Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read it this morning from apple.ca store. Sounds like iPhones sold contract-free from Apple can be activated with any sim card. On top of that, it looks like the non-subsidized prices will be $50 less than this past year (down to $649/749 for 16/32 GB).

Do I need to commit to a long-term contract for my iPhone?
Buying a commitment-free iPhone from the Apple Online Store allows you choose your own carrier and change carriers at any time. iPhone may also be available at a reduced initial price with a contract directly from your wireless carrier.
Can I use my iPhone outside my home country?
Yes. iPhone is enabled to work on carrier networks using GSM around the world. Because the iPhone sold by the Apple Online Store is commitment-free, you can purchase a SIM or micro-SIM card and service from a local carrier at your destination. Or check with your home carrier regarding international roaming charges.
http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=OTY2ODA2OQ#faqs

I think this is great to see. In my opinion why should Apple worry about the carriers?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
More choice and more options. I like it too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is this information new? I would think "someone" would have noticed this before... I like the little dig towards our oppressive carriers!

I was always going to go the non-contract route with the iPhone - this seals the deal.

·
Registered
748 Posts
This is great news indeed. I'm wondering if Apple has changed the rules for Canada since all the major carriers are now offering the iPhone and it just makes things simpler for Apple to sell unlocked phones as they are required to do, by law, in a number of foreign countries.

The next test will be whether the carriers offer any incentives on voice and data plans to sign a multi-year contract OR apply punitive pricing for service without a long-term commitment (when the customer brings his/her own phone).

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this information new? I would think "someone" would have noticed this before... I like the little dig towards our oppressive carriers!

I was always going to go the non-contract route with the iPhone - this seals the deal.
The info is definitely new. It went up on the site this morning after they added iPhone 3GS 8GB and iPhone 4 in the Apple Store.

If only the iPhone 4 had brought along AWS band and allowed us to use it on Wind or Mobilicity...

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I believe a few years ago in the UK, Carphone Warehouse was hiring staff to unlock iPhones purchased in North America so that they could sell them ASAP. They even offered full warranties on the devices.

Apple pretty much has no other choice here. Either sell it unlocked, or create a black market from which others will profit.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe a few years ago in the UK, Carphone Warehouse was hiring staff to unlock iPhones purchased in North America so that they could sell them ASAP. They even offered full warranties on the devices.

Apple pretty much has no other choice here. Either sell it unlocked, or create a black market from which others will profit.
The only true way though was purchasing iPhones from the few countries where they had to be legally sold factory unlocked, though the price wasn't exactly cheap.

Otherwise the only way to unlock is by using a software unlock, which you have to rely on jailbreak, and then run into the mess everytime new firmware is released.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Major kudos to Apple here! I will admit to being quite surprised by this news, but I love it!

Granted, I can now see the rush of US residents asking us Canadians to purchase an unlocked iPhone 4 to send to them, since the US site indicates it's only available on a 2-year contract from AT&T. Role reversal of the scenario that played out when the first iPads came to the US. :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Although this is definitely good news and a step in the right direction, it won't change the state of Canadian wireless industry much. There will be some sales of unlocked iPhones, mostly to people who plan to use them abroad. But the big three wireless companies will still retain the stranglehold they have on consumers with the three-year contracts that they will force them to sign to get a subsidized iPhone. It's those unbelievably long commitments (probably the longest in the world) that are stifling competition and suppressing innovation in the wireless market in Canada, and, unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much uproar among consumers against them. Offering unlocked phones is good, but won't change this sad reality.
Anyway, it's still an excellent news and it has some, although mostly symbollic importance - until now the Big Three laughed in the face of every customer who asked a question with the word "unlocked" in it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^That is true, and it's going to be a while before it really changes. A big part of the problem is consumers don't really seem to care about contracts as long as they get that "free phone" or a cheap iPhone/BB/whatever..

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
^ I agree, this is one of those things that everyone screams for until they actually get it and then they're no longer interested. I doubt too many people will be buying them unlocked because it will be too expensive and they'll want a subsidy.

·
Registered
748 Posts
^ I agree, this is one of those things that everyone screams for until they actually get it and then they're no longer interested. I doubt too many people will be buying them unlocked because it will be too expensive and they'll want a subsidy.
A lot will depend on what we have to pay for a voice and data plan on a month-to-month basis. I will, grudginlgy, pay the same as a 3-year contract contract customer with a subsidized phone - the price of liberty - but if the carriers make it more expensive/deny access to the best-priced plans to non-contract subscribers, I will be very unhappy.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
It's the same. They're not going to charge you more. But unless you can wrangle some sort of promotional special or discount from a nice CSR you're also not going to pay less.

If you're going to ride out even half of the contract term and you don't need it to be unlocked for sim switching then it makes sense to buy subsidized.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
These days, I'm lucky my phones last a whole year! Ever since I've started to produce product review videos, my average consumer electronics turn-around has gone through the roof! :p

Unlocked for me.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hmmm! This could be very attractive as well because the re-sale value of an 'officially' un-locked phone should be much better than a jail broken phone. Couple that with the flexibility of not being locked to a contract, especially a three year one, and this is looking better and better all the time.

I'm definitely going to look into what packages are available to unlocked iPhones when these start to hit the market.

And as a price comparison of sorts

iPhone 16 GB $649
iPhone 32 GB $749
(assumed prices)

iPad +3G 16 GB $679
iPad +3G 32 GB $779

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Just be advised that, despite the lower price, you will be dealing with a much smaller screen when compared with the iPad. For those amongst us with ageing and weakening eyes, this can be a serious problem.

Then again, you can't make phone calls with an iPad even with its 3G capabilities. :p

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm! This could be very attractive as well because the re-sale value of an 'officially' un-locked phone should be much better than a jail broken phone. Couple that with the flexibility of not being locked to a contract, especially a three year one, and this is looking better and better all the time.

I'm definitely going to look into what packages are available to unlocked iPhones when these start to hit the market.

And as a price comparison of sorts

iPhone 16 GB $649
iPhone 32 GB $749
(assumed prices)

iPad +3G 16 GB $779
iPad +3G 32 GB $879
Maybe you just mistyped, but iPad 3G pricing for 16GB and 32GB is $679 and $779. $879 is 64GB 3G model.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Exactly how it is with Wind Mobile.
I've read countless posts on their forums "Your phones are too expensive, make them free like robellus!"

(/facepalm)

If only people would understand there's nothing free in life, perhaps they'd take better care of their $500 device.

The majority of people get it, though.
Unlocked phones + no contract means you're free to leave whenever you want. That means the wireless carrier has to work to keep you there, or you'll go to someone who will.

I have a feeling though, that since the new iphone doesn't work on AWS, people will be stuck with a (high priced) contract, regardless of whether they buy the phone or get it from robellus.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just be advised that, despite the lower price, you will be dealing with a much smaller screen when compared with the iPad. For those amongst us with ageing and weakening eyes, this can be a serious problem.

Then again, you can't make phone calls with an iPad even with its 3G capabilities. :p
I realize that.

The reason for the price comparison was to illustrate that, despite the perceived high price for the iPhone, when compared to the iPad +3G with similar memory configuration the prices aren't that much different. The fact that you can't make cellular phone calls with the iPad it has a similar 3G radio, in addition to many other components, so that's why I used it as a comparison.

The iPad has a larger battery and screen but the screen on the iPhone 4 is much higher resolution (326 ppi vs 132 ppi). The iPhone 4 also has both front and rear facing cameras and now includes the 3-axis gyro.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts