Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Apple have created a phone that has an antenna on the bottom left-hand side of the phone. This means that when you hold it in your left hand, the signal bars slowly fade until there is no signal," he wrote.

and

One video had an American user running a speed test, with hands on and hands free.
In it, the user 'awington' says that, while holding the phone "it won't even run the test when I am holding the phone... once I let go, it makes a connection and runs the test.
I guess everyone at Apple is right handed.

Interestingly, I am right handed but always hold it in my left hand.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Interestingly, I am right handed but always hold it in my left hand.
+1

Where was the antenna previously on the 3G/S?

·
Registered
748 Posts
In fact the antenna, or more accurately, antennae, run all the way around the phone. There are some deconstruction videos (on the Apple site I think I saw them) explaining this. Each antenna serves different purposes. Maybe it depends on which country you are in and who your carrier is which hand to hold it in. LOL

I chatter on other sites, there is speculation there is a software glitch in iOS4, since this antennae "problem" didn't seem to occur in v3.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Wouldn't it actually make sense for right-handed people to hold their phone with the left hand? That way if you had to write a note or anything, you'd be using your writing hand to do so. :)

Can't really see how this particular thing would be a software issue, as touching an antenna can easily cause variances in reception on any device. It's the fact the iPhone 4 has an antenna on the outside of the phone that makes this case different. Oh well, just means I'll use a carrying case with it if I happen to order one.

·
Registered
200 Posts
+2

I've never been a 1 handed iPhone user. I always hold it in my left hand and use my right hand to navigate.

I've tried holding it in my right hand and using my right thumb to get around, but I don't like it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jobs calls it a "non-issue."

"Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone," read an official Apple statement on Thursday.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I've loved every Apple device I've owned but this type of typical response from Apple/Jobs drives me crazy.

It's great that most of their stuff just works but they need to be better at reacting to things that don't do so well.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
If Apple isn't careful on this one it could bite them hard.

Soon people will be complaining about low signal strength for every reason and it could snowball.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Apple's response to this issue is a huge joke. Sure phones antunate signal depending on how you hold the phone, but this is clearly a design issue. They chose form over function, which is great for art but this is a smart phone.

iPhone 4 is at the bottom of my list for what will replace my iPhone 3G in the next few months. Motorola, please deliver.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After every new release we have some grumpy folks.

Does anyone have a sense, is this a real significant problem or a tempest in a teapot?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Take it for what it is, but Consumer Reports is saying they can't reproduce the problem.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Even the people at TWiT were able to reproduce the problem live on the very first shot. How could CR even make such an outlandish and inaccurate statement?

Maybe they're not holding it right. :p

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
just like all things new. we hear and see a tiny percentage of issues blow up on the internet. But at the end of the day its all good for the end users because it will get results with a firmware patch.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
With over 1.7 million iPhone 4s sold in 3 days (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) it's not surprising there would be some issue that spreads like wildfire about the new iPhone.

Much like most things tech-related, it's one reason I don't jump in right away. I'll let others discover the quirks and let the hype die down before evaluating a purchase.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Looks like we now have an idea as to what's going on, and the fact is it probably affects all iPhone 4s (yes, even those from people who claim they see 5 bars no matter what).

While reviewing the iPhone 4, a couple editors from Anandtech managed to get the device to report signal in dB, rather than the number of bars (despite Field Test mode being disabled in iOS 4). In doing so, they discovered that over 40% of possible signal levels are reported with 5 bars (-91dB to -51dB). They also discovered that the worst-case signal attenuation was 24dB.

They also indicate that other phones do suffer from attenuation, but not as bad as the iPhone 4. On a positive note, it does seem that the device is able to hold onto a weak signal better than the iPhone 3GS.

Anandtech Article (Page 2 where they talk about the issue).

Based on this, my guess is that Apple's claimed software update will simply change the scale that determines how many bars are shown. This will hide the issue for some people, but it definitely doesn't eliminate the fact that the issue exists.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
This is why you must NEVER trust the signal strength meter on ANY phone. There's simply no standard as to how they must report signal strength, giving all phone manufacturers the freedom to fudge the numbers any way they wish.

This doesn't mean the iPhone doesn't have a problem (it does). But it would have been nice if the phone manufacturers included a numeric signal strength meter so we could determine for certain how much signal strength we're really getting from our phones.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts