Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an IPad that I have music files on.
I want to put those music files onto my IPod.
Is there an easy way to transfer the files via cable directly from IPad to IPod, or am I going to have to plug the Ipad into the desktop computer, download onto that, then do the transfer?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
From my experience, you'll need iTunes.

For purchased content, use iTunes to MOVE the content from the iPad to the iTunes library.

Then that content can then be MOVED to the iPod. (I'm assuming the iPod does NOT have internet connectivity).

For stuff you've ripped yourself from your own collection, make sure it's in the iTunes library, turn OFF automatic SYNC, and manually mange (drag & drop) the content to the iPod. This allows you to have that content on both devices. Note that the way iTunes works, content you've ripped yourself can NOT be moved from an existing device and placed on another. You'll need to re-rip it into the iTunes library if it got deleted from the library.

If the iPod is a Touch with internet capability, having all your content in the iTunes library and streaming it to your devices might be a better option. Others, who have gone this route can advise you any tricks and tips doing this. Since two of my iPods do not have internet, the above procedures are the ones I've used.

Cameron

·
Registered
626 Posts
You cannot move your music from an iPad to an iPod directly. You will need a computer with iTunes installed.

The exception to this is if you have an iPod Touch and purchased the music from iTunes, in which case you can just download it from the iTunes Music Store directly to your iPod or, if you have an iTunes Match subscription, in which case, again, you will be able to download from the iTunes Music Store.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
you need a pc to do it

you can do it without itunes, but you need something else (media monkey for instance)

it's a big reason why we've gotten away from apple devices. just too many silly limitations

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Wondershare

Look up the "Wondershare" pc app. I've used it quite succesfully for audio file transfers in ways that iTunes does not permit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts