Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some back story. I currently have an iPhone 3g with rogers, I am eligible to upgrade my plan to an iPhone 4 in August or I can buy an iPhone 4 outright. I spoke to someone today who can cancel my plan with rogers, wave the $500 cancellation fee and get me the iPhone 4 for $159 plus a $100 transfer fee and start a new 3 year contract with Fido.

What would you do? Cancel the contract and go with fido? Wait until August? or buy the phone outright?
I really have no idea and have only ever used rogers and fido as service providers.
Thanks in advance :)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
$500 Cancellation fee? Who told you that it would be that much?

The Cheapest is to wait until your contract is over and then hunt for the best deal

·
Registered
235 Posts
$500 seems kind of excessive.. Can't roger's offer you a better upgrade plan or a prorated upgrade based on the amount of time remaining on the contract? Throught that they did that, you would not be eligble for the full discount but at least something.

The difference between the 2 isn't really anything anymore is it? Both owned by the same company.. I'd talk to somebody other then a first level drone at roger's first and then decide.. If in doubt wait till August. The difference in the phones really isn't that huge unless you really want to use face time.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
An Early Cancellation Fee total of $500 sounds about right, actually. Here's one of the Rogers Wireless ECF policies, excerpted from one of Rogers' web pages:
• VOICE: The ECF is the greater of (i) $100 or (ii) $20 per month remaining in the service agreement, to a maximum of $400 (plus applicable taxes), and applies to each line in the plan that is terminated.
• DATA: The DECF is the greater of (i) $25 or (ii) $5 per month remaining in the Data Term, to a maximum of $100 (plus applicable taxes), and applies in addition to the ECF for termination of your service agreement.
• If you subscribe to a plan combining both voice and data services, both the ECF and the DECF will apply.
It's possible different plans/combos have different ECFs.
BTW, Fido has an similar cancellation policy, also adding up to a max of $500:
http://www.fido.ca/cms/html/en/important_information.shtml
My jaw dropped open when I purchased my iPhone from Fido and was handed the new cancellation policy to read and sign.

As for nikki199013's original question … I'd wait until August, unless Fido is offering you a better priced voice/data plan that would make it worth your while to swallow the $100 transfer charge. (Fido and Rogers are on the same network, after all.)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
But op is eight months from upgrade so wouldn't it be 8 x $25 or $200?

To OP, also note that wireless companies will sometimes waive the fees if you are within six moths of end of contract and if you sign up for a 36 month term so you may want to wait until February.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
@hugh: You're right — there appears to have been some exaggeration on the part of whoever spoke with nikki199013.
VOICE: $25 x 8 months = $200.
DATA: $5 x 8 months = $40.
Total before taxes = $240.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
is anything wrong with the 3G? if not, you might as well keep it for the time being and once your ready to upgrade get the iphone 4G. It really doesn't make sense cancelling and switching to another provider just to get a fancy brand new iphone 4. you will get a monthly plan that may be more expensive from what your paying for now, plus when they say they will waive the cancellation fee, I have heard of people still getting billed for it its not a guarentee they will waive it, so take that into concideration you might be better off sticking to what you have now. then wait till the end of your contract to start negocciating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I forgot to mention the phones condition, I guess I should have elaborated more. My iPhone 3g is pretty messed up. Broken screen, slow, freezes often, only one speaker works, turns off randomly etc. I'm in need of a new phone either way. It is also no longer covered under any warranty so if I want to get another phone through apple the cost is $691. My phone is eligible for renewal in August but the contract isn't done until August 2012. I think I will have a hard time going back to a regular phone after having had an iPhone for a year and half, I'm quite attached.
I spoke to someone yesterday who said he could wave the $500 cancellation fee with rogers so all I would be paying for a new phone is the $159 for the phone itself and then the $100 transfer fee as long as I signed a new 3 year contract with Fido.
I've just never been with Fido before so I'm wondering if it would be worth it to sign the contract with Fido or to just buy the phone outright.
I probably seem pretty dumb but I really don't want to make a decision I'm going to regret :)

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Well, as was mentioned earlier, Rogers Wireless and Fido share the same wireless network, so you shouldn't notice anything different in terms of coverage. If you've been happy with Rogers, you'll likely be happy with Fido.
What you need to weigh, is which if these you find more important:
• Being able to obtain cellphone service without signing contracts and being able to switch service providers at your leisure. (The price is giving up nearly $700 of your hard-earned cash.)
• Being able to obtain your new iPhone at a significant discount and to take advantage of a reduced monthly rate. (The price is signing a three-year contract with Fido, and having to pay a penalty if you want to leave early.)

(Full disclosure: I've been a Fido customer since 2000.)

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
call retentions,

yes i can agree the cancellation fee was 400 for voice contract, and 100 for Data Early Cancellation fee, which equals 500.

All those Data plans people are signing up to have a catch, adds an additional cancellation fee to your term, unless you get the no-term versions.

If it was me, I would pick up a used iPhone 3G for a hundred bucks or 200, or so. since you said you don't take care of the conditions of your phone, you might use it to your advantage and start buying used phones instead of new, that way you dont have to fork over a 600 bucks every time you break it? am I not right?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'd agree with the buy a used 3G advice. At this point you might as well wait until the 5th generation iphone comes out in the summer. Save yourself the cancelation costs and decide what carrier is offering the best deal at that time.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Bear in mind that Fido tends to stack contracts in certain situations as well, so if you were to sign a 3-year agreement now and get the iPhone 4, then upgrade to the iPhone 5 next summer, you might find you are under contract for more than 3 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts