Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the fence between the iPhone4 and BB Bold 9700. I have been using the BB curve for 3 years now with my previous job and understand the features that the BB has. I also own an itouch and am familiar with everything it has to offer as well.

Due to moving into a more custom installation job I can see the added features of the iphone yet can use all of the apps on my current itouch (crestron, lutron, and home automation apps).

If I were to get the iphone I would be selling the touch as there is no need for both.

I would be mostly using the phone for texting and calling. I do know a lot of people with a bb but am willing to give up BBM and PIN's if I had to for the added "features (apps)" of the iphone.

email isn't crucial as of yet and if/when it does become crucial it would most likely through outlook.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am not concerned about the "flaws" with the iphone as they are easily fixed if need be.

Thanks ,

Tunksy

·
Registered
48 Posts
I owned a bb for years and recently switched to the iphone 3gs.
so im going to break it down to pros and cons of the iphone

pro's
-apps (bigger selection easier to use than App world on bb)

-layout (easier to navigate) i feel that the blackberry layout is becoming a little outdated (that being said i have heard that bb is currently working on a completely re-developed interface)

-speed (i find that the iphone is quicker to respond then my bb was)

-wifi (i prefer the auto connect and speed of iphones wifi)

-browser (the safari browser is much better than anything i have used on bb)

Con's
-ring tones and customized sound settings (with the iphone for calls you can customize what you want to play for a tone, but for email, txt, calendar reminders its just a beep and it on or off no changing it.) also for the ringers its either ring all or vibrate all there is no customization.

-bluetooth (works but seems crippled to me) i have a bluetooth through my stereo for calls and and can stream music, with the bb i had no problems no drop outs in audio. with the iphone i have frequent drop outs in audio and the people i talk to have a harder time hearing me. also if the phone is connect to bluetooth all audio sounds go through the bluetooth i.e. txt alert sounds, calendar reminders, email notifications, etc this is annoying to me because when listening to the radio i don't hear if any of these things come in and have to check periodically.(well my passenger does because i live in Ontario and cant touch my phone while driving)

-multitasking (this is a new feature in ios4, it works but the apps have to support multitasking otherwise it sits in the multitask bar but when you tap it, it starts as new)

Iphone 4
there are a few reported manufacturing and design problems with this phone that im sure you have heard about by now. if not google it.

in the end i prefer my iphone over bb. but you may also want to look at an Android based phone. i wish i had taken a look at them before i jumped to the iphone, i have heard very good things about them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know enough about android as well I may in the near future need enterprise for email which I am not sure if android supports

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^^^
Android works very well with GMail. It can also support regular POP and IMAP email, along with Outlook.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I had a similar question a few weeks back. I ended up with a BB9700. This is considering I mostly need to type (and sometimes write an article while I'm on the plane). It's PITA to type on an iPhone but much less so on the BB.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have my iPhone 3GS hooked to my Rogers account through POP and Gmail though EXCHANGE. Therefore any mail going to my Gmail is immediately received on my iPhone. My calendar and contacts syncs with Gmail as well which is very handy. My Rogers account I leave set to manual check. The only thing that I found lacking between BB and iPhone was the ability to connect Domino servers, but as I type, my Notes Administrator is in the midst of researching and implementing Notes Companion which should solve that problem.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i've only owned BlackBerry phones for the last 10+ years, and with the release of the BB 9800 slider coming out next week I would say wait and see what it is like because to me that seems to be the best of both worlds when it comes to touchscreen vs. keyboard as well as the much anticipated first hand release of OS6 (and new BB web browser kit) from the BlackBerry Camp. As far as apps and app world are concerned, App world 2.0 was released in beta yesterday and they are in the process of getting carriers on board to pay for apps through your phone bill. So for me and mobility I have to say BlackBerry... but as a computer user I own a MacBook Pro, MacBook, a mini Mac, and a 27" iMac (and a Time Machine)

There are pros and cons to each, but as my dad always told me "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only reason why I am changing is due to switching jobs and my previous employer gave me a phone and paid for it. For the last 3 years I have not had a phone bill, unfortunately with the new company they are providing a truck phone but not one I will be able to use for personal use as I could with my last employer.

Someone else had mentioned for me to wait for the 9800 but looking at the design of it and seeing bb previous attempts at a touch screen I wasn't happy with the technology.

I am not looking at the phone for web browsing as I will mostly have a computer with me that will allow me to do that when I am on the road. I am more concerned about the apps and the usability. I am not too fond of the 9700's icons and layout as I have played around with it for a brief time.

I think due to my job I am leaning more towards the iphone as it does give me the option of using the home automation apps that I will be installing into customers homes. It will also give me the ability to sell the programming service to the customers as I will be able to show them what abilities they have with their ipad, itouch, or iphone.

·
Registered
358 Posts
well at least wait for the Bold 9780 in September... it has double the memory of the 9700 and was designed specifically to handle OS6... JMO

also, now that your paying for the bill shop the provides and see what the pros and cons of each device are cost wise.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
According to CBC news yesterday, there's a new Blackberry model being announced next week. Perhaps you should see what it offers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Iphone is more than a phone

I have been using iPhones since 2008 and have never used a BB so I'm biased. The iPhone isn't perfect but it is very good at many thing that the blackberry isn't. Internet, apps, iPod, video, books, games, camera 5mp, 720p video etc. The apps really make the phone a portable computer especially apps like quick office, logmein ignition, iMovie, etc. My iPhone 4 is more than a phone, it's a tool that makes my days more productive, informative, and entertaining. For that purpose there is no better phone. In fact in my opinion the iPhone is the most amazing consumer product of our time! But remember I am biased!

This post was written on my iPhone.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
two things that iPhone can't do as well as Blackberry, however:

1. phone quality is lacking (I always have difficulty hearing every single one of my buddy who is using iPhone directly -- ie not using a BT device such as Jawbone)
2. typing is PITA, especially if you write (at least) 50 e-mails a day.

for everything else, Blackberry sucks big time.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
3. Custom alerts for emails. There's no way I would go back to a Blackberry in its present and near future state but I still miss that feature.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts