Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apple today announced that it sold its three millionth iPad yesterday, just 80 days after its introduction in the US.

• First million took 28 days
  • Second Million by 60 days
  • Three million in 80 days

Pretty amazing numbers.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The twenty day short gap between the second and the third million is a bit misleading. That's about the time the iPad went on sale worldwide. The sudden boost isn't all that surprising.

So any guesses when they'll hit the four million mark?

I do have to admit. That's a heck of a lot of iPads!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The twenty day short gap between the second and the third million is a bit misleading. That's about the time the iPad went on sale worldwide. The sudden boost isn't all that surprising.
You are mistaken. The 2 million mark came several days AFTER it went on sale worldwide so the two million mark included all the first weekend international sales.

The fact that the next million took 20 days (eight days less than the first million) is amazing

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
And don't forget that the iPad has been hard to find - I tried to buy a wifi only in SanFran the day that they started selling the 3G+wifi model in the US and they didn't have any. I think the current constraint is in the supply rather than the demand - the Apple Store gives you a 7-10 day shipping window so they currently cannot keep up with demand.

And it launches in several more countries in July. I wonder how many they will have sold by Dec 31 - 10 million?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The product shortage is understandable. After all, how does one predict in advance the sale of THREE MILLION UNITS of a single product in less than three months? And of a category (i.e. tablet) that has already failed miserably time and time again no less!

Apple better hope there isn't a product recall with the batteries! That would be a lot of iPads to fix! :p

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
That estimate seems low, Larry. The trend is accelerating and even if it remained steady at 1 million per month, they would have more than 20 million sold by Jan. 1 2012. The fact that they are ramping up production, launching in more countries and getting word of mouth advertising and more exposure to the product through demos would point to much higher sales.

I would guess 10 million by the end of this year, and between 25 to 30 million by the end of 2011.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts