Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Mothers' day sounds like a perfect opportunity to get an iPad 2 for her, and family use.... I currently have a 16 month old iPhone 3gs 32gb, and my daughter has a Touch 8gb for her 1st apple device.

My wife isn't big into music, and she has a red nano (2007). Probably rotate a few movies onto it, email, surf, would be most of the stuff she does on it.....

I'm thinking 32gb will be enough space for the next few years.....?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think she'll be fine with 32GB.

For my wife's iPad 1, I got her the 64GB version, thinking I would load it up with movies. However, she never used it to watch movies. For her iPad 2, I got her the 32GB version, which is more than enough for all our music.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
used iPad - any concerns

Well, looks like an iPad 2 is going to take a miracle to get before Mother's day.

Any thoughts on buying a used iPad 1? Might get a 32 or 64gb 3g one. I wouldn't use the 3g much, probably maybe 1-2 months of the year max, or when travelling in the states.

What's the expected lifespan of the iPad product? App life, Hardware life etc?

Used on Kijiji, 32/64gb ipad1's with 3g look to be going for $500-650 in my area.....

I've got my eye out for a 32gb ipad 2 with 3g, but with tax, the current price is going to be $850ish....

Peter

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just want to put forth the idea of making a little certificate that says an iPad has been ordered and will arrive soon. If you order one right now from Apple they are showing shipping in 1-2 weeks and that way you can get your first choice of model. Throw in some flowers and a card and I'm sure she'd be thrilled!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'd personally go with podgirl's suggestion.

If you do decide to go used, take it somewhere with a 2.4 and 5ghz wireless ap, verify that you can see both as I had an ipad which could only see 5ghz ap's until I had it swapped out.

Verify that it can see the cell service if it's a 3G, it should tell you that you don't have a current wireless data plan if it's disabled. If they don't have a sim in it make them put the sim in to make sure there aren't issues.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I
If you do decide to go used, take it somewhere with a 2.4 and 5ghz wireless ap, verify that you can see both as I had an ipad which could only see 5ghz ap's until I had it swapped out.

Verify that it can see the cell service if it's a 3G, it should tell you that you don't have a current wireless data plan if it's disabled. If they don't have a sim in it make them put the sim in to make sure there aren't issues.
hmmm....

you had problems with the wifi on your ipad? is 5ghz N, 2.4ghz 802.11b/g?

·
Registered
216 Posts
When I first got it it would sporadically connect to 2.4 ghz wifi points, but never well.
My guess is that internally an antenna wasn't properly hooked up.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok. will look into it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mother's day came and went. Couldn't get a hold of an iPad2.

The kids and I spelled iPaD2 with the little toddler wooden blocks. I taped them together, and then the kids hid it on Sunday morning....

She's happy at the iPad2 idea, (asked her if she would consider a cheaper, used iPad1, but thought the iPad2 was better).... so we'll go with the iPad2.

Looking for a 32gb- 3g model.

Found out why stock is so hard to get. Looked on kijiji. There are at least 4 ads for ipad2, BNIB on my local kijiji. One guy has 4 different models for sale.... Markup isn't bad ($50 on the 32gb/3g), but I'd prefer to get one from an authorized retailer if buying NEW. Also, my Mastercard doubles the retail warranty.

P

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got one Finally.

It took over a week of checking the local FS's and BB's (there's 4 within 40 km of us) to finally get an iPad. I almost bought a 64gb 3g one on Tuesday, but the woman ahead of us got it. I was starting to contemplate driving 80+km to the outer GTA to get one.

Yesterday, lucked out and got my wife's 1st choice (white), and with 32gb 3g (my choice). FShop at Sunrise in Kitchener apparently got 6 in the morning.... happened to refresh their webpage that was in my FF cache, and it showed it instock. I called my mom who lives about 5 minutes away from that shopping center, and she was able to pick one up for me. I work about 40km and 40minutes away from a FS.

I happened by there at noon, and got the 2nd last one, and put it on my credit card. My credit card doubles the store warranty on items purchased. My mom is going to return the ipad2.

My wife likes her new ipad2.... so do the kids, and so do I.... win-win-win situation.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
iPad2 -3g -personal hotspot....

My understanding is with iOS 4.3, this should give my iPad2 the capability to act as a router and share my 3g with 1 or more computers over wifi.....

I can't find any links to back up my understanding.......

(Might buy a 30day 3g connection on iPad this summer, if I burn through the 6gb that comes with my iPhone3gs at the cottage)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Petee_C, please search as its been discussed. Short answer is Yes th 3G version has that capability.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Grimjack, that's not what he is asking.

If Quicksilver is correct (and I'm certain he is) then iOS 4.3 hotspot capabilities only work on the iPhone and not iPad.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately, my searching over the past couple days indicates that using the iPad(2) 3g as the 'modem/router/mobile hub' is at this point just a figment of my imagination...... too bad.

My iPhone 3gs can do it, and I've been 'tethering' with telus before - as early as last fall(?)... Now, I guess I am hotspotting.... Indeed hotspot with the iPhone 3gs as the modem does work with the iPad receiving the internet.

Offtopic, the iOS 4.3 release mentions 5 connections with the iPhone4, but doesn't say the number of connections with the iPhone 3GS. Wondering if I can do 1 USB, and up to 3 blue tooth simultaneously. We will have the iPhone/iPad/laptop up with us at the cottage, with I guess the iPhone plan the main source of internet....

P

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I've done several BT connections at once with my 3GS. I just tested a USB and BT seems to work and counts as 2 connections. My guess (and its a guess) is you could get 1 usb and 3BT and it would count as 4.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts