Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been some discussion on here about whether an internet radio station is really radio or not, but with that argument aside, I thought it MIGHT be fun to start a general "internet radio" thread. If you discover an interesting internet channel, or group of channels, let us know about it.

My first contribution to this Thread is the "Outpost Radio Stations" web site.

Outpost Radio Stations

Classic Jazz, Classic Pop, Classic Rock, New Folk, and Instrumental channels are just a few of the choices you'll find here.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
I use a free (ad-supported) radio app on my phone for listening to popular over-the-air stations, usually at my cottage which is out of range. The app, Simple Radio, supports Internet stations as well. Frankly, the internet-radio stations are great. I'm tiring of the repetitive and large amount of ads on conventional radio stations.

Reactions: NovaMan

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Others I've used are are iNetRadio, AccuRadio and TuneIn. Then there are iHeartRadio and free versions of popular streaming services such as LiveXLive, Amazon Music and Spotify. There is a lot of music on YouTube. Many, maybe most, radio stations have streaming options on their web sites and can be found by simply searching their call letters or by using TuneIn's search function on their 100,000+ stations. Some stations have multiple streams covering alternate genres or every genre they have broadcast since their inception. Another interesting option is user supported Radio Paradise.

Most of this has been discussed in other threads on the site.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right you are ExDilbert; I thought maybe this Thread could be used to point out the more obscure web sites that many of us may have missed. Like you stated, many of the more popular ones have their own Threads already.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speaking of obscure stuff:

The thing about radio stations is that they have to appeal to certain audiences. The formats that fit most audiences seem run-of-the-mill, but that’s because they work: rock, hip-hop, top 40, that sort of thing. But sometimes stations don’t care about appealing to large groups of people and choose to target niche audiences instead. That’s how we end up with some truly weird radio formats, including these oddball stations from around the world. Enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts