Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My wife's iPad 2 is pretty old, but it still ran the Overdrive/Libby App to download books from the library, until yesterday. Overdrive tech said,

" I'm afraid that as of October 2021, Libby is no longer supported on iPhones and iPads running iOS 9. This is because of a recent change made by Libby's web certificate provider."

Since Apple does not provide any updates to the iPad 2, it is forever stuck on IOS 9, and she can't access the library online. I told her to just get a new iPad but she is mad at Apple. Anyone have any workarounds or recommendations for a low budget device to access the library?

Thanks.
Keith

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Not sure why your wife would be mad at Apple for moving on from 10 year old hardware but how big a screen does she want? You can get a Fire HD 8" tablet on sale from Amazon for $80, jailbreak it to allow access to Google's Play Store, and install Libby.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
In all honesty im not surprised. Some people use older devices, tablets and hardware because its all they can afford, have you seen the prices of these gadgets lately? theyre very expensive. Because of this not everyone can afford the top of the line some people are holding onto older devices because its all they can afford, but software developers and apple want to both hold back on updates to older devices, it sucks, yes it really does, but this is the new trend and theres no going backwards. sometimes advancements in technology means older tech will become obsolete much faster im affraid.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
I'm surprised it worked for 10 years. I've seen devices that lost support and had apps stop working in much less time than that. Apple devices typically work longer than Android. The official support life of apple tablets is 5 years. Android devices lose O/S support after 4 years at best. The fault is often with the chip makers, not the device makers. In general, phones and tablets are only designed to last 3-5 years.

have you seen the prices of these gadgets lately? theyre very expensive.
Top of the line premium devices have hit the stratosphere lately. High end Apple or Samsung phones and tablets are CAD$1000 plus and they are obsolete in about 5 years. Some brands and tablets are inexpensive though. The Fire tablet mentioned above is a good deal but may be restricted and lack some apps. Another option is a Chromebook. Some off-brand generic tablets and phones receive little or no support from the device maker. I usually keep devices until official support is about to end. Then I wait until the new models are announced and look for steep discounts on last year's model. Then I sell the one I have to help defray the cost.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
@17671 For those of us old enough to remember the 1980's and 1990's, what you've said is exactly backwards. I remember paying $5,000 in ~1986 money for a PC that was obsolete only after a few years. Even in the 2000's, expensive Blackberries got one or two OS upgrades. And some Windows mobile devices couldn't even be upgraded once. Reliably upgradeable PC's were only a thing about 13-15 years after they initially launched. Phones and tablets will probably follow the same pattern.

Edit: My older iPad Air is from 2014 and will support iPad OS 15. That's seven years. I've never had a computer last that long.

The Fire tablet is definitely restricted out of the box - jailbreaking makes it a "regular" Android tablet.

·
Super Moderator
56,874 Posts
If you're mainly using it for e-books, I suggest you consider a dedicated e-Reader like a Kobo. (Only certain makes/models models are compatible with the library - they have a list on the website) The newer ones work via WiFi. You can search books using the Kobo itself, but my wife who loves her Kobo, usually reserves books via our computer or new iPad Air and the books can be automatically downloaded at a specific time (like overnight) or you can "sync" at any time to the Kobo

We have the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2, purchased from Indigo 2.5 years ago. They probably have newer models by now.

It will be lighter, better screen quality, etc. You can purchase those for about $100-200 new depending on model. You can probably find a lot of used ones inexpensively on Kijiji or similar as well for about $50.

I can't imagine using the (old) iPad for things like magazines - it would be painfully slow for that.

We use our iPad Air (2020) for reading magazines on Overdrive/Library. We tried using our old iPad Air (about 8 years old) and it just doesn't have the horsepower for that, so we purchased the iPad Air 2020 in early 2021. Our old iPad air is used only for streaming now, which it is fine for, but I can't believe how slow it was for everything even just web-surfing. There comes a time when the old equipment simply isn't suitable any more for some things.

I have a 10-year old MacBook Pro that I have connected to my TV for YouTube watching, so old things can still do some things, but our new MacBook Air blows it out of the water for everything else.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I bought a Kobo Libra H20 (has OverDrive support) last week as a gift. Screen is significantly better than the Fire HD for ebooks but it was $200.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Simple to convert a Fire Tablet and they work well, certainly for library book reading mags etc. 10inch is my favourite if you can handle the weight while reading.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
@17671 For those of us old enough to remember the 1980's and 1990's, what you've said is exactly backwards. I remember paying $5,000 in ~1986 money for a PC that was obsolete only after a few years. Even in the 2000's, expensive Blackberries got one or two OS upgrades. And some Windows mobile devices couldn't even be upgraded once. Reliably upgradeable PC's were only a thing about 13-15 years after they initially launched. Phones and tablets will probably follow the same pattern.

Edit: My older iPad Air is from 2014 and will support iPad OS 15. That's seven years. I've never had a computer last that long.

The Fire tablet is definitely restricted out of the box - jailbreaking makes it a "regular" Android tablet.
Your dragging this a bit off topic and just like you I also got my first computer in the mid 90's as well. However I do remember we paid a lot less. My family was not rich so we got the low end computer it was a lot less than $5000 and I still to this day know the guy who owned the computer store. Just like ipads computers had different price ranges even in the mid 90s. my computer lasted me quite a few years before i replaced it and just because a new one comes out does not mean i need to hop on it right away if the old one still works and serves its purpose.

without taking this off topic, I also owned an iPad 2 just like the initial poster does. I had the same problem with getting certain apps to run after an update. This is not new and my explanation was perfectly good. Apple can let older hardware run more modern apps but they choose NOT to, the end of lifecycle process exists in ALL devices not just apple, its well known and well talked about.

The only thing is you don't NEED an apple to run that specific app you can run it on an android or kindle or what ever, and you might have a slightly different experience. but yes eventually if your device is old enough and had planned obsolesce in its design, it will not work well after a certain point.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Your dragging this a bit off topic and just like you I also got my first computer in the mid 90's as well. However I do remember we paid a lot less.
By the mid 90's, personal computers were a well established business. My first computer, an IMSAI 8080, was over $2000 in 1976. Around the same time, I bought a new 1976 Mercury Monarch for about $6500. I then bought an XT clone in the late 80's and it was also around $2000.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
to keep it simple and not further going off topic, I'm going to say "I concur" now lets get back to the discussion at hand

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
If you don't want threads to go offtopic, then perhaps don't make the first offtopic post. And note that that I was referring to the mid-80's, not mid-90's. Ten years is a huge difference for new tech, both in terms of price and longevity.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
in all honesty I said this before which is on topic not off topic, but you will have a very terrible experience with apples iPad 2. I had one myself, but I also experienced the same exact thing as you did which I mentioned already and some apps just stopped working and there was no recourse. The reason why is because its deemed end of life by not just apple but the app makers as well. They want you to constantly get a new tablet every couple of years, its a industry trend that's been happening since the mid 2000's and we do not need to make any comparison with computers from the 1980s or 1990s nor how much they cost that is irrelevant and most certainly off topic and not necessary for this conversation.

Grab a nice amazon or android tablet and download the app and you should be good to go

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
LOL. "Never mind what I've just said is all wrong, the posts pointing out my errors are all off topic".

Fact: The OP's desired app on an iPad 2 stopped working after 10 years, not a "couple".

Fact: My 7 year old iPad Air 2 will run iOS 15. That's more than a couple years.

Fact: Your implication that Android tablets are better supported than iPads is just as wrong as your assertion that Netflix only showed its own movies (yes, I remember that howler). Here's an article from 2017 that shows how long iPad 2-era Android tablets were supported: https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/...s-software-updates-revisited-two-years-later/ Hint: Not very long. Even now, the top Android tablet maker, Samsung, "...is now offering three major Android OS updates to select Galaxy phones and tablets instead of two. This policy is valid for select Galaxy devices that were released in 2019 and later". [List] Galaxy devices that will be eligible for One UI 4.0 (Android 12) update Three whole years! (but only for 2019+ tablets!)

Fact: You're the one who first mentioned how "very expensive" gadgets are and for some reason assumed that a "top of the line" gadget is needed. The 2010 entry-level iPad was $499 USD. The current entry-level iPad (which is perfectly fine for many people - I just bought one for my Dad to replace his heavily used 2013 iPad Air (hmmmm, more than a couple years old) - is $329 USD.

The OP wanted a low budget device. That's why he should go with Android (and to be clear, the low budget Androids are not what I would consider "nice"). Not because of some made up facts about how Apple products go end of life so quickly.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Three whole years! (but only for 2019+ tablets!)
That's for operating system upgrades, not updates. If you are expecting new versions of Android to be installed after 3 years, say Android 11 to Android 12, it won't happen. I believe the upgrade policy prior to 2019 was two years. Security updates will continue for 4 years which, I believe, was the case prior to 2019. Note that this limitation is reported to be created by the SOC (system on a chip) maker, Qualcomm , who withdraws low level support for their chips after 3 years. Now that Apple is making it's own SOC for Apple products it could continue to support its products indefinitely but will likely continue to place some limits on support, traditionally longer than Android devices.

Apps are a different issue. Some app makers disappear quickly while others stop supporting older operating systems for technical reasons. In any case, expecting software and operating system support past ten years is unreasonable, especially in today's market place, due to rapid changes in technology and hardware requirements for newer applications.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I remember buying floppy disks at $1 per Mb. That would make my 6Tb Wd drive worth 6 million dollars. And I have 2 of them.

Back to the topic - I never heard of Libby and looked it up. I clicked the link to use in a browser
and got to the point of adding a library card at my local library.

It worked on my 11 year old Acer i7 desktop and my 10 year old Acer 15.6 inch touch screen laptop that I bought for $459. Both are running Windows 10.

So then I dug out my 12 year old Acer 10.1 inch netbook and it worked on that. Avg free antivirus updated itself and the battery charged up to 100%.

So what about a browser on an eyepad?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
So here is a summary of what we learned from this thread

a 10 year old iPad2 will not run a popular app such as Libby, however a 10 year old Android, an 11 year old Acer i7 and a 10 year old Acer Touch screen laptop can run it just fine. This means that there is no guarantee an app will continue to run on older hardware, there is little incentive for developers to make older apps work, there is no reasoning behind it just some have a different tolerance for end of life hardware than others. it also does NOT mean android is better than apple. but its definitely more affordable. there's ways to get your apps to work so do your homework and look at all factors, there was some great suggestions in this thread too, thanks for all the wonderful contributions everyone.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
The Mississauga library has both Overdrive and Libby. I prefer Overdrive. If available, it might work where Libby doesn't.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts