Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Good story this morning. Debunked this afternoon.

In all, nearly two dozen news outlets went with the report, issued by Strategy Analytics, that on the strength of 2 million Samsung Galaxy Tabs, tablets running Google's (GOOG) Android had captured 22% of the tablet market last quarter, reducing Apple's market share to 75% from 95% in less than six weeks.

But then an analyst thought to ask Samsung VP Lee Young-hee whether those 2 million Tabs were shipped to retailers or sold to customers -- or to use her jargon, "sell out" or "sell in."

The answer, posted below in full as reported by the Wall Street Journal, was that Samsung had merely shipped them. Actual sales to paying customers, Lee admitted, were "quite small."

"Well, your question was on sell-in and sell-out," Lee replied. "As you heard, our sell-in was quite aggressive and this first quarterly result was quite, you know, fourth-quarter unit [figure] was around two million. Then, in terms of sell-out, we also believe it was quite small. We believe, as the introduction of new device, it was required to have consumers invest in the device. So therefore, even though sell-out wasn't as fast as we expected, we still believe sell-out was quite OK."

She added Samsung was "quite optimistic" about 2011 sales but wouldn't provide a forecast. "As you know, the tablet is relatively new and we need to see how the market develops before we give any firm numbers," Ms. Lee said.

According to Apple's fiscal Q1 2011 quarterly report, it sold 7.3 million iPads in roughly the same time period and was left with 525,000 more iPads in inventory than last quarter.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Yeah - when the story first broke late 2010 that a million Galaxy Tabs had been "sold" in the first three weeks or whatever it was, I had trouble believing that end-users were picking up something that expensive so quickly. If it had been the same thing at $300, then I could see big sales numbers. But at a price comparable to the iPad 3G.....I don't think so.
The "quite small" figure seems far more realistic.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
And with a 15% return rate (compared to 2% for the iPad). I don't think the iPad will see any real competition in the consumer space until Android 3.0 tablets come out and in the business space until RIM's Playbook arrives.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Fascinating. I was shocked at the Samsung sales number when it was released and wondered who was buying.

I typically carry my iPad with me when I go out to my son's hockey game. People see me watching TV shows on it and always talk to me. The result is that people tell me that they are thinking of buying an iPad or that they know 15 people with them and so on.

Over the months, I have only met ONE person with a Tab. It was a kid whose Dad worked for Samsung. The kid really liked his Tab but you could tell that he has some serious iPad envy ;)

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If tablets are what people really want, you'll see sales of competing products rise sharply as well. Personally I don't think that's going to happen. The iPad just happens to be the current trendy product with more style than substance, like most apple products.

-Mike

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's like the netbook. One company(Asus) made them popular and the rest had to play catch-up.

If tablets are here to stay then you're looking at the very early life cycle of this type of device.

Sale figures for the Xoom should be interesting.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Mike, absolutely. Will iPad keep its 90% marketshare? No way.

The bigger the market becomes the more likely their share will drop especially since Apple is focused more on profits than marketshare.

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Note that it seems that Ms. Lee said "Then, in terms of sell-out, we also believe it was quite smooth" instead of "quite small". I have no idea what "quite smooth" means in terms of units sold to customers.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I typically carry my iPad with me when I go out to my son's hockey game. People see me watching TV shows on it and always talk to me. The result is that people tell me that they are thinking of buying an iPad or that they know 15 people with them and so on.
Another anecdotal story...I just returned from a snowmobile trip in northern Quebec. 11 of us in a mountain lodge for a few days, and seven of us brought iPads. Would have been eight, but one wife wasn't willing to part with it.

We were all rather shocked when we realized it, and we all had similar stories to tell...nobody opens their notebook anymore unless it's for work.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in the opposite boat, I rarely see people out in public with Ipads. I'm on the GO train daily and the amount of electronics being used is shocking.

Perhaps twice a month I will see somebody with a Ipad. The other day I was next to a guy reading a book on the Ipad, the glare on the thing had me thinking of the Kindle commercial.

I had my Kindle and felt very happy with it.

On that note, the amount of ebooks I'm seeing is growing month over month. Wide variety of makes and models.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
For the last 4-5 months whenever I travel on Air Canada I would say that 50%+ of the passengers in Biz class have an iPad, including me.

And I occasionally take the GO train and use my iPad all the time, I take the Lakeshore East line. I have a Kindle 2 but I have hardly touched it since I got my iPad in April even though it is better for reading.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Wayne, +1 to that. The J cabin ( or F cabin on a Star Alliance codeshare) is full of iPads. I've only ever seen one Kindle in the last year in the front cabin, and that was a few weeks ago on a MEXYYZ run. A totally different market demographic than GO Transit, mind you.

James99, agreed on the glare; its brutal. Sometimes i cant control the window shade, and my iPad is practically useless.

I'm typing this from the transborder MLL in YYZ, and there's a good number around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts