Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I haven't jumped on the tablet bandwagon yet (not counting my Tablet PC), and am definitely eyeing the iPad 2. Judging from a video that Engadget posted, it looks to be blazingly fast.

I'd probably even be content with the 16GB Wi-Fi only model.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Nice hardware upgrade, and thinner/lighter, but no retina display screen and no built-in USB or SD slots. May hold off some more and see what iPad3 will bring.
If you are holding out on an iPad for more slots or ports then you'll have a long wait. Apple will never add memory card slots and all ports will be fed through the dock connector using adapter cables.

If those things are important to you, you may as well look to competitor products.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I don't quite understand why the SD card slot is such a big deal for certain people. There's a camera connector to offload pics while on a trip. Otherwise, if storage is that important, get a 64 GB model and you should be able to get plenty of content off a computer. I have a 16 GB and I carry a dozen movies or TV shows, a few hundred songs and plenty of digital books and magazines to keep me busy for days.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Forgot to mention that I just got a $150 refund on the price of the original iPad I had bought at BB 10 days ago. That's $130 plus GST (Alberta) plus 10% of the difference. Final price of the 16 GB unit including tax ends up being $427.

I got them to price match the Canadian Apple Store website.

I was hoping for a price drop when I bought it and the plan worked perfectly. This is a fantastic price for such a great device.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I don't quite understand why the SD card slot is such a big deal for certain people.
They want to expand the usable capacity. Perhaps but the cheaper 16GB model and a 16GB SD card.

At the very least having to trail a dongle around for that would be inconvenient.

The same for USB really.

Apple, in their wisdom, said basically no, to make it easier for them, more secure for their users and themselves both in security of their OS and software/content sales, hardware accessory sales, and premium costs for higher capacty units.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Apple (Jobs, really) has stayed away from external storage mostly because once you do that, users are now confronted with a file system and a file manager. Their over-riding mandate has been to keep it simple for everyone by making the file system invisible to the end user.

I'm not at all a fan of this choice by them as I am frequently frustrated by Apple's insistence on "libraries" instead of "files", but I do see the reasons for their madness.

I don't expect to see external storage on an iPad as long as Jobs still has control over the project - my feeling from him is that this is as important to him as making products that look fabulous.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
And this makes it very awkward to get files onto the iPad as they make you jam everything through iTunes. That is one of my least favourite things about the device, along with the lack of cursor keys on the keyboard.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
For Apple apps maybe, but for everything else that's far from the case. I have a lot of different content on mine and it either comes wirelessly through Bonjour/web servers or via Dropbox.

·
Registered
332 Posts
And this makes it very awkward to get files onto the iPad as they make you jam everything through iTunes.
I thought this way before I got my iPad based on hearsay but within mintues of using iTunes and my favorite apps (CloudBrowser, VLC player), I quickly realized it is very easy to import my AVIs, PDFs and CBRs...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
iTunes is a dog. It is amazing that Apple, the firm so noted for ease of use and style, can produce such a crappy piece of software and not bother to fix it properly.

Now back to the iPad 2.

Our home needs a second tablet so I will likely buy the iPad 2 as soon as it comes out. I would consider an HP tablet and/or an 9.7" type WiFi Android tablet if they were available.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Posts removed.

This thread is about the iPad 2. Lets please stick to discussing the iPad 2.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Poste by james99
Editor's note: Chris Taylor is the San Francisco bureau chief for Mashable.com.
(CNN) -- It was a magical performance from a consummate performer, on that we can all agree.

also,

Just how bad is the iPad 2 camera?

Fact: Apple has sold 15 million tablets in less than a year.
Fact: The 2nd iteration of the iPad will hit stores before just about every other competing tablet.
Fact: Apple competitors are struggling with OS issues, quality and production and especially with meeting the $500 bar set by Apple.

Where are the other products? Yes, the camera on iPad 2 may not be very good. Well, it's currently a heck of a lot better than all the other phantom products out there. I have yet to see ANYONE walk around an airport, a mall or a restaurant with a tablet other than the iPad.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have an iPhone 3Gs (32gb). If I get an iPad2 with Wi-Fi only, is there a way to get internet from my 3G service on iPhone? I know personal hotspot is for the iPhone 4 only but is there a way to tether?

if so that iPad 2 is SO SOLD!

PS, ok I admit, if not it is still likely sold...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Rolando, the answer is no. You must have an iPhone 4.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Unless you're willing to jailbreak the phone and potentially void the warranty. But if you're not comfortable with that, your only options are to replace the phone or buy an iPad 2 with 3G and pay your carrier a monthly fee to share your data plan. Neither of which are particularly attractive options.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Actually Hugh posted in another thread that the 3GS has Hotspot with Bluetooth or USB and he was surfing with his iPad.

Bob

·
Registered
42 Posts
Okay I am buying one.

I tried the Android Craplet root. Unfortunately battery and build quality were not there. That I could have dealt with but the software was not ready for prime time. So back it went.

Then I got an iPad. I was in love. Until this announcement. Fortunately it was still within the return period. The hard part has been living without it for a week.

iPad2 will likely be $20 more in Canada. That seems to be the new pricing difference from Apple. Apple did have an issue with the iPad2 link taking you to the US site for awhile (not sure if it still does) so that is likely the pricing you saw Hugh. You could tell the difference when you went to order and Verizon and AT&T were listed as the carriers. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is a delay before it makes it across the border. Especially if they have trouble keeping up with orders in the US. They are also apparently in the process of changing suppliers for the CPU so there could be production issues.

If I had an iPad 1 and no easy upgrade path I might skip this one. In my view the faster processor/GPU alone is worth it. Double the memory also wont hurt. I can't see why anyone would want to cheap out on a older model right now. I expect that the new apps will start taking advantage of the new processor. Eventually like anything the older iPad will no longer be able to run the latest software.

I also like the idea of the slightly smaller and lighter design. In tests the battery even lasts longer. The Cameras don't do much for me. They are only good for documenting something. You wouldn't want to make prints or take family photos with them.

I expect I will get a 32 or 64 gig AT&T 3G to work on Robbers here. I found it was too easy to fill the 16 gig. Anyone have any experience using a US iPad on Robbers?

Shuffling off to Buffalo on Friday.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts