Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's been a little chatter in the voip.ms thread about iNum, but it's not really specific to voip.ms so I thought I'd put my question in a new thread:

I know that voip.ms gives free iNum numbers out ($0/month, $0.00 for incoming/outgoing minutes), but how does this work for the rest of the world?

1. Is the number accessible from any PSTN line around the world by dialling the 883 country code directly? Or do you have to use a local access number in every case?
  2. If able to dial the number direct, what are the rates for dialling an 883 country code, say from China or from the UK, or the Kingdom of Tonga?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Most carriers do not yet support the 883 country code, so you have to dial an access number first. Here is a list of access numbers, and carriers that actually do support 883: http://www.inum.net/what-is-inum/voice-reach/

One note: if you want people from out of town to be able to call you for free, there is a way to do it with your current phone number: ENUM and SIPBroker. Sign up at http://www.e164.org/ and register your number, with your VoIP.ms SIP URI. (your 10-digit phone [email protected].) Then give your friends this list: http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/action/pstnNumbers

To make it work, just dial any one of the SIPBroker PSTN numbers, wait for the prompt, and then dial your regular phone number, starting with 1. SIPBroker will do an ENUM lookup and route your call via SIP.

m.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I know there is no guarantee into the future, but what are the chances that voip.ms will start charging a monthly fee for iNum? Has anyone seen anything published indicating if iNum's are free for a limited time, or if they are supposed to be free forever?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I doubt VoIP.ms will start charging for iNum. For one thing, the iNum website states "free peering between iNums". Even if things change and companies do start charging, I guess it will probably be a very minimal bandwidth recovery fee, like $0.001 per minute, since internet traffic is so much cheaper than PSTN traffic.

At this moment, it probably costs VoIP.ms and other providers so little to offer iNum that they're happy to use it as a loss leader. I don't see a reason for them to start charging until it becomes a very significant portion of their traffic. iNum has such a small footprint at this moment that it will have to be free to attain any sort of adoption at all.

m.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mango, I've started to play around with the solution u suggested (thank you!), but do u find that the sip broker lines are kinda flaky? I get a fast busy about half the time...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Really? That's annoying. I suppose you get what you pay for :-/ I do notice that some of the access numbers are limited to 2 channels at one time. So possibly they're just in use.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That may be it, but i was deliberately testing on lines that didnt advertise that 2 line limit...

·
Registered
405 Posts
The ones that don't advertise the 2 line limit probably only have 1 line. I was looking through that sipBroker website also and their news was last updated over 3 years ago. Doesn't inspire the highest confidence levels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SipBroker and iNum

SipBroker seems a little moribund. There is really no one in central charge, more like a pot luck dinner.

------------------------------------

iNum seems to be progressing. Being pushed by the Voxbone company, there is at least someone "at home".

iNum numbers are available from many providers, such as Voip.MS, CallCentric, Localphone, and many others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts