Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly familiar with the cameras which are designed to connect to a system/DVR type recorder.

I know they can be accessed via IP usually directly to say monitor live, etc.

I am just not sure how well they are STAND ALONE.

Really, I am just looking for ONE outdoor camera, IP connectivity, which can be set up to record back to a PC.
(I have a server always on witch it can record to)

Brands, recommendations, etc.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks to be wireless, etc, not a huge deal, I can do wired there, but would be simpler.

Guessing a regular DC connection? (power brick)

Remote login, etc all seems capable... is there anything to GRAB its view/recordings?

·
Registered
543 Posts
All my cameras are Foscams so I have no comparisons. One thing lacking with this camera is an onboard SD card to store recordings like the FI9821W/FI9831Ws do.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Most digital security cameras are capable of streaming video as well as grabbing still shots. Obviously, some sort of video software that is capable of viewing and writing the stream to disk would be required. That may be supplied by the vendor or something like VLC should work. Recording to a vendor supplied cloud server may also be an option. Another feature of many digital cameras is the ability to detect motion and either record the stills to a server (cloud or local) or email them. That can be a real time saver compared to reviewing recorded footage and can be set up to act as an alarm.

For power, POE is one option. That can be done with a simple adapter and power brick or a POE switch. There is no way of getting away from wiring so POE is a good, all in one, option. I'd stay away from wireless since it adds cost and can be jammed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got the TrendNet TV-IP862IC on sale ($98)and I am quiet happy with it.
While it's not a true outside sealed WiFi cam,it was easy to build a simple shelter for it.
It's 720p and has pan and tilt,with a built in Mic and speaker.
You can record to any PC on your home network, you can also set it up using the provided software to watch and control it over the Internet using Trednet's Cloud.
There is also software for using it with your mobile device,but I have not tried it.
Also has a SD slot for recording and grabbing stills with the motion software.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting, I will have to look at the trendnet a little more.
I know we get a fair bit of condensation / humidity where I am.. and building an enclosure, that's what I would be worried about.
It looks like the trendnet OUTDOOR cameras, while they also come with the software... they all appear to be PoE.. (which then require an injector.. or finding their specific DC adapter)

Thanks for the info though.

Took a look at the COSTCO stuff.. the SWAN has some nice stand alone ones.. they save to their CLOUD service.. great! until you look, that you only get 1 day of storage for free, anything further is 9.99+ / month.
I have ample storage, I could store myself.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I have a couple of Foscam outdoor models that are Pan and Tilt that are pretty good for about $150. I have several Trendnet indoors as well. You can have software do the recording for you - iSpy is pretty good and basic functionality is free.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What's a good option to go with the Synology NAS and their surveillance software?

I have one reason I want a camera. Lady down the street walks her dog and lets it crap on anyones lawn without picking it up. Spoken to her and she pretty much says to f-off.

I have a wi-fi sprinkler system.

I want a camera that will send a shot to my phone if someone is in the region (on my front lawn). If it is her, I'm going to fire up the sprinklers. Hopefully spook the dog enough to avoid the lawn.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Foscam ones look pretty promising, for the price.
Decent price.. seem to have ability to write to my storage..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Best bang for the buck IMHO, are the Hikvision POE cameras. I have a bunch of DS-2CD2032-I units. Outdoor rated. IR with an auto-switching IR filter. Really good quality.
Buying options are re-branded as Swan at Costco 2 for $269. Rebranded as Trendnet TV-IP310PI for $219 (waaay too much) Nelly's security in the U.S. for $149, or direct from China for about $90.00 U.S.

Personally I have 2 from Nelly's and 4 from China. They make my Foscam and Dlink cameras look like toys.
I use them with Blue Iris software ($50 ish for up to 64 cameras) which gives me great flexibility in recording, alerting etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts