Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all --

I searched the forums and didn't find a clear answer to what I was looking for.

Simple,

I need a dock station for my iPod Touch. Just need it to keep my iPod recharging and upright. Not looking for anything with speakers.

I know Apple makes the Universal Docking Station but it seems expensive?!

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Why do you need to keep your iPod upright? If this isn't strictly necessary then you could get a cheaper USB power adapter.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I need a dock station for my iPod Touch. Just need it to keep my iPod recharging and upright. Not looking for anything with speakers.
Try searching for "charging station" rather than a dock.

This one looks funky:

Found it at Amazon - lots to choose from there. This one is called the KONNET iCrado

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
All you need is a USB port so you can probably charge it on your computer, pvr, or just buy a Kensington or Apple power adaptor so you can charge it in your car or home

·
Registered
327 Posts
All you need is a USB port so you can probably charge it on your computer, pvr, or just buy a Kensington or Apple power adaptor so you can charge it in your car or home
Hugh - the OP specifically mentioned a device for charging AND holding the unit upright.

·
Registered
291 Posts

I charge mine in the kitchen and bought this to keep it off the counter (it's display is visible and he may want to see the alarm clock app) and still have access to all of my plugs for the toaster, coffee maker etc...

London Drugs had it for $15 on Boxing day, I think it's regular $25.

One option of many,

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes but why does the OP want it holding upright?
I have my iPod hooked up via a stereo cable to a Panasonic SA-PM53 Stereo System.

I was hoping to have it sit upright vertically so that the Cover Art is visible as it plays. (and charge when not playing)

My only concern is that many of the docks cover the access to the Stereo cord input.
(like in the example above)

I'll keep looking....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think there is space underneath to install the stereo cord. It will lie flat against the frame. But can't really tell for sure.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mac Universal Dock/iPod Touch - Line Out?

Hi!

I purchased the Mac Universal Dock today and was having problems with the Line Out.

I can plug my stereo cord directly from iPod Touch (4th Gen) into my Panasonic Stereo System's "Music Port" and I can hear sound from its speakers.

When I place it into the dock, and use the "line out" I can only hear music from the iPod itself and not from the external speakers.

Any suggestions? Any settings to change?

Thanks!
Regards,

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The iPhone automatically shuts off line out when docked and I'm certain that the iPod touch does as well.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What do you mean?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"The iPhone automatically shuts off line out when docked and I'm certain that the iPod touch does as well."

Do you mean to say that when I have my iPod Touch "docked" that the line-out function (from the dock) is disabled?

If this is the case, how would one use the "line out" port on the bottom of the "dock"?

Isn't that the whole point?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The purpose of the Line-out is to send sound to analog headphones or analog inputs on a device. The dock connector is a digital connection.

It appears for all iOS devices, when the digital connection is enabled (i.e./docked), the analog outputs are disabled. I have not tested the 4th Gen iPod touch so I can't confirm but its true for earlier iPod touches and my 3GS iPHone.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, I am unable to do the following -- (just confirming)

A) plug iPod Touch into Universal Dock
B) connect stereo cord from universal dock's "Line Out" into my Panasonic's "Music Port" input jack.
C) listen to music via Panasonic speakers

I must be missing something......

From the user guide:

"Using the Universal Dock you can play music from the ipod or iphone through external speakers or a stereo receiver. Use an audio cable with standard 3.5 mm stereo miniplug"

1. Place your iPod or iPhone in the dock
2. Connect the speakers or stereo to the Dock line out port
3. To play music, use the iPod or iPhone controls or the Apple remote

What am I missing here people?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Okay, I understand the confusion.

I was talking about the line-out on the iPod Touch itself which you use for headphones or music out. This shuts down when you put the iOS device in the dock

You are correct that the line out on the dock should work.

The fact that the music still comes from the iPod tells me the iPod is not seated correctly on the dock connector.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay I apologize for not being clearly in my OP.

It is strange because when I plug the stereo cord directly from the iPod Touch "headphone" output into my stereo it works perfect.

Put the Touch into the dock and connect from the dock's Line Out into the stereo and nothing. Only sound from the Touch (and not from the Panasonic speakers)

Did I buy a lemon?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I was talking about the line-out on the iPod Touch itself which you use for headphones or music out. This shuts down when you put the iOS device in the dock.
Does plugging on the dock differs from plugging a simple USB cable to the iTouch? Because I keep my iPod plugging in often to keep the battery charged while watching/listening to podcasts. The audio port functions fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts