Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walked into a couple Honda dealerships today expecting to just pick a trim level and order a new '14 Accord. Based on information I had on the US version, I expected fairly deep iOS integration, but I came to learn that the Canadian models don't offer it :mad:

Thats a showstopper for me, just like In 2011 when I couldn't buy a Toyota Tundra because it lacked even basic iPod integration.

So my question is....can anyone recommend Canadian vehicles with deep iOS integration...at least Siri Eyes-Free level? Price is important but not the most important criteria.

Alternatively, a US model that is easily importable (seamless metric dash) is doable...

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
From what I have seen the best technology in a car is a Tesla S, but I am not sure that it integrates with iOS. But it has a 17" touchscreen display that has far more functionality than what is in my Lexus and what I have used in a 2013 Lincoln with the MS Sync system.

I have a 2013 Lexus GS 350 and it has pretty good voice rec for dialling, etc. It can also read out your emails and send basic responses. It is supposed to be pretty sophisticated in terms of the whole the system but I was very disappointed. There is an iOS app called Lexus Enform but, of course, it doesn't work in Canada.

I wish you could just snap an ipad mini into the dash that would integrate with your car's controls like climate, radio, etc

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
try Scion. Six years ago, they were ahead of everyone by a wide gap. can't imagine they've lowed down, as youth is their clientele

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
The Scion's made by Toyota, isn't it? I find it hard to believe that they would have better tech in their Scion's than a Lexus, even though the Scion is aimed at a much younger clientele. In a quick look at their website for a few models I don't even see LCD screens in the dash.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It looks like the 2014 Chevy Spark and Cruze (and others?) with their MyLink system has Siri-Eyes-Free available in their Canadian models.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Audiovox media bridge seems a little constrained. Any recommendations for something that replaces the head unit altogether?

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Does it really matter how fast your car is at going 0-60 when you are lucky to ever hit 60 km/h on the 401? I would rather have a car that has an excellent in car tech system and I regret that I didn't by a Tesla S since it seems the best in class for this right now.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
ssbtech said:
People buy cars based on how well they integrate with a phone and not for how they drive?
Do you really think these requirements are mutually exclusive?

Personally, if you're going to have the car for a few years and if in-car tech was a major consideration, I'd want a car that has a dash which would allow me to add aftermarket stereo components. With the exception of Ford Sync and MyFord Touch, car manufacturers seem to be playing a "wait and see" game as far as smartphone integration goes.

In my case I got a aftermarket Pioneer head unit with a big screen and great integration with smartphones via Bluetooth. I use a smartphone car dock to use Google Maps navigation and to charge my phone while driving.

For the most part, the end result is good. I just wish the voice recognition was better so I could reliably fire off commands to the phone while driving.

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
Does it really matter how fast your car is at going 0-60 when you are lucky to ever hit 60 km/h on the 401?
There's a lot more to how a car drives than just acceleration. And I'm not sure where you're driving, but I use the 401 every day in Toronto, from Scarborough to Etobicoke, and I am very rarely restricted to 60 km/h. Maybe at peak morning rush hour. And even then, most people don't live in suburban Toronto.

However, I take a more holistic view of choosing a car. How it drives is a factor, as is reliability, fuel efficiency, safety, and even how it looks. And of course the infotainment system. If it's terrible, it will frustrate you for the life of the car, and you will like the car much less as a result.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If I'm driving I'm trying to pay attention to traffic. The last thing I want to be thinking about is having an SMS conversation via text-to-speech.

And we wonder why the overall quality of driving seems to be taking a dive lately.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Why would one want to do ANY of those things while driving?
I get my songs from Sirius, don't make calls while driving, haven't received a text in years, use a garmin and paper maps for nav.
I guess this makes me very old fashioned.

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
Why would one want to do ANY of those things while driving?
I get my songs from Sirius, don't make calls while driving, haven't received a text in years, use a garmin and paper maps for nav.
I guess this makes me very old fashioned.
Not necessarily (well, maybe the paper maps), but not everybody is going to be like you. I don't have Sirius. I don't often make calls while driving, but I often receive calls I need to take, as a part of my job. And I use my phone for all my navigation.

Of course I do.
So then surely you can at least see the value in being able to play off your phone and change songs/playlists hands free? The point is that not everybody has the same needs as you, but that doesn't make them any less valid.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts