Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want an iPad. My son would like an iPad. I want to be able to get the digital edition of our local newspaper, I want it as a book reader, and I want it for many cool apps. My son wants it for MLB.com, for all the cool games, and more. My wife would like to use the iPad as an eBook reader when she's at home. She likes her Kobo reader for its small size when travelling but at home, she'd like something with a bigger screen and faster page turning.

Last night, my son and I went to the Apple Store at Sherway Gardens. My goal was to pull the trigger on a new iPad, but ultimately I could not do it.

I knew the prices going in but I had rationalized that I didn't need the top of the line iPad. At a base price of $549, it seems like a deal.

I figured I'd save $360 over three years by buying a digital version of my favourite newspaper and longer term, the family would have the second ebook reader. Add it up and the iPad seemed like an okay deal.

But the truth is you really need more than 16GB. I have 32GB for my iPhone so I really need 64GB for the iPad. Wow, a $200 premium for 64GB of storage. If I go on vacation, I would want a one month data plan so a 3G version is probably the one I really need. Add $130.

Guess, I need a stand, maybe a keyboard for at home, and possibly a folio for keeping it all protected. Add $150.

To get out of the Apple store last night would have cost me $1157 (after taxes). All my rationalizations for buying an iPad kind of dwindled when I realized that new device was going to cost me four figures.

As we left the shopping mall and headed home, my son and I decided we're going to wait until Christmas to see if prices come down and, how knows, maybe version 2 will be even better.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
I understand in some ways where you are coming from on the prices front. You said you knew the prices going in but did your needs and assessment of them change as you opened the door? I am not trying to be trite. Personally I do not see the need for the 3g version and I came to that conclusion before I stepped foot in the futureshop to browse and use one. With my iPhone I can access the data I need to on vacation with that plan. Smaller screen but oh well as to me a vacation should be untethered from work and email (sometimes).

There are places to get cheaper cases, stands and accessories than the Apple branded ones. I bought the cheapest slip cover case I could find with the knowledge that I would upgrade to something better down the road. As for a stand most cases turn into a stand anyways and if i want to use my iPad as a digital frame I picked up a $1.00 frame stand at the dollarstore to use.

The apple keyboard is over priced as with most things so a little bit of shopping aorund could probably save you money on that item. I also believe one is not needed upon first purchase as the onscreen keyboard is quite easy to use.

I find myself using the iPad for more and more things as time passes with it. As for a price drop before Christmas? At the rate they are selling now at this price point why would apple cut it? Version 2? Not in the distant future. Just my opinion.

Everyone has their own reasons for wanting or not wanting one. Personally I kind of think you were not going to buy one even as you walked in the store. I find myself very happy with the base 16gb version non 3G.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Just some notes from a 16gb WiFi only iPad owner.

The only items that use large amounts of memory are music & movies. Books and apps are pretty small.

iTunes has an iPad option to recompress your music to 128kbps

A typical movie DVD compressed with Handbrake ~1G to 1.3G (no DD5.1)
note: as beautiful as the iPad screen is the resolution is low, use the new iPad Handbrake preset to squeeze those movies down.
Entertainment for a long trip: Angry Birds

Get MyWi (3G hotspot) for your iPhone $20, it's now 4.0 compatible of course you'll have to jailbreak.

If you pack a notebook just put your media on its HD and sync whenever you want more movies.

There are some excellent WiFi transfer programs like Air Sharing Pro or Dropbox.

You can rent movies on the iPad just like the AppleTV (just don't do it via 3G)

iBooks is great for eBooks but PDFs are meh compared the the must have GoodReader app (an excellent PDF offline viewer)

There is a camera connection kit for the iPad $35 but they are currently very rare. This consists of two dongles, one an SDHC reader the other a USB port. I can't really comment as I don't have one but this might be an option (probably a jailbroken one) to extend your storage for music & music via a USB HD or SDHC card.

PS check out appadvice.com they have an iPhone / iPad app $2 I use everyday.
Just my 2c

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You said you knew the prices going in but did your needs and assessment of them change as you opened the door?
Yes, my assessment did change.

Going in, we felt the base model could work for us. Our family has two iPod touches and an iPhone with lots of apps, music and movies.

After talking to the Apple rep, we realized we were a bit in denial and that 32 and likely 64GB was "right size."

Going in, I felt I could live without 3G, maybe jailbreak my iphone etc. but once again, we re-assessed after talking to the Apple rep and realized that if we were going to hang on to the device for 3 to 4 years, the 3G capability was worth an extra $130.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
I think the problem you had was with speaking to an Apple rep. In my opinion every salesman worth anything will try and up-sell you to a more expensive product.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blueroomelectro, I debated jailbreaking but ultimately I don't want the hassle of dealing with another device to fix in the house. Part of the reason of spending on Apple is the convenience so who want's the hassle.

More importantly, jailbreaking doesn't help me if we go on vacation. We will likely go on vacation to the U.S. four or five times in the next few years. When I go, my Rogers plan won't help so I will likely get an AT&T monthly plan so really I need the 3G.

I'm not complaining about the iPad. I want one. The point is the final total was significantly higher than my comfort zone.

Kind of like seeing a car advertised from $29,999 and then finding out that after all the options and taxes, you're paying closer to $45,000.

iPad is kind of like that. $549 but then you have to add all the options. I think everyone has a price point they want to hit. My comfort zone was about $800 so I experienced sticker shock when it hit $1,150.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Curious. Roughly, how much would it cost per year to "operate" your iPad in the manner you require (operating cost only)? This may make the additional few hundred $ pale in comparison, especially if you're looking at say 3 years?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FWIW, I am NOT bashing Apple and I have not soured on the iPad.

I'm relaying a personal anecdote. I'm sure we've all had sticker shock at some point in our life. You go out to buy a product and suddenly when you add up all the desirable options, accessories etc, you decide that your budget has been exceeded.

I guess as mom use to say, I want to drink champagne but I've only got a beer budget!

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
I understand what you mean. I have had sticker shock in the past but now I go in with a very narrow approach to my shopping. I know what I want and understand that I can build upon my purchase as my finances allow. I think the need for 3G that you came to in the store really put an iPad out of your comfort range. I went in with no desire or need for 3G having an iPhone to fall back upon when needed.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
When I make significant purchases, I look for ways to justify them. My need for 3G came primarily for travel. I want to take the iPad on vacation as my internet portal. I would feel cut off if I couldn't access the web. When you stack up $130 against the cost of a single vacation (airline tickets, car rental, hotel, meals, tours, etc.) it is really a drop in the bucket.

So I figure that the $130 for 3G is really part of my vacation budget, not my electronics budget. In this context, I think the money is well spent.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
you are creeping past the price of a macbook..

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know what I want and understand that I can build upon my purchase as my finances allow.
I guess its a purchasing style. I always have a budget but I try to avoid being deterministic.

My wife and I have had kitchens redone, bathrooms rebuilt, bought cars and many other pieces of consumer electronics.

I try to best describe my needs and wants but then I fine tune after discussions with individuals and many times the salesperson or the contractor.

My bathroom renovation was 60% higher than budget and I am very pleased and don't begrudge the extra money. My kitchen renovation came in 15% lower because as I went along I removed some requirements. When I bought my minivan, I picked the van before we settled on the options package.

When I buy a computer (which is a necessity) I analyze every option and price thoroughly before buying but I still talk to my local manager and he ends up tweaking by list because of some first hand knowledge. I welcome his advice. Sometimes it costs me a bit more and sometimes a bit less.

Purchasing the iPad is different too because, for me, it's a "luxury item" or at least a "discretionary item." I don't NEED it, I want it. The purchase decision is more fluid and emotional as opposed to a computer or lawn mower where everything is factual.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Yes we all have differing purchasing styles. To compare the purchase of the iPad to a home renovation is a bit of a strecth though in my opinion. Reno's are long long lasting and budget's for those large type jobs especially a bathroom or kitchen need to have "wiggle" or "wife" room since these are major purchases. A contractor may suggest enhancements or differing materials that either increase or decrease (rarely) the over all budget. For the iPad I wanted the device in my hands at the lowest possible price point knowing that in the future I could upgrade if the need presented itself. For me the upgrade would mean passing off the current iPad I own to another family member such as my wife and moving to version 2 if it appeals to me more. To say version 2 will be out in the next 365 days to me is a stretch. I think they will keep this revision til sales demand a new "magical" device.

I am not knocking your decision in the least just giving you my side purchasing decision when I went to get the iPad. I didn't want to miss out on the ebook functions and the ability to use it for 95% of the things I have to do on my MBP or iPhone without having to boot my laptop or stare at a small screen.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Since you want two iPads and you don't want to jailbreak your iPhone you might want to consider a portable 3G hotspot. Rogers / Bell sold (Novatel MiFi 2372) one but pulled it because of battery problems.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blueroom, trust me, I know all about the MiFi etc. ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hugh:

Shouldn't Digital Home be getting into the product review business? That would get you the iPad without any of the sticker shock.

I do know what you mean though. I went in to find a 16gb wifi only and ended up convincing myself I needed the larger memory. When the number you have in your head doubles in the store, it can make one take a step back.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
strange how in this day and age of extremely cheap memory and hard drives. That you have to pay 100$ for 16GB extra or 200$ for 48GB!! I guess Apple can get away with this because soo many are willing to pay for it.. Guess its a sign of great product. If a PC was charging that kind of doh we would flip!

That extra money for the 16GB equates to 6.25$/GB. Where a 500GB hard drive is going in the range of 0.14$/GB

That said, i played with one at FS today... drooooooooool so nice

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hugh

For a long time I had been been wanting a portable device for around the home that would enable quick and easy access to the Internet and be able to read ebooks, magazines and newspapers. I passed on the eBook only devices but wanted to try the iPad when it was announced for Canada. By the time it was available here, I had read many reviews of the iPad based on the US experience. I was uncertain whether to go for a 3G version but didn't see it being of that much use as I am mostly around my apartment and don't spend that much time away and needing Internet access. If I really get into reading newspaper, books and magazines on the iPad I can download them at home and read away without any problem except for the battery. I therefore decided to pass on the + 3G versions.

When I got to the store they only had 16 and 32 GB WiFi and 64 GB WiFi + 3G versions in stock so I got the 32 GB WiFi version.

I just did a check today and the ~29GB storage space available is allocated as follows:
Audio 11 GB approximately 100 CDs
Video 1.5 GB for "One Alice in Wonderland" digital video copy from the Blu-ray release
Apps 477 MB with 15 apps now downloaded
Books 77 GB currently 2 iBooks and 15 AV PDF manuals
Other 385 MB Not sure what this exactly.
Free 15 GB

I also have 3 Audio Video PDF Manuals loaded under GoodReader

My feeling is I could keep 10 GB each for music and videos and leave about 9GB for the rest. That is 100 CDs and 6 movies at 1.5 GB each. Unless you load apps that have many GB of storage requirements associated with them, the 32 GB + 3G may not be too bad. The 16 GB version would have made me start to remove quite a bit of stuff already. Certainly the eBooks and Manuals I will be loading don't seem to be taking that much space. The largest AV PDF manual is 23 MB with most of them being below 5 MB. Mind you I am the only user and multiple users could be problem with each one want their own 20 GB storage for their choices of video and music.

My sympathies. Based on my experience, I would think any iPad(s) you get would be in high demand.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I too want the iPad but sticker shock and an expected version 2 next year with certain missing features included are holding me back.

I am too used to being always connected with the iPhone to want to purchase a new portable device that lacks this always on feature. For me, a computer is boring without an internet connection.

An iPad can be hard to justify when you start adding up the cost for storage, 3G and data plans. A good laptop, may not be as portable, but can be tethered and has all the features of a full fledged computer.

This post isn't meant as a bash of the iPad because I truly do want one. I just wish Apple had made it easier for me to justify to myself and my wife (the harder sell).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts