Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
it is weird.. they do claim of performance decrease when using wallpaper. who knows how much of an actual effect it has, or if its just another missing feature like battery percentage.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Very annoying that multitasking is severely limited on the phone even though it's the first time it's finally available. As the article pointed out, sometimes all you want to do is move the app aside so you can quickly deal with an incoming message.

And isn't wallpaper just a background image? Why would there even be a performance hit?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I dunno, I do like how they're approaching multitasking. Putting effort into not hurting the performance or battery life of the phone. When you look at Android, it seems almost everyone goes looking for a task manager to worry about shutting down apps theyre not using. I guess the fast app switching will be most important when you need to quickly reply to a message.

My guess is that apple actually found some sort of issue with wallpaper with performance, or more likely they're doing it to have a more visual difference from the 3G to 3GS.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Well I have two beefs so far.

1. I don't want the wallpaper behind my icons. Its too cluttered and hard to read.
2. This one is more serious. At nights I like to put my iPhone on my bedside clock radio and listen to podcasts. In the past, I got a message that my iPhone was not completely compatible and would I like to go into Airplane mode. I would say yes and all was good. Now it won't go into Airplane Mode. It just gives me a dialog box but no airplane mode option. To go into Airplane Mode, I now have to go into settings and make the changes then in the morning do the opposite.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The wallpaper is an option right? I've seen quite a few that are simple textures and look nice without making it difficult to see icons or text.

Interesting about that Airplane Mode.. i thought the only way to get to it was through Settings. Part of that is something i've always disliked (and as a result always jailbreak) - having to go through settings, maybe 3-4 steps just to turn bluetooth on or off.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The wallpaper is an option right?
FYI, after investigation, I see you can have different wallpaper on the lock and home screens. I have no left an image on my lock screen and changed the wallpaper on my home screen to something less obtrusive.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Yeah, mine took about about 1/2 hour. To be honest, I'm not seeing much of the benefits on iOS4. Where's the desktop wallpaper? or the folders?

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah, mine took about about 1/2 hour. To be honest, I'm not seeing much of the benefits on iOS4. Where's the desktop wallpaper? or the folders?
Drag an icon over another and that will allow you to create a folder.

Wallpapers are available in the Settings under wallpapers (Home screen and lock screen can be changed if you have a 3GS)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've got an Alpine system in my car optimized for iPods. Everything I've read so far points to issues with the new OS. Alpine is terrible about firmware updates for the head unit so I'll hold back for now.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have a 3G.

I suggest setting up as a fresh device when you upgrade. I noticed a great speed improvement by doing this. Restoring your old apps and settings may slow down the 3G, which is quite a slug compared to the 3GS and 4.

I also used redsn0w jailbreak to use multitasking and the home screen background, and it runs reasonably well also.

I dunno, I do like how they're approaching multitasking. Putting effort into not hurting the performance or battery life of the phone. When you look at Android, it seems almost everyone goes looking for a task manager to worry about shutting down apps theyre not using. I guess the fast app switching will be most important when you need to quickly reply to a message.

My guess is that apple actually found some sort of issue with wallpaper with performance, or more likely they're doing it to have a more visual difference from the 3G to 3GS.
That is a myth about Android. Its multitasking is great IMO, and it shuts down the apps if CPU usage or battery life is getting low. Apps that are just open, and not doing anything, do not consume any power. They are sitting in RAM which is always powered anyways. Sure, this may use more power overall but you get more features and flexibility.

Apple has limited the multitasking to audio, VOIP, and GPS pretty much. No background updates for RSS, social networking, stock feeds, etc.. you still havemanually load the app and refresh or use push notifications if supported by the app. IMO this multi tasking is half assed at best.

Its like saying a turbo powered engine uses more fuel than the same non-turbo engine. Pick your poison I guess.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have a 3G.

I suggest setting up as a fresh device when you upgrade. I noticed a great speed improvement by doing this. Restoring your old apps and settings may slow down the 3G, which is quite a slug compared to the 3GS and 4.

I also used redsn0w jailbreak to use multitasking and the home screen background, and it runs reasonably well also.

That is a myth about Android. Its multitasking is great IMO, and it shuts down the apps if CPU usage or battery life is getting low. Apps that are just open, and not doing anything, do not consume any power. They are sitting in RAM which is always powered anyways. Sure, this may use more power overall but you get more features and flexibility.

Apple has limited the multitasking to audio, VOIP, and GPS pretty much. No background updates for RSS, social networking, stock feeds, etc.. you still havemanually load the app and refresh or use push notifications if supported by the app. IMO this multi tasking is half assed at best.

Its like saying a turbo powered engine uses more fuel than the same non-turbo engine. Pick your poison I guess.
I wouldn't put it that way. I've used a few different Android phones, and it is pretty obvious the effect multitasking can have on battery life. Really have no way to control which apps are multitasking. With big amounts of RAM that doesn't really worry me, but background updates, RSS, social networking, etc, these are things that take cpu cycles while running. Whenever I had more apps like this running, the faster the battery would drain on any android phone I used. Hey, not necessarily a bad thing, its good to have choice. Just the only thing I didnt like is that I had no control on how long an app would continue to run or which apps could be set to continue running when exited or shut down completely.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Well I have two beefs so far.
1. ....
2. This one is more serious. At nights I like to put my iPhone on my bedside clock radio and listen to podcasts. In the past, I got a message that my iPhone was not completely compatible and would I like to go into Airplane mode. I would say yes and all was good. Now it won't go into Airplane Mode. It just gives me a dialog box but no airplane mode option. To go into Airplane Mode, I now have to go into settings and make the changes then in the morning do the opposite.
Getting back to hugh's beef #2, I see this as a significant upgrade. It always bugged me that when I put my iPhone into an older dock or hooked it to my Pioneer car nav unit, it'd ask if I wanted to put it into Airplane Mode? Why? I'm just charging it? Why would the default on not recognizing a charging device be to go to Airplane Mode?

Like I say, can't wait to get iOS4 on the 3G (waiting for an upgrade on MyWi - can't live without that).

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I'm guessing one of the reasons they did that was due to GSM speaker buzz on older docks that weren't optimized for iPhone. If you've ever had your GSM phone near unshielded speakers, you'll probably know what I mean.

Hard to say for sure though.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Getting back to hugh's beef #2, I see this as a significant upgrade.
When I wrote it, I thought that I could see times when this might be considered a positive. Personally I would have liked a "dock" option in settings that said whether or not to put the iPhone in Airplane mode automatically when hooked up to an older dock.

In my case, its a clock radio so it needs to be in Airplane mode to avoid interference. (plus I don't want the phone ringing when I fall asleep)

·
Registered
763 Posts
I agree with you on that one. I think we need the ability to control a few more options.

Another one that bothers me (though I was excited at first) is that 4.0 brings along persistent wifi. wifi will now stay on when the phone is put to sleep (pushing the sleep/wake button). I went looking for the option in 4.0 for persistent wifi only to end up finding out thats how it will always behave. Would have been much nicer to choose whether wifi stays on when the phone goes to sleep.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts