Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I was looking for a solution to my home audio needs.

I have 20 GB of music.

I want to be able to:

a) stream music from an iPod Touch or Classic into my Panasonic Stereo

b) purchase a portable Stereo that I can take with me around the house to listen to tunes

Seeing as I have 20GB of music, should I go with the Classic (160 GB) or an iPod Touch?

Does one unit sound better than another?

Looking for advantages or disadvantages based on price / features

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
What do you mean by "streaming" music? The Classic has no streaming capability so you'll need to connect it to whatever stereo you're using via a dock or audio cables. Same thing with the Touch except it does have streaming capability via the new AirPlay feature. You'll need an Airport Express or a new Airplay-ready stereo like this one: http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/10/09/03/ihome.to.have.airplay.wireless.speaker.soon/

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by "streaming" music? The Classic has no streaming capability so you'll need to connect it to whatever stereo you're using via a dock or audio cables. Same thing with the Touch except it does have streaming capability via the new AirPlay feature. You'll need an Airport Express or a new Airplay-ready stereo like this one: http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/10/09/03/ihome.to.have.airplay.wireless.speaker.soon/
Sorry! Wrong choice of words.

I meant I wanted an MP3 player that I could "connect" (not wireless necessarily) to my Panasonic stereo and I'd like to purchase a seperate portable device that I can pop my ipod into to listen to music throughout the house and even outside.....

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Let's put it this way: If you were to purchase a 32GB iPod Touch (or 64GB, if you have the extra $$), I doubt you'll ever say, "Damn - wish I had the Classic". Whereas if you got the Classic, I could just about guarantee that at least once in the coming year, you'd say, "Yeah - a iPod Touch would be good right about now."

Music quality: I've never heard anything distinguishing the two; my guess would be whatever is coming out of the dock connector (music files) is identical between the two devices.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's put it this way: If you were to purchase a 32GB iPod Touch (or 64GB, if you have the extra $$), I doubt you'll ever say, "Damn - wish I had the Classic". Whereas if you got the Classic, I could just about guarantee that at least once in the coming year, you'd say, "Yeah - a iPod Touch would be good right about now."

Music quality: I've never heard anything distinguishing the two; my guess would be whatever is coming out of the dock connector (music files) is identical between the two devices.
Okay you do make a good point.

What about iPod docks? Looking for a portable "boom box" type of device.

What's good?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts