Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Black iphone will be released on July 30. There is a delay with the White as they are having troubles with the white staying white and not fading to a yellow like the previous models have.

·
Registered
763 Posts
i've seen several white iPhone 3G and 3GSes, and none of them ever looked anything other than the original white.

Anyway for the iPhone 4 its glass thats painted white and not white plastic like previous models.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry that is what I had read on another site, if I remember what site I will post, but I am just transferring the speculations for the delay

·
Registered
763 Posts
Ohh. I know what you're referring to. There was rumors regarding proper colouring of the glass as they didn't get the exact shade they wanted.

Saw some other rumor today regarding possible light leakage from display thats causing the holdup..

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I just walked by the local Rogers store. They have a sign (2 actually) in the window stating that they'll be open an hour early on Friday for iPhone 4 sales.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you buy it from any provider it will be locked, if you decide to purchase it from the Apple store or Apple website it will be unlocked. The question is will it be worth the $650 or $750 just for the phone?

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you buy it from any provider it will be locked, if you decide to purchase it from the Apple store or Apple website it will be unlocked. The question is will it be worth the $650 or $750 just for the phone?
Exactly. $159/269 from rogers, possibly 659/779 from apple. could be $565 difference including 13% HST.

·
Registered
338 Posts
So the iPhone 4 from Rogers is cheaper than the iPhone 4 from AT&T for the time being. Is Telus/Bell offering the same price?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Nothing confirmed as of yet.

Also, you can't directly compare the price between Rogers & AT&T since AT&T only has 2-year contracts (vs. 3-years for Canadian carriers).

Edit: Just checked Bell's site, and they show the same $159/$269 pricing. Telus hasn't updated yet though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Fido has a link on their site that tells you if you are eligible for an upgrade discount on the iPhone 4 if you are an existing contract customer, and tells you how much you will have to pay. I am a year and a bit into my contract so I would be stuck paying $399 for the new phone. Still, $250 off of retail isn't bad considering I am only a year in.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just checked Bell's site, and they show the same $159/$269 pricing. Telus hasn't updated yet though
I would hope that all providers would be the same price. It wouldn't make sense for one to be at a higher price than the other as they would lose business. Being lower in price than what they are offering, they would start to lose money.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
^^^^
There's no reason why they should be charging the same price, except perhaps price fixings. A company can sell something at whatever they feel is the best price for bringing in business. So, one might have a lower price, in hopes of signing up more customers on long term contracts. Perhaps they hit customers with higher contract fees after nabbing them with lower up front costs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unlocked Cell Phone Discussion

When I first heard that Apple would be selling the iPhone 4 unlocked in Canada I was excited. After a little bit of research it occurred to me that carriers:

a) don't offer any discounts whether your phone is locked or unlocked
b) in most cases have special plan pricing for locked terms

So unless you are going to be travelling internationally, it may be worth your while to just buy the phone locked. Do you REALLY plan to use this phone 3 years from now? Or are you going to buy the iPhone 7GSX when it comes out.

I have 3 cell phones that I don't use anymore kicking around that are all less than 6 years old. Food for thought.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
^^^^
I use my cell phones for about 5 years. I also have 3 kicking around. The oldest is 15.5 years and the youngest about 5. My new phone, a Google Nexus One, is not available from any carrier in Canada. Also, to buy a smart phone from Rogers, I have to commit to a data plan for some period of time. At the moment, I haven't signed up with one, relying instead on Wifi. So, I'm still just paying for the same cell phone bill I've been paying for years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
@JamesK: WRT buying a smart phone from Rogers, you aren't required to commit to anything to buy the phone. To get the discounted pricing you are required to commit to contracts, $200 discount for the voice and $200 discount for the data. I believe the other carriers are the same...

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Perhaps, I should have said to buy a phone at a low price. To buy one without a plan it appears I'd still have to pay more than elsewhere. For example, the HTC Magic+, which appears to be the phone closest to my Nexus One, I'd have to pay $599, which is considerably more than I paid for the N1. And that would be for a locked phone, whereas mine is unlocked.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.