Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you do it? How much are u willing to pay?

In the new year, we will be in the states from Friday night to Thurs night. Driving to Detroit Thurs night, flying out of Detroit to Denver early Friday morning. Flying back to Detroit from Denver during the day on Thurs.

5-6 days in the US.

Looking at my data usage, it looks like I use 3Mb/day over the past 7 day period, backed up by looking at the data over the last 2 weeks as well.

Of course, here at home, I wifi at work and at home.

On vacation, I can wifi at our condo we are renting - included in rental fee, plus maybe at the hotel site where my conference will be at.

The rest of the time, it will be at airports (? free wifi - not at Detroit,maybe at Denver). and on the ski hills.

If I keep my data roaming to less than 21MB over 5 days, then the cost through telus will be $10(data roaming 'plan') + $21 = $31

I can live with $5-7/day to use my iPhone in the states for a short period of time....

Howabout your experiences?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Given AT&T's coverage in relatively remote (holiday) areas, I found that purchasing even something minimal didn't offer much for the money. My experience near Bend Oregon has me expecting no coverage if I'm in a snowdrift.

my CA$0.02 :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TC,

That might be an option, but unfortunately my iPhone is locked..... The cheapest plan it looks like is $65 /7 days and 100Mb.

Calling isn't such a big deal, hardly use it now, and I'm happy with skype on the iPhone etc.

Peter

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gino,

Sorry, I'm 12 months in on a 36month contract with Telus.

Peter

·
Registered
748 Posts
Petee, you say you are at a conference part of the time. If the trip is partly business and you can claim the cost as a business expense or be reimbursed AND you really need to be reachable, then the cost might be worth it. For a vacation though, do you really want or need to be in such regular contact?

Airports: I hope you're not in any of them long enough to matter. What can't wait until you're at the condo?

Ski Hills: I hope you're not planning to read e-mail or check your portfolio while you're schlussing down a mountain. ;)

More seriously, unless using data is about making/losing money, WIFI should satisfy most consumer needs, IMO. If you want to text-message while you are away, consider installing KIK (free) or WHATSAPP (99cents); you'll be able to send SMS and MMS using your WIFI hookup for free. You already know about Skype for telephone calls or you could add the LINE2 app for a local telephone number. $10 a month for unlimited North American calling. E-mail and web-browsing are free of course when you're at the condo.

If it's anything like here, the conference centre will charge exorbitant rates for WIFI on the assumption that it's all billed to expense accounts. (At the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, WIFI costs about $40 a day which explains the crowd using the free service at The Second Cup on the ground floor.) You may be able to check with the centre in Denver before you go.

If you do decide to use your Telus account to access data, make sure international data roaming is turned-on. I just set-up 2 iPhone plans this month and note that it's turned-off by default (check account status on MyTelus). I can understand why Telus would do this to reduce complaints from the unaware getting caught with a huge bill for what Telus has to reimburse AT&T.

Have a great trip.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thornhill,

Thx for the reply. Yeah, the conference center can be crazy expensive.... they charged like $30 for brkfast to the organizers.... Really nice hotel though (Riverfront Westin in Avon Creek). We had a room there last year, so wifi was included in the room rate.... hoping to bum some wifi off some friend's i've met who are repeat attendees. Family would be more comfortable in an offsite 2bdroom condo, so that is where I booked this year.

I managed fine last year without Data, but that was my 1st month with the phone.... Now, that I'm addicted to it, it might be a different story... I think the going rate(12months ago) by Cdn providers for US roaming was in the $30/Mb [3c/Kb] price range.... makes $1/Mb seem like a good deal... (yeah right).

Work doesn't pay for my iPhone, but I intend to write off the monthly bills under my student lodging rental income on my tax return.

P

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've heard nothing but horror stories from folks who leave roaming enabled on a smartphone. Remember these things are constantly connecting to the cloud whether you're using it or not.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm on Virgin and got the $10/$1/MB plan when I went to the states last month.

One word of advice - turn off your data when your not intentionally using it.

You never know when one of your Apps might decided to try and download a bunch ..without you realizing it! (damn Kobo!)

I used about $40 worth of data ($5 of that was due to Kobo :p) over a 6 day period, for me it was worth it, I didn't have easily accessible wi-fi, and used it for a Maps App while travelling.

I just always monitored my usage, and turned it off when not using.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
One option (if you go to the USA frequently) might be to buy a Virgin Mobile USA MiFi mobile hotspot. $150 or so up front, then UNLIMITED data for a month for $40 (I think that was the price; might be $45).

I bought a Verizon MiFi a couple years ago and we drove down with it plugged into the car's 12V adapter - it was pretty much like having full-time data (although the speeds from Verizon were pathetic; all those who complain about AT&T and pine for a Verizon iPhone had better watch what they're wishing for - it ain't pretty). The other downside with Verizon's MiFi is that it's on contract, and it's $60/month on contract. You can get month-to-month, but it's $85, I think, for 5GB.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I use AT&T Gophone while I'm in the US. While I have never used it for data since I have the $10 add-on for rogers ... you could buy 100mb for $20 with Gophone (or 1mb for $5). Lasts 30 days from the day you activate it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts