Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't see how to start a poll...

Anyways, I'm a PC gamer just starting out with a PS3. Luckily the PS3 may start allowing you to use a keyboard and mouse with FPS games (eg. Unreal Tournament 3).

But I've been playing Ratchet and Clank, and I tried the demo for Uncharted: Drake, and boy, I'm having a lot of trouble. I always assumed the aiming for consoles would be automatic, or somehow easier.

So, I need to get used to this. And I'm wondering if anyone has any tips. Most importantly, I want to know if I should get used to inverting the y-axis or not (maybe a mod can do a poll to see if gamers are playing with inverted y's or not).

I feel better with the inverted y-axis for just running around (btw, both games I've played so far are third-person views, actually). But as soon as I'm aiming to shoot, the inverted control confuses me.

So, what's everyone doing?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can't reply to Ratchet & Crank, but I've played lots of games and spent years playing Dark Ages of Camelot. I always invert the Y axis. I think if you're used to flight sims you would be used to the normal Y axis, but I can't get used to it. Then again, that's just how I play. Use what feels more natural to you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Asif9t9...
I'm in the same situation as you. Instead of upgrading a PC forever, I've switched gaming to console. Most big games are on all platforms anyway.

In playing Resistance: Fall of Man demo, well... basically I found it extremely frustrating in terms of the setup. I found myself running at a bunch of Chimeras, and shooting into blue sky.
I bought the game and switched the Aiming to the Left and Move to the Right. This works much better and seems to be more intuitive.

I did not try with the Y-axis inverted, might be worth a try though.

It seems the console shooters are programmed to be a little more lenient in targetting and hits. PC games seem tuned to be very exact in terms of this, so you get a bit of a handicap.

I thought about getting a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to try to 'go back' to a more PC like environment... but I think that defeats the idea of the console environment (ie sitting on the couch with just the controller.

Over time, I'll adapt to the controller.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think if you're used to flight sims you would be used to the normal Y axis
I find that flight sims are better with a inverted y axis because it's more realistic: push up/forward = point nose down, pull back/push down = point nose up. Because of that, I always play with an inverted y-axis.

·
Registered
115 Posts
same here i got used to flight sim controls, so every game i play i had to invert the y axis.
uncharted
cod4
resistance
graw2

·
Registered
388 Posts
I thought about getting a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to try to 'go back' to a more PC like environment... but I think that defeats the idea of the console environment (ie sitting on the couch with just the controller.

Over time, I'll adapt to the controller.
The keyboard/mouse combo only works in specific games designed for it--Unreal Tournament 3 is the only one I'm aware of. One alternative is the Splitfish FragFX controller, which is a hybrid controller and mouse. It works with all PS3 games.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Invert here as well..but I wish all FPS games had the option to support keyboard+mouse..it would fit on my lap nicely using my laptop pad

·
Registered
30 Posts
Inverted here as well. As a former WASD and mouser I found it takes a bit of getting used. I am at the one year mark with my 360 and am just now getting used to it but still don't feel quite as comfy as the mouse and keyboard.

I do not miss the hassle of PC Gaming though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts