Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I want consumers to have the choice, however, my preference is that video providers move to HTML 5. (provided HTML 5 addresses the very real deficiencies highlight by video providers)

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, this browser turned out to be so popular, the vendor had to pull it from the App store because their rendering servers were overwhelmed.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Skyfire has now announced it will resume sales in the App Store but in limited numbers until it has the server capacity to meet demand. Twitter will be used to let people know when it's ready to take more orders and potential customers are warned sales periods could be brief.

One has to wonder if it's all a matter of server capacity or if a lot of it is viral marketing and hype building. Very good for sales though.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Anyone seen any hint of it in the Canadian iTunes store? Something I read elsewhere made it sound like it was a USA release only at this time, rolling out to other countries in the near future.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm not sure how these guys can make a profit, I mean unless they expect most people won't actually use the service they're going to be on the hook for constant server costs while they only charged a one time (I assume?) fee for their app.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I haven't tried it, but my understanding is that the service is very limited, and for things like certain videos it just changes the flags so that H.264 via HTML is served instead of Flash when possible, independent of their servers.

So, their servers only handle very specific stuff for transcoding, and they charge $2.99 for the service.

Are they making money? I dunno, but if they could actually get pretty widespread use out of it and have it work with the iPad, I'd pay $4.99 for it… and actually consider buying an iPad. I won't buy an iPad now because of its lack of Flash, and because there is no real replacement yet for Flash.

The ironic part is that although they got $1 million in revenue that first week for the app, $300000 of that went to Apple. So, Apple got $300000+ for an app that provides what they hate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts