Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Like I posted a few posts back I seriously think it's because of our 36-month contracts plus Bell/Telus only getting it in the fall. So most Canadian's who want an iPhone already have one and most of them are far away from upgrade eligibility. The USA, UK, and Germany are in different situations and consumers there are more likely to adopt them sooner.

Apple will have their hands full with supply and support issues so if they can take one very small market off the table to begin with then that's one less thing for them to worry about.

As far as it being "too close the launch of the iPad" - well the iPad released on the same day as us for the UK and Germany and the other countries that are getting the iPhone on launch day.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yeah, thats true about the iPad. I don't think its because of 3 year contracts. If they're worried about people not being eligible, then what does one more month really make? Anyway, Rogers has had promotions for both iPhone launches before, including early upgrades.

It may simply come down to logistics and Apple has chosen a few countries from around the world for initial launch.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
So why would anyone buy the $99 last generation 3GS when for $100 more they could get the newest tech?

Considering you would be on a minimum $40/month plan for 36 months (assuming you don't buy outright), does $100 really make that much of a difference?

(p.s. my wife and i are each planning on getting one and going on Bell's share program)
I have to agree. Considering the amount of $$ spent each month on the plan, what's another $100 to get newer and (arguably, but IMO) a much better phone?

Regarding "getting used to" iPhone typing, I've been typing using my iTouch since the 1st gen was released (in fact I've just bought a 64GB iTouch back in April 2010 which I'm going to sell once I get my iPhone 4G). If I only use English (or any ONE language) then it's fine because if I mistype, the spell check will fix it for me.

However, I write in 3 different languages and some terms are not available in the other 2 languages so I have to mix the other language with English. This doesn't work at all for me.

Funny thing, however, my Motorola RAZR (original 1st gen RAZR) intelligent predictive text input works better than any of the iTouch spell-check system.

Regardless, iPhone 4G supposedly supports BT keyboard so when I'm home, I can use a BT keyboard for writing e-mail.

The question now, will 500 GB enough? (any input is appreciated). I mostly use my current Blackberry 9000 for e-mail and IM (MSN and Yahoo) and read digitalhome.ca, avsforum.com, howardforums.com, highdefdigest.com, engadget (HD, Classic and Mobile), and facebook. I'm 80% at home or at the office (so I use wifi connection) and at the most browse/IM/Emailing no more than 1 hour a day on average.

·
Registered
338 Posts
doh! I mean 500 MB. duh! duh! duh! doh!
Unless you stream a lot of internet radio or watch YouTube frequently on your smartphone, 500MB will be more than enough. You'll notice the iPhone uses more data then your blackberry even when using similar applications because BlackBerry data is compressed. 99% of Rogers customers use 300MB or less a month on average. Until I started streaming online radio for hours a day I would use less than 200MB a month and my iPhone is almost always in my hand.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
WetCardBoard, thank you for the info.

I guess if Rogers finally decided to roll out the $15 250MB plan, I'll take that with my iPhone. I never watch any video (even at home) and I only frequent forums and news sites.

·
Registered
53 Posts
David, I haven't heard anything about a $15/250 MB plan for the new (or old) iPhone. Perhaps you're mixing iPhone and iPad?

That just gave me an idea! What would stop an iPhone user on a "Pay 'n Talk" account from buying an iPad data plan and swapping the SIM card, etc? Could that actually work?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does anyone know if Rogers will be offering a non-contract price? My work pays for my cell plan so I'd like a phone sans contract, even at ~$700. How long after the 3GS launch did it take for Rogers to offer a non-contract (but still locked to Rogers) price? Or was it right at launch perhaps?

Tom

·
Registered
206 Posts
Does anyone know if Rogers will be offering a non-contract price? My work pays for my cell plan so I'd like a phone sans contract, even at ~$700. How long after the 3GS launch did it take for Rogers to offer a non-contract (but still locked to Rogers) price? Or was it right at launch perhaps?
Rogers may be, but Apple definitely is. No pricing has been announced, but if you go to apple.ca/store, you can see that they will be selling the phone unlocked.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Apparently not. Even Apple's own FAQ indicates the micro SIMs of the iPad and the new iPhone are not interchangeable.
They are interchangeable, since they are physically the same, but the microSIM from the iPad obviously has no voice plan subscribed to it, therefore you can't use it on the iPhone for cellular voice calls. As for the other way round - I don't know, it should probably be possible (you won't be able to make cellular voice calss with the iPad, of course). Anyway, we'll find out soon.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Maybe not. It is possible to trim down a standard size SIM to micro SIM dimensions. You just have to be very, very careful. http://www.9to5mac.com/micro-som-iphone-iPad-conversion-365465756

As for swapping micro SIMs between an iPad and an iPhone 4G, I'll check it out. It's not impossible for that particular issue to be more than a simple account issue.

EDIT: We may have to wait until someone with a 3G iPad actually tries their micro SIM in an iPhone 4 and vice-versa. The information that's currently out there is highly inconsistent.

From Apple's FAQ:

Are iPhone 4 and iPad micro-SIM cards interchangeable?

No. Your iPad micro-SIM card will not work with your iPhone.
But technically, it's the exact same card with the exact same circuitry. So who knows how the thing will behave.

·
Registered
763 Posts
iPhone 4 confirmed to have 512MB RAM

Many people may not really care about a spec like that, but there's been curiosity regarding specs like the cpu speed and amount of RAM. Confirmed now though that it does have 512MB, double the RAM of the 3GS and iPad (256MB).

41 - 60 of 78 Posts