Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
“We couldn’t get the parts anymore. They don’t make them anymore,”

Poor excuse, if they wanted to continue the product they could make the parts themselves.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I agree that is a bad excuse. Even at severely lower volumes compared to a few years ago I still have to think this sells more than many other consumer electronic product.

What part would be hard to get? The mechanical hard drives? I would think pretty much everything else is a pretty standard product.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
With a look at the Apple site, none of their iPods interest me now.

I'm surprised they didn't retool it with flash memory of, say, 160Gb or more.

With longer battery life, it still would have been a seller with more memory and being friendly to rough handling.

Cameron

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Classic becomes instant classic

Looks like the iPod Classic is getting a second life on EBay. Some 160 GB models are going for up to a thousand dollars.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Walmart.ca had them for about $250 on Black Friday or thereabouts. I bought one, if I was smart I would have checked eBay and bought more. The one that I bought is still sealed in its original shrink wrap and box. I am considering selling it on eBay.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Walmart.ca had them for about $250 on Black Friday or thereabouts. I bought one, if I was smart I would have checked eBay and bought more. The one that I bought is still sealed in its original shrink wrap and box. I am considering selling it on eBay.
I have no idea why anyone would pay that much when you can buy a new iPod Touch for less than that. For the last few years, I've done more TV watching while riding on trains and buses than at home after learning how to transfer recorded TV shows onto mine. It beats being able to listen only to music or the teenaged girl sitting near you yelling and giggling into her phone for the whole trip.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
That's true for video, but many applictions don't require video or even a very large screen. The highest capacity iPod Touch is 64GB. Many of us have music libraries that are way bigger than that (the Classic is 160GB) and it is very convenient to be able to have your entire library with you at all times. And the iPod Classic can be controlled without looking at it - like when it is in your pocket.

IMHO the iPod Classic is great in your car, especially if your car has decent iDevice integration as you never look at the screen of the iPod as you select everything from the screen in your car.

Arguably a portable hard drive is an even better solution as you can get 2TB for $100. Or you could slap a 250GB SSD in a 2.5" enclosure. But I am not sure how well these work in terms of giving you a decent UI that makes it easy to find songs, rather than having to troll through a directory structure. Maybe an external hard drive paired with front end software on your phone (like Plex) would do the trick.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts