Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed a wireless router at my parents. My new iPhone won't recognize the network. When I try to enter the network name and password, it doesn't recognize the password. I have gone to the Apple troubleshooting area and completed all the steps to no avail. My iTouch and MacBook Pro work flawlessly logging onto the network. The phone worked fine on my wireless network at home prior to leaving for my parents for the holidays. The next step will be to return home and see if it recognizes my network there. If that doesn't work then it will have to go in for service. Prior to that though, has anyone else experienced this and figured out how to get it to work?

Thanks, M64

·
Registered
86 Posts
You're problem involves many things that you do not mention (eg, encryption, login security, IP allocation, ...). There is a possibilty that someone here might've experienced connection problems similar to yours, but you're probably better off posting a message to your router manufacturer's own forum.

best of luck & happy holidays :)

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
While I don't about iPhones, some devices choke on certain characters, so I use only alpha-numberic passwords. However, if you're having problems, start first without encryption to ensure a connection, then select the same type of encryption (you should be using WPA2, which is the most secure availble to home users). Also, cut 'n paste the password to prevent errors.

BTW, you can get 63 random character passwords from www.grc.com. It's hard to break one of those.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
My new iPhone won't recognize the network.
What do you mean by that? Does your iPhone find the network or is it like the network doesn't exist?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I had a problem with an iPhone 3G where it would see the network and connect but constantly lose the connection with the wireless within minutes of connecting. We just gave up even trying because another iPhone 3G had no problem. When we got iPhone 4s, they worked on the same network without problems.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Make sure that the wireless network you created is not using the 5 GHz band. The iPhones don't use that frequency, none of the current smartphones are able to use that frequency as far as I know. Use 2.4 GHz only.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Perhaps the router has mac filtering turned on? If that is on, the router rejects any 'intruders' even if they have the password.

·
Registered
139 Posts
iPhone 4 won't connect to wireless network follow-up

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I am not there anymore and will have to try troubleshooting it some more later. You've given me some good ideas to pursue.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to All, M64

·
Registered
241 Posts
Try "forgetting" the network so it clears from the list of saved wifi networks in your phone, then reconnect to it. This usually fixes the issue with a constant drop of wifi connectivity on your home network. The only issue I have ever experienced on wireless networks have been at Telus equipped homes, for whatever reason the network asks for the actual Telus password when connecting.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I have a somewhat similar issue with my wi-fi network (D-Link DIR-825) + iPhone 3G. It constantly loses connection with an alert saying "Incorrect password - please enter the password for _______ network" (Ironically, it's happened twice while writing this!)

The aggravating thing is, it only happens on my home network, nowhere else.

Any ideas? I've tried "Forget this network" with no success, I've played around with the advanced router settings, nada.

·
Banned
328 Posts
I have this issue with my iPad every few weeks. It will find my network but is "unable to connect" or asks for the password again. To fix this I go to Settings, General, Reset and Reset Network Settings. Hope that works :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried the reset sequence as per the Apple troubleshooting instructions but it didn't work. Will have to t/s further when I go back to Mom & Dad's.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Thanks Coop! I've changed my settings (same router model) and I'll update with my results.

UPDATE: I've been on my iPhone for 20 minutes now and not a single wi-fi dropout! Before chaining my router settings, I would lose connection and be prompted for my password every 30 seconds - 2 minutes on average. Thank you thank you thank you Coop!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts