Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
This means that there is no guarantee an app will continue to run on older hardware, there is little incentive for developers to make older apps work, there is no reasoning behind it...
I've found a few major reasons for the failure apps. The the two most common ones appear to be changes in the operating system (iOS/Android) that make it fail (crashes, etc) and changes made to service provider protocols that make communication with their servers fail. If the app maker has stopped providing updates or cannot provide updates due to lack of OS, hardware or service provider support then it's the end of the line. There isn't a lot of incentive to support 10 year old devices for the original device and component makers. They are in the business of selling new hardware so it is more profitable not to. Sometimes it's nearly impossible for developers to update apps due to lack of resources, such as support for development tools from the hardware makers. Windows support usually ends after 5 to 10 years. Newer Apple (iPhone 6) hardware loses support after 7 years. The best for Android seems to be 5 years. That's for flagship devices from major brands. It's worse for other products. I've seen generic or bargain brands that receive no support at all, even when new.

It's not just PC's, phones and tablets that this affects. I have an internet streaming radio that has lost most of its ability to stream music services. The last service that stopped working stated that the device app is no longer supported. I'm left with half a one year subscription that no longer works. Their support person was very helpful in providing a list of other devices that are supported but they were all unsuitable due to lack of functionality. Smart TV apps sometimes stop working after 3 or 4 years as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,260 Posts
I was going to suggest you use your Browser but I just checked and you need IOS 10 for OverDrive Read.

I am still amazed by E-ink. Every time I walk by the Kobo and see the cover art on display my instinct to turn the device off (it is already off) kicks in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi there,

My wife's iPad 2 is pretty old, but it still ran the Overdrive/Libby App to download books from the library, until yesterday. Overdrive tech said,

" I'm afraid that as of October 2021, Libby is no longer supported on iPhones and iPads running iOS 9. This is because of a recent change made by Libby's web certificate provider."

Since Apple does not provide any updates to the iPad 2, it is forever stuck on IOS 9, and she can't access the library online. I told her to just get a new iPad but she is mad at Apple. Anyone have any workarounds or recommendations for a low budget device to access the library?

Thanks.
Keith
Hardware can last a long time. A good reason to keep using old hardware is to protect the environment. I have tv that are over 10 years, they still work great. The 1080p on the tv is better that over the air picture quality. My first generation apple tv still works great but apple refuse to let me sign in to apple account. My ipad 2 still works good on ios 9. It is best to keep older versions of applications and do not update them. Older ipads use 32bit and newer ipads are 64bit. So new apps are designed to run on 64bit hardware and may not work on older ipad. It is best to use itunes 12.6 that still manage the apps on your ipad.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Hardware CAN last a long time but sometimes rules and regulations and bureaucracy and changes to the law can cause working hardware to be useless. I do not want to go off topic here but my uncle had a very good reliable TV set but when the government mandated the switch over from NTSC to ATSC his perfectly good reliable TV was unable to receive Antenna broadcasts on its own as the internal tuner was only NTSC. This was a Government mandate that caused hardware to become obsolete.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
The issue is that hardware can last much longer than the technology. While today's hardware could, theoretically, last 50 years the technology changes significantly every 5 to 10 years. 70 years ago it was the opposite. Much of that 1950s technology would last up to 50 years but the hardware often failed after only 5 to 10 years. (There are lots of examples of hardware lasting longer but it is a small fraction of what was produced.) I don't see the pace of technological innovation slowing down any in the near future. What we need now is better methods for recycling hardware to conserve scarce resources and the planet.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Hardware CAN last a long time but sometimes rules and regulations and bureaucracy and changes to the law can cause working hardware to be useless. I do not want to go off topic here but my uncle had a very good reliable TV set but when the government mandated the switch over from NTSC to ATSC his perfectly good reliable TV was unable to receive Antenna broadcasts on its own as the internal tuner was only NTSC. This was a Government mandate that caused hardware to become obsolete.
NTSC has been around since 1941, so it was time to move on. It was the HD of it's day, but was certainly showing it's age by the time ATSC came out.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
There is nothing stopping anyone with an NTSC TV from obtaining an ATSC tuner with an NTSC output. The US government was practically giving them away. It's also possible to use the composite NTSC output on a cable box or other device. However, calling an NTSC CRT TV "a very good reliable TV set" in 2021 is a bit of a stretch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Update, if you're interested. We ended up buying a Lenovo Smart Tab M8 from Best Buy for $129. I checked with Overdrive and they said their minimum requirement was Android 5. It came with Android 9 and I updated it to Android 10, so hopefully support will last a while. This option was better than an e-reader because it has audio for audio books. I downloaded Libby and happy wife, happy life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the Libby app working on my iPad 3 with iOS 9.3.5 by doing the following:
In Safari on the iPad, I downloaded the ISRG Root X1 certificate at https://letsencrypt.org/certs/isrgrootx1.der Safari let me install the "untrusted" certificate and the Libby app now works. The certificate is just the newer one from the same folks that also provided the older Libby certificate that stopped working, so it can be trusted.

57 - Quote Syntax Corrected, Unnecessary Quote Removed.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts