Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
This may be a stupid question... but is it worth for me switching to iPhone? I'm currently a Blackberry user and getting more and more tired with the slowness of its browsing (in)capability. In beginning it was tolerable, but now it's feels like poking my eye with a dull stick.

On the other hand, typing on the iPhone (I own 3 generations of iTouch) is also driving me batty.

What to do... what to do....

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Typing on the iPhone is not a huge joy. I often hit the wrong keys and I don't have huge fingers. Teh only saving grace is I don't do a lot of typing on the iPhone.

Having said that, I love my iPhone and highly recommend it everyone.

To date, my biggest complaint about the iPhone was battery life but Apple seems to have improved that significantly this time around so now I am sad that I have to wait two years before my contract is up!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Screen size is still the same!

Not sure why you guys are thinking the screen is smaller? Still the same 3.5"

I have to say, there is a learning curve, but I love typing on the iPhone. I can fly while typing actually. I could definitely understand if someone doesn't enjoy it though.

One good thing too, although the screen is 3.5", smaller than a lot of new HTC's at 3.7 or new Sony Ericsson at 4.0, the aspect ratio keeps the iPhone screen just as wide or wider, making typing very good in portrait mode.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I was really hoping it would be 4G capable to take advantage of Rogers slowly growing 4G network.
Rogers doesn't have a 4G network - HSPA+ is still 3G. LTE would be considered a 4G network, but AFAIK, no provider up here has that (and given that AT&T hasn't rolled it out either, a 4G iPhone isn't in the cards yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was hoping that the iPhone 4 would have HSPA+ (21 Mbps) but it's not that big of a deal. LTE is probably a year away at least. I don't think Verizon's getting the iPhone until they roll out LTE and Apple can get LTE chipsets.

I was really hoping to get it in a week or two though, so am pretty disappointed that Canada has to wait for round two. Might be 6 weeks away. I'll just have to suffer with my 3G, and crippled iOS 4.

Now I only hope that Rogers will allow those of us 2 years into our 3 year sentence to do an early upgrade, like they did last year. Glad I didn't bite on the 3GS at the time.

It still sucks that all the Canadian contracts are 3 years vs. 2 in the USA.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Many people who rushed to buy their 3G iphone on Canada's release date was July 11, 2008. So, that marks a 2 year anniversary next month. As far as I know, Rogers allows you to upgrade a smartphone after 2 years of a 3 year contract. Personally, I don't care much about the contract since I have a good retention plan, but the fact that I can upgrade regularly is more important.

Perhaps the cause for the delay in this country is that June 24th is a Holiday in Quebec and they didn't want to upset them since many stores would be closed over there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Of course they'd delay it - because I am finally getting one :p I was waiting for Virgin to finally get the iPhone .. and that happened, but since that didn't happen til February, and I was gone for 6 weeks afterwards, I decided I might as well wait a few more months for the new iPhone. (I admit - the gizmodo leak also swayed my decision) Hopefully we have an official announcement soon of when the new one is being released in Canada.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hope Rogers has the upgrade like they did last year where if you got the 3G in 08' you could still upgrade to the 3GS in 09', I am really hoping they make this exception to their normal smartphone upgrade policy again.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So why would anyone buy the $99 last generation 3GS when for $100 more they could get the newest tech?

Considering you would be on a minimum $40/month plan for 36 months (assuming you don't buy outright), does $100 really make that much of a difference?

(p.s. my wife and i are each planning on getting one and going on Bell's share program)

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
A $100 difference is still a $100 difference (in this case, it's double the price). There are quite a few people who don't look at the overall cost over a 3-year contract and will simply go with the cheapest option no matter what.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The logic of going for the cheaper one makes no sense to me also lol Both my bro and sis-in-law have the 8GB 3G ... and one of those they only got this year. I'd much rather spend the extra $100 for the current gen. In the case of the iPhone 4 I might even spring for the 32GB one. (although, I'm doing fine right now with space on a 16GB iPod touch)

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Take note, the more technically knowledgeable people will know (and appreciate) the difference - but we are hardly in the majority when it comes to purchasing these things. An average person may not care about FaceTime or a better display, for example.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
More on FaceTime

I noticed while watching the Keynote speech today that FaceTime isn't just for regular old phone calls...SIP is also supported. No doubt next-gen iPads will have forward facing cameras and will become really great communication appliances. I can really see an open source project like this truly making communications "path" agnostic.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Rogers doesn't have a 4G network - HSPA+ is still 3G. LTE would be considered a 4G network, but AFAIK, no provider up here has that (and given that AT&T hasn't rolled it out either, a 4G iPhone isn't in the cards yet.
Bell is suppost to have the underlying hardware for LTE. They put in thier new HSPA network with future proofing - so I was told.

Cheers

·
Registered
338 Posts
I didn't read all the posts in this thread but what is the underlying issue of releasing the phone a month later in Canada? Some people say Canada isnt on Apples priority list but does it have anything to do with Sasktel and MTS not ready to launch their HSPA networks until late July? Which would mean no one in Canada can launch the device earlier than anyone else...or no one would pay Apple extra to have exclusivity for a month.

A couple concerns I have with the phone:

-Aspect Ratio of the screen is still the same (1.5:1), so the "HD" videos you shoot (720p) are going to be in this aspect ratio? Or will they be recorded in a standard HD aspect ratio (1.78:1).

-Network specs aren't up on the Apple website, but I'm assuming this phone is only 3.5G (7.2Mbps, same as the 3GS)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
763 Posts
No one really knows exactly why Canada isn't included on the initial list. I did hear one good guess being that maybe Apple didn't want to release it so close to the launch of the iPad. only Apple knows why I guess..

I would think that the aspect ratio of the iPhone wont really change for a long time, its one of the key things for apps to stay proper looking, and for me, evern more importantly is the screen is wider in portrait mode compared to some of the larger android screen phones and definitely helps when typing! I'm not sure however what aspect ratio HD videos will record in, but i'd assume its going to be 16:9.

For its cellular connection it is still 7.2mbps (like you mentioned) for the downlink and 5.8mbps for the uplink.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts