Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, im not what you would call a huge tech guy, but i do try to keep up to whats going on, anyways ive had an iphone for awhile now, when from 3g to 3gs and now to 4 m question is about push email, ive never tried to set it up, and in fact im not even sure i can with my email provider, i use m eastlink account, and i use it frequently during the day, would be nice to get them instantly at times, anyways i use outlook on m pc and just manually fetch my email on the phone, is ther a way to have it pushed to my phone? thanks alot

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm may have Togo the gmail route, the link provided is great foe setting up the email, but I've already done that, I just can't get push to run, I'm guessing it's not supported by eastlink?
If I were to use gmal I would have to have my mail forwarded to that account? Then when I send a new mail or reply, can I have it set so it displays my eastlink account and they reply to that? Did that make any sense lol thanks again!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I don't think POP3 supports push e-mail - you can just set how often the device should check for e-mail. You would probably need an e-mail server that supports IMAP4.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
^^^^
GMAil supports IMAP, as does Primus. There are others. I run my own IMAP server.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok ooks like I'll try a gmail account, thanks guys, oh any insight to my gmail forewardimg questions above?

·
Registered
748 Posts
One thing you will want to do is add Gmail as your SMTP server and then set your Eastlink account as your default address. If you don't do that, Gmail will use it as the sent-from address regardless of what return address you have set. This, assuming you want to retain your Eastlink address.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok that sounds straight foreward, thanks slot, I'm gonna give it a go. Ill be sure to postif I still have problems. Thanks alot

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't know if my problem is on the iPhone side or Yahoo Mail server side, but I don't always get Yahoo Mail Push on my iPhone Mail App. And yes I set up my iPhone to run Push for everything including Yahoo Mail. My GMail and Hotmail Push however works 100% of the time and happens almost instantly. Note that I dumped the iPhone Mail App default for GMail setting which doesn't support Push and followed web wisdom to set up GMail as Microsoft Exchange for Push to work perfectly all the time. Maybe it's the same thing for iPhone Mail App's Yahoo Mail default setting? However, I can't successfully set up Yahoo Mail as Microsoft Exchange because none of the SMTP server names I tried for Yahoo works. If you know of the problem, know a solution, know the correct Yahoo Mail SMTP server name, or know anything about the matter, I want to hear from you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts