Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am on the extreme pluse plan and i was wondering how come when I test my speed on the rogers speedcheck i get 25mbps download and 1mbps upload but on sites like speedtest.net i get 13mbps download and 1mbps upload

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Try a few different speedtest sites. I've found significant variation among them. Also, last week, speedtest was showing faster than Rogers on my connection. Normally, however, I find speedtest closely matches Rogers.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
A speedtest from your provider is always going to be the fastest because its the shortest route. Since 3rd party speedtest always go through your ISP, it would be impossible to be faster.

Obviously the absolute download speed can change at various points during the day because of congestion issues and server loads but the relative speed will obviously be higher from your ISP.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Civuck, not sure what your post has to do with the OP's question?

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
I also get different speeds from various test sites and various locations (servers) on those sites. I recently tested using the new Shaw site:

http://speedtest.shaw.ca/

I find that the various tests are usually pretty close to what I should be getting on Express 10/0.5. Since Rogers have brought in "powerboost". I'm usually able to exceed my 10 download.

The only "true" test is to go to a large site and download a large file, noting the size and how long it takes to download and calculate the bitrate, remembering 8 bits/byte.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
A speedtest from your provider is always going to be the fastest because its the shortest route.
I think that speed boost Rogers and others currently use messes that up. When I checked earlier this morning, I was getting about 16 Mb/s according to Rogers and about 26 with speedtest Toronto. I have the 10 Mb/s Extreme service on Rogers. Prior to that speed boost, I'd usually have speedtest results very close to Rogers at about 10 Mb/s. That speed boost will make results more sensitive to how much data is used for the test.

As I mentioned earlier, different speedtest sites may give different results. This means you might want to try different sites, if you're getting significantly different results from your ISP and speedtest. As an example, there's an Oakville speedtest site that used to give very poor results, but it appears better now.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hugh - I think JamesK understood my post in that I was underscoring his point to the OP that different servers can provide different (often vastly) results. And sometimes geographic location isn't always an advantage.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I agree with the assertions that Rogers' SpeedBoosts are messing with the accuracy of test results. However, as long as you're consistently at or higher than the advertised speed that you're paying for, there's not much to complain about!

However, since none of them will likely comply with the Weight's and Measure's Act, it's anyone's guess what you're truly getting.

Reading the OP again, I'd question if it's consistently lower than what you're paying for. Rogers is normally fairly close to the advertised speed. As Hugh points out, there may be a difference between the ISP's speed test and a real-world speed test. BUT it shouldn't be 10Mbps off- that seems like a huge variant.

As James said, check with a few different speed test sites, see what the results are and go from there. Too far off from what you're paying for, and I'd be giving Rogers a call.

Something's amiss here, Rogers' speed test actually redirects to http://speedtest.net. They're not using their own.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
^^^^
Are you sure you're going to the right site? I certainly don't wind up at speedtest when I use the Rogers speed check.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I just ran the three tests in sequence. Please note that my PC is also very very busy copying a few thousand small (.5k - 2k) files to a USB stick. I have Rogers Ultimate.

Started running these tests at 1440hrs on a Saturday afternoon.

Shaw:
Ping: 133ms
Download: 17.7Mbps
Upload: 0.54Mbps

Speedtest using the suggested Oakville server:
Ping: 27ms
Download: 20.97Mbps
Upload: 0.58Mbps

Rogers per the link in an earlier message:
Download: 17.9Mbps
Upload: 609Kbps

Interesting that Shaw and Rogers are so close for download and upload, while Speedtest shows faster download.

For me, the even more interesting part is that when Speedtest is run at offhourse with a PC that is not busy, I get up to 58Mbps download and almost 2Mbps upload. Ultimate is supposed to give me 50Mbps down and 2Mbps up, so I do get the speeds that I am paying for, at times.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I noticed big jumps in speed, doing speed tests today. I have Rogers Extreme, but I'm using the older modem so I'm limited to 10Mb/s speed.

Despite that, I've been getting speed test results showing speeds of 15 - 25Mb/s speeds.

However, these speed results aren't really accurate. Rogers Speed Boost seems to be the reason why, and the extra download speed in excess of the service max, are short-lived.

When downloading a 197 Mb file from Tucows, the download speed started out at a rockin' pace, but after a minute or so it had slowed and stabalized at 1.25 MB/s which represents the maximum download speed for a 10Mb/s service. The total time to download 197 Mb was 2 minutes and 47 seconds.

10 Mb/s = 10,240 Kbps = 1.25 MB/s.

So, I'm getting the max....but only the max, after the short-lived 'speed boost'. The speed boost lasts long enough to boost your speed test results, but not long enough to allow for any significant speed improvement when downloading a very large file.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rogers Speedtest usually says I am around 50 Mb/s
Speedtest.Net usually says I am around 30-35 Mb/s
SpeakEasy says I am near 40 Mb/s

And here is what I download at, ever single day for months. (75 Mb/s package)

I generally find the speed test sites very unreliable.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
^^^^
I used to have similar Rogers and Speedtest results, but that speed boost thing has inflated the results, far more so on Speedtest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts