Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have 'Net access on my iMAC through a wired cable modem connection.

I turned on the Internet Sharing feature so that I surf throughout the house on my Mac Book.

Any security concerns with this?

I do see the lock symbol besides my network name. Does that mean that it is secure?

Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
As long as you set a decent password when you enabled it, it should be fine. Just as secure as any other wireless modem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that -- makes me wonder why anyone would need an Airport Express or other router when you can use the Internet Sharing feature?!

What have I missed?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi Rgomes. I haven't used the Internet Sharing option before, so just took a look at it now. I believe the difference between doing this, and having a router to share your connection, is that your Mac that does the network sharing would have to be left on in order for the connection to remain active. So you would no doubt be using more power for your Mac than for a router.
Having your system on means it is more exposed to things like weather related power hits, and any network probing that may be happening (as long as you have your firewall turned on though, that is likely a non-issue).
The lock icon in your system preferences (open, or closed) simply indicates whether your settings can be changed without requiring a system admin password.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts