ipod Nano 8g (4G). The problem I encountered was that it downloaded all the music I had on my computer before I figured out to manually select the songs I wanted it to save. Now I can't get it to delete any songs on it and unfortunately she has a lot of heavy metal music on her Ipod that she doesn't have any interest in.
You can probably click restore under the summary tab and start over again.

To add only certain playlists, I usually "select sync only checked songs and videos" under summary and then check Selected Playlists under Music. Then I check the playlists I want on my ipod.

Hope that helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts