Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son bought an iPod 4 months ago for over $400 with his own $$$, now the rechargeable, soldered in, battery is dead.

It will cost him $80 for Apple to replace it.

Something is wrong with that.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'll call CS at Apple myself...

I know a few more choice words than he does. :)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I've split this thread as it was off topic.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You may want to try to reset the iPod and try charging again.

If that does not work check the cables.

There is more on this here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60941

They should also not charge for a replacement either since it has been under a year.

"How long is my iPod covered by Apple’s warranty?
Your iPod is covered by Apple’s One-Year Limited Warranty for iPod. Warranty service for eligible repairs is available at no charge for twelve months from the date of original retail purchase (”date of purchase”). A shipping and handling fee may apply to warranty repairs performed six months after date of purchase (note: this fee is not applicable in Europe)."

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
filper said:
My son bought an iPod 4 months ago for over $400...
Was the iPod new? Even a 20GB model runs around $440 at retail, and with tax, that's around $500.

If he got it for closer to $400, I'm guessing it was used or something. . . was it a product return? If so, take it back to where you bought it.

That's the main failing of the iPods - the built-in battery, while great, is like any other Li-ion battery, and after 300-400 charge cycles, it's done. So, if a person fully charges it every night, it's most likely going to have some battery issues after a year.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It was brand spankin' new, that's why I'm a little pissed for him.

Could you change the thread heading to 'iPod Issues' ?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think the free replacement period for iPod batteries is only 90 days. This is and unfortunate (for the consumer) oversight on Apple's part. There are sites on the web where you can order a third party replacement battery and tools to replace the battery yourself for less than Apple charges.

here, for example: http://www.ipodbattery.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts