Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks. All Galaxy Nexus' are unlocked. Looked at the T-Mobile site. They say "No annual contract - No credit check" monthly 4G plans. Guess I can just walk in and buy a SIM + $30 credit using any Canadian credit card.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You won't be able to use the iPad plan, which is the one this thread discusses. It requires an iPad as far as I know.

You could try it I suppose.

The standard GoPhone plans intended for voice have data as well, but it's quite pricey - I believe $20-ish for 200 MB.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The new Ipad (with LTE) seems to have different method of activating.

Does anyone know if I can still get an AT&T micro-sim to work with it as described in this thread?

I just purchsed a new 32GB LTE with a Rogers sim but I haven't activated it. I see that they've made the activation more difficult (can't do it online).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey All,

Just thought I'd add to this forum.

Just travelled to the states last week with my new iPad 4G.

I went to a real AT&T store - they gave me a micro sim and installed it for free. I wasn't able to activate it - because AT&T doesn't let you use Canadian Visa - the sales guy told me to just go buy a prepaid Visa then activate it.

So I went to a Walgreens - got a Prepaid Visa. Went online and added a Zip Code to the Prepaid Visa (The Visa card gave instructions on how to do this) then on the iPad (while connected to WiFi) I was able to activate and get the $30/3GB data plan :)

I used about 600MB in 7 days. With iMessaging being available I was able to Text Message everyone at home. For once - I used no data or texting on my iPhone while in the states :) Well worth the $30 for a data plan (and the extra cost for a cellular iPad)

I cancelled the plan before returning to Canada.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought the data plan right on the iPad itself - in Settings -> Cellullar Data -> View Account (just have to be connected to WiFi to access)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I appreciate all the advice on this topic. We are driving to california at the end of july. Been disappointed with Rogers USA plans. I would sign up here at home, go on vacation, then come home and find my bill to be outrageous! There was always something that snuck in somehow, errant email, weird text that Rogers would charge me an arm and a leg for.

Everytime I would go down to the US I would look over the Tracphones and other pay as you go services. This time I realize I have my old 3g Iphone laying around here so why couldn't I get that onto AT&T? Any suggestions on how I get my 3G phone onto an US provider? It was with Rogers, but not active for about 6 months. I also have my Ipad 2 which is what led me to this site.

thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. There's a thread on RedFlagDeals titled 'Prepaid US Cell Plans for Canadian travellers with Smartphones', but to summarize it for you, there's no magic bullet. A lot depends on your intended usage and where you're going to be since coverage is spotty for some vendors.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I went through that RFD thread that rosenqui is talking about a few days ago. Based on that I ordered a T-Mobile pay as you go sim card.

I intend to do the 3$ / day plan to see if I can get 4G in the area im going (Maine). If not, and only 2g is available, I will knock the plan down to the 2$ / day.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm going to do the same thing, but I'll probably wait until I'm in the US to get the SIM since I'm staying near a mall with a BestBuy, Target, Wal*Mart, etc., so I should be able to get a SIM there.

I'll just go with the $2/day plan since my phone is a Rogers Nexus S and won't do the T-Mobile high speeds anyway.

Sign up for a Google Voice account once you're in the US, then you'll be able to use it for calls and txts to Canada without having to pay the T-Mobile international charges.

·
Registered
322 Posts
US travel: T-mobile prepay in Galaxy Nexus & AT&T iPad data SIM in iPhone 4S

I'm in New York using a T-mobile prepaid SIM in my Galaxy Nexus, on the $3/day plan, with unlimited data an US calling. The first 200MB is 4G. To call back to Canada, I use the Talkatone app and signed up for a Google Voice account (need to sign up from a US IP address and have a US phone number to verify the account. The coverage is pretty good in Manhattan and OK in Orlando. I create a Wi-Fi hotspot to tether.

I also bought an AT&T iPad data SIM, and activated it with a gift Visa card, signing up for the $50 data plan for 50 GB. It doesn't support tethering. When going out, I put the SIM in my unlocked iPhone 4S. To make it work, I use the iPhone Configuration Utility to create an a configuration profile to set the APN to "broadband". Alternatively, you can change your APN by going to this site http://unlockit.co.nz/

Of course with the data SIM, the phone app doesn't work. I use the iOS version of the Talkatone app for calling. When I get backup Canada, I can remove the APN in the "Settings > General > Profiles" screen.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts